Bad Advice from Doctor.

cskme_

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This morning I woke up and my pee hole was stinging (sorry if TMI). Sometimes I will get this if I am dehydrated. If I drink enough water it will just go away on its own.
Later on in the morning I noticed my lower back had a dull ache. There are many factors that could cause this aching, I work at a computer all day, I could have slept wrong, etc. etc.
Just to be safe I called my OBGYN and mentioned it to her. She told me drink lots of water and if it doesn't go away by this evening to go to the emergency room as it could be contractions.
I told her the pain is not strong at all, it could even be my muscles or anything, just the accompaniment of the stinging pee hole is what concerned me and I was just wondering if she thought maybe I should go to a walk-in clinic. Either way she just repeated herself. I then called my mom and told her and she freaked me out by saying "Yeah just listen to her, maybe you should go to emerge just to be safe". She then called me like 3 times within an hour to check on me. I know she's only concerned but I had to tell her that her concern is only making me nervous.
I don't feel like wasting the rest of my day waiting in the emergency room, and I don't want to take antibiotics for a UTI that I may not have, especially since antibiotics always give me thrush.
Does anyone know if this feeling is common?
I've been drinking cranberry juice and water all day and the stinging has subsided. Back pain is still there but it just seems like muscle pain to me. I think I'm going to follow my instincts and trust that everything is fine. I'm just annoyed by the doctors and my mothers response.

Even if it is nothing, Either way you need to Get checked out, a UTI in pregnancy needs to be sorted and possible labour pains need to be monitored.

I'm having the exact same issue!! I got antibiotics for a urine infection but the pain is still there after finishing the course. :s

Id go and get your urine tested as the stinging and back pain sounds like typical uti symptoms. I don't think they would prescribe anyibiotics if your urine was negative, but I would take antibiotics if recommended by a doctor because although thrush is horrible, a uti left untreated can be very dangerous. Personally I wouldn't go to the hospital but I'd certainly want a doctor to check me over.

Here, a Dr would test a wee sample and give antibiotics if the results coupled with symptons indicated a water infection. They'd not recommend to just drink water not would they say to go to A&E, they'd see you first. I find it a bit odd really. As others said you need to keep an eye on it, a bad water infection set me off into early labour with my first

Untreated UTIs can actually trigger contractions and preterm labor. Early signs of preterm labor can present as nothing more than a backache. I can see what your doctor and mother might be concerned about. I think the first step would be to establish whether or not you have a UTI. Then go from there.

Thanks everyone, the feeling went away completely. I will book myself in for a quick dr. Appointment after work tomorrow just to do a quick pee sample. Does anyone know how long you have to have a UTI for to go into preterm labour? Is it if it's left untreated for a certain amount of time?

Terrible advice. I am in UK. I have had this a few times, i went to go who gave me antibiotics and sent sample to lab. I called back and didnhave infection and received correct antibiotics. You definitely need a sample done.

Terrible advice. I am in UK. I have had this a few times, i went to go who gave me antibiotics and sent sample to lab. I called back and didnhave infection and received correct antibiotics. You definitely need a sample done.

That's the thing that sucks, here it takes 3 days to get your urine results back, so they give you antibiotics to be safe. I could end up taking 3 days of antibiotics and then they tell me it was nothing.
The emergency room is the only place I can go if I would like immediate urine results. I am no longer in pain today, but I've gotten kind of worried looking this stuff up online so I am going to go in later today just to be safe.

I would say that sounds very much like a UTI. I've had loads of them, but never felt anything like that when I was pregnant. I would take antibiotics in a second if that's what it was as I've been left in really bad shape by some UTIs, literally urinating out blood clots and in excruciating pain within about 24 hours. I had a friend who didn't even know she had one, no real symptoms, and she went into preterm labour at 34 weeks, so you can't be too careful. If it's nothing, then nothing will show up on the urinalysis. But I've never had a urine test come up abnormal when I wasn't really sick, so better to get it checked than not.

Thanks everyone, the feeling went away completely. I will book myself in for a quick dr. Appointment after work tomorrow just to do a quick pee sample. Does anyone know how long you have to have a UTI for to go into preterm labour? Is it if it's left untreated for a certain amount of time?

Please don't wait until a possible UTI gets bad... I didn't even know I had one last pregnancy at 31 weeks until I went into pre-term labor. I had to rush to labor & delivery so they could give me a bunch of shots to stall my labor. I had no signs of a UTI before this, but apparently my urine was "very dirty."

Please don't wait until a possible UTI gets bad... I didn't even know I had one last pregnancy at 31 weeks until I went into pre-term labor. I had to rush to labor & delivery so they could give me a bunch of shots to stall my labor. I had no signs of a UTI before this, but apparently my urine was "very dirty."

Thank you! I definitely took everyone's advice and just sucked it up and went to emerge. They took me in pretty quick I'm just waiting on results. They checked babies heart beat everything is fine so far. There are a bunch of ladies around me that are in labour and omg it sounds painful and exciting

I had something similar with my daughter and I really didnt have any UTI symptoms. I ended up have a kidney infection, kidney stones and dehydration. Which can all lead to preterm labor. I got IV abx and they gave me like 2 + liters of fluid. So its best to get checked out.

---sorry missed the last update. hope everything is alright.

Everything was fine, urine test came back negative. I had the same stinging feeling in my urethra just before bed the other night. It only lasts for maybe an hour and goes away. The nurse just told me to stay hydrated.
If they weren't concerned I will try not to be concerned lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->