Bacteria in powder?! Come on!!

lolalei3

Mum of one gorgeous girl
Reaction score
Ok I'm getting so overwhelmed by all this having to add water to formula at 70 degrees to kill the bacteria in the powder crap! I mean really?? Is it not enough that we get a sealed tin of formula, use cooled boiled water and sterilise our bottles?? Are we becoming too paranoid these days??

I agree. I never used water that hot and my daughter turned out just fine! One of my friends used to sterilise the knife that she used to level off the scoop of powder!! Not one to judge, if someone thinks thier way is right I respect that, but I was never Ott with things like that.

ugh so many rules! cooled boiled water does the trick. when you have a screaming baby in your arms at 4 in the morning the last thing your thinking about is whether the waters at 70 degrees lol

x

In New Zealand we aren't advised to add the powder to hot water. I think it is getting a bit OTT in my opinion.

Just tried the 'by the book' way boiling kettle letting cool for 30minutes then adding powder and cool in cold water bath and my formula went lumpy and didn't mix! I use Aptamil AR for reflux maybe it's not meant to be heated up that much as it seems to change it's consistancy! Hehe go figure! Well back to my old way with my trusty flask!!

Ok I'm getting so overwhelmed by all this having to add water to formula at 70 degrees to kill the bacteria in the powder crap! I mean really?? Is it not enough that we get a sealed tin of formula, use cooled boiled water and sterilise our bottles?? Are we becoming too paranoid these days??

The point is though that that particular sealed tin *could* be contaminated with bacteria such as salmonella or enterobactor. If it is, it doesn't really matter if the bottles are sterilised or the water is cool boiled - you'll be mixing contaminated powder.
It's a minute risk, but it does exist. The risk is so small but the consequences are large so you just have to make a decision you feel comfortable with.

Erm yes because it's not made under sterile conditions, the equipment it's made with will not be sterilised all the time, the tins they are put in are not sterile and everytime you take the lid off your introducing bacteria via the air. It may be powdered but it's still milk and bacteria loves it. Just look at how quick a cup of cows milk spoils if it's left out. It may be not be an issue if you have a full term healthy baby but if you have a prem or a baby with a compromised immune system it can make them really poorly if the water is not hot enough.

I dont think its a that vital to add to 70degree water, but its advised because it COULD cause problems.

I guess its all just advice and its up to you whether to follow it or not.

Personally I make all my bottles with hot water (just boiled), adding formula and storing in fridge and using as and when I need them.

I personally think it's a little over the top too, but no offense to anyone who does it. It's not even a recommended guidline in the US :shrug: Maybe we have stricter regulations for the processing plants and it's not a concern :shrug: I also don't know anyone at all who sterilized their bottles between uses, when they're first purchased, yes, but after that I feel like hot water and dish soap is enough.

Someone mentioned that if you have an immune system compromized lo, they can get really sick - yes, this is the only time I personally think it's necessary and the cans of formula here even state so. They say something like "powdered formula is not sterile so speak with you pediatrician about the need to use hot water IF you have a preterm or otherwise immune system compromized baby".

I will say that I am carefully that my hands are very clean when I'm making up bottles and formula and the kind I use has this niftly little scoop holder under the lid so that way you're not sticking your hands into the powder every time you make it.

Formula is a food stuff and like all foods it is not sterile and must be stored and prepared as the manufacturers recommend. You can choose to not follow their instructions but then if it goes wrong you have no recourse. There is no harm in making it with hot water; and if it reduces the chance of contamination however small then that can only be a good thing. There was a thread here a will ago about a lady who found a live flour weavil in a tub of cow and gate. The whole factory could be infested with them for all we know. Hot water is a good idea in my opinion.

Not all tins of formula tell u to use hot water, some say cool boiled water!

strange...when my son was a baby he REFUSED warmed up bottles so we had room temp. I told his pediatrician and he said there wasn't medical evidence that convinced him it was necessary to warm them? I never heard the bacteria stuff until coming on here.

Well my daughter will only drink warm bottles so we heat the water in the mircrowave and then dump the powder in. Even when we premade bottles we never used warm water.

This was always my argument, too. Whilst I used reflux milk, both Enfamil AR and SMA staydown, BOTH tins say to use cold water (otherwise its too thick), I used to use room temperature.
Now my argument is these are not made in any different conditions than 'standard' milk, and in fact probably exactly the same factory/line. I cant see there being anymore of an issue using cooled boiled between the two, except one advises it and one doesn't.

That said, its your call, you do what ever you are comfortable with, and if you don't want to do the nights as recommended you could always try the cartons instead?

Yeah the ready to feed cartons are great, I used to use them at night. I'd take my sterilised bottles upstairs with me at bed time, and the cartons, and just use those! Easy peasy.

The tins here are sterilsed before the milk powder goes in them. But i don't think the powder is sterile but i had never heard of anything like adding it to very hot water to kill bacteria before i came on here. So different countries must have different guidelines. I think the UK are a lot stricter on it than the US, NZ or Australia

At the end of the day I still lick the bowl out when I bake a cake, which has raw eggs, which is a salmonella risk. Personal choice. Just do whatever it says on your tin of formula. Also worth noting is if you follow the instructions then if something goes wrong you maybe able to hold the manufacturer responsible. If you don't they will just say you didn't follow the instructions and you have no recourse.

To be honest, I make my baby's bottles and I made my son's bottles the exact same way I made my daughters bottles 11 years ago. My older 2 were totally fine x

It depends on the brand you're using. Ours requires the formula powder to be mixed in cooled boiled water of 50°c. More than that and nutrients could be destroyed and less than that the powder wouldn't dissolve as well. So, I've been following the instructions for the one we're using exactly. I've seen some comments on here stating all formula needs to be mixed in water over 70°c in temp. but that isn't the case.

What you do with your baby is completly fine for you aslong as your aware of the risks. I agree yes it may be a small risk but not a risk me or anyone looking after my daughter is prepared to take.

My daughter is fullterm ( born at 41 weeks) and perfectly healthy. And I still wouldnt risk it because its not just premie babys that are at risk.

It isnt that hard to make bottles. All this " i cant be bothered to wait half an hour". i dont wait half an hour for nothing and yet i still make the bottles as reccomended for uk guidlines.

I fill my flask in the morning.
Iwhen ready to make a 6 ounce bottle.
I pour 3 ounces of boiled water , add the formula. stir or swirl. then add 3 ounces of cool boiled water. shake and serve. how simple is that? i dont see what the big deal is

How do you know the water is 70 degrees? as I've heard any hotter and it kills nutrients. I can't wait half an hour for kettle to boil so often put it in straight off the boil, maybe a touch of cooled boiled water to bring temp down a bit then add powder and top up with cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->