• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Back away with the juice!!

redneckhippy

Reaction score
Now that my LO is 4 months old it's like everyone (everyone being my inlaws) is trying to tell me he needs juice. :dohh: Why is everyone so obsessed with this? The AAP says no juice until AT LEAST 6 months and honestly I don't plan to do juice at all except if he's constipated or as an occassional treat. I never had juice as a child and managed to grow up just fine. I'm tired of justifying why I won't give my 4 month old juice (or other foods). He's a baby. A baby who is growing and thriving on breast milk alone. Why are people so eager to mess with that??? :growlmad:

Ugh. I had a little struggle with dh about this. He didn't want to give it before we started blw but he thought it was something kiddo should have. I stood my ground and he is 27 months and only drinks breast milk, cow's milk, and water. I also don't drink juice and dh hardly drinks any anymore. He told me that he actually read that the people who make the Canada Food Guide are actually talking about taking juice off the food guide.

I agree! It's ridiculous. It's just basically sugar water. Even his doctor is telling us to try giving him cereal. I don't understand it, especially because the WHO, UNICEF, and AAP all recommend milk only until six months of age. Just stand your ground. My response is always the same: "I don't feel comfortable with it yet." Luckily, no one has persisted with the issue.

Juice is so bad for their teeth! My mum works in a care home for children and their dentists reccomend they don't have juice at all before the age of 5.
I'm with you on that though my MIL keeps asking if I've started giving him juice yet! (Started asking when he was about 8 weeks old!) They don't know what juice is so it's not like they're missing it! He'll be having water/milk/ possibly water flavored with fruit as a treat until he's at least a few years old.

Juice is so bad for their teeth! My mum works in a care home for children and their dentists reccomend they don't have juice at all before the age of 5.

Wow, I hadn't heard 5 years. I guess everyone is so obsessed with giving juice I hear that it's ok at 1.

DH and I have not decided when we will give our lo juice but we know that there is no need for it for a very long time. I just worry about the family too. I expect that we are going to have to be very clear with them about all our food choices. One of the grandchildren is was obsessed with chocolate and Tim Hortons donuts at age 2.

We are foster parents also and find that the kids parents like to give them juice early, I had a fit about that one. I spoke with the doctor and they said you could give it at 1 but there is no need for it at all.

I just came from his pediatrition and his dr is very happy with him being on ONLY breastmilk. At least I can tell my in-laws, NO his dr doesn't want him on juice. My niece was hooked on Diet Pepsi before age one. I will FLIP OUT if anyone tries to give my baby soda.

I just came from his pediatrition and his dr is very happy with him being on ONLY breastmilk. At least I can tell my in-laws, NO his dr doesn't want him on juice. My niece was hooked on Diet Pepsi before age one. I will FLIP OUT if anyone tries to give my baby soda.

This!!! My father is constantly saying it's okay for ds1 to have soda since he's 4 now (almost 5) and I couldn't disagree more! Children do NOT need soda, he says well I'll just give him a sprite since there is no caffeine but the caffeine is not the only reason I don't want him to have it and my father just doesn't understand. But at almost 5 he still hasn't had soda and rarely gets juice and when he does I water it down! Just stand your ground! Your child your rules :hugs: GL

When I was on holiday last summer there was a little boy who couldn't have been any older than one (he couldn't walk yet put it that way!) who was sat drinking full fat coke from his tommee tippee bottle. I don't usually think twice about anyone else's parenting choices but I wanted to give his mother's head a shake. All that sugar! Crazy.

This!!! My father is constantly saying it's okay for ds1 to have soda since he's 4 now (almost 5) and I couldn't disagree more! Children do NOT need soda, he says well I'll just give him a sprite since there is no caffeine but the caffeine is not the only reason I don't want him to have it and my father just doesn't understand. But at almost 5 he still hasn't had soda and rarely gets juice and when he does I water it down! Just stand your ground! Your child your rules :hugs: GL

It makes me insane. I understand that at some point kids are kids and will aquire some bad eating habits. There will be birthday parties and school lunch rooms and I don't pretend that my child will reach voting age without every having soda cross his lips. But it is beyond me why an adult would knowingly introduce something so unhealthy to a baby. A baby doesn't know about peer pressure or commercials or anything like that, so why are you giving the baby sips of your soda or putting soda in the baby bottle. Do you want to give the baby a few puffs on your cigarrette while you're at it? :dohh: It really makes my blood boil. It's like intentionally setting the baby up for a lifetime of obesity and health problems. I know it's just a matter of time before I see my in-laws coming at my baby with a sip of soda and God-forbid if they succeed in getting it in his mouth before I can stop it, heads will roll.

Saw this thread and wanted to chime in - my 6year old drinks only milk and water. Nursed until 22 months, never had juice in his life! The closest he comes is the odd smoothie (which is still not juice - it's blended fruit with yogurt, meaning less sugar and there's still fibre in it which juice does NOT have)! His teeth are perfect and he stays properly hydrated, drinks 1-1.5 litres of water/day. :)

When I was on holiday last summer there was a little boy who couldn't have been any older than one (he couldn't walk yet put it that way!) who was sat drinking full fat coke from his tommee tippee bottle. I don't usually think twice about anyone else's parenting choices but I wanted to give his mother's head a shake. All that sugar! Crazy.

My cousin gave her almost 1 yr old coke at my sons 2nd bday party. Cringe! I do not give my child anything but milk and water. He doesnt need anymore then that!

Maybe there should be a rule on age. Once a child can open the can, they are old enough to drink out of the can. lol

Maybe there should be a rule on age. Once a child can open the can, they are old enough to drink out of the can. lol

I still can't open cans properly and I'm 22 😂 that's not fair! Hahaha

Saw this thread and wanted to chime in - my 6year old drinks only milk and water. Nursed until 22 months, never had juice in his life! The closest he comes is the odd smoothie (which is still not juice - it's blended fruit with yogurt, meaning less sugar and there's still fibre in it which juice does NOT have)! His teeth are perfect and he stays properly hydrated, drinks 1-1.5 litres of water/day. :)

My child is 4.5 yrs old. He's drank water forever. If he's thirsty, he asks for water. It still confuses my parents and in laws that water is his drink of choice. He knows that anything else is a treat. We taught him that drinking is for quenching thirst. He seldom you gets anything else to drink and if he does he knows it's a huge treat. He's also never been to the dentist and his teeth are perfect. Perfectly white and clean. I'm very proud of that,when he has cousins and peers his age getting cavities filled. That's so unfair to make a toddler/young child to go through.

It should be interesting when my lo comes. Not only does DH not agree with juice and pop, but store bought baby food and all processed foods. He says we have to warn our families that they are not to feed our child. We want to ensure that all the child's good is fresh for as long as possible.

I know that my mom doesn't eat anything that is not processed and on the other side my niece has been addicted to Tim Hortons and Kinder Eggs since age 2.

My daughter is 21 months old and still doesn't drink juice. She asks for milk or water. The only time I ever regretted not introducing her to juice was around 18 months. She had repeat ear infections and ended up with tubes. Long story short, she got very sick after the surgery and everyone kept telling me she needed to drink Pedialiate or Gatorade (something more than water)! All she wanted was milk and water. I ended up settling with frozen breast milk I had left and smart water with electrolytes. That's the ONLY time I've regretted not having a juice baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->