Bare Minimum Registry

AshlynThomas9

Reaction score
Hi there!

I was wondering what you guys would consider being the bare minimum shopping list for a newborn. I know should gt things like clothing and diapers, but what about things like a bouncy seat and all? Can't I wait to get those until a little later?

I would get muslins or some other type of similar cloth because you can use them for anything for years (we still use our old ones for things and my daughter is 4.5 now). Things you need for feeding and sleeping.

If you plan to BF, I would get some nipple cream and a pump unless you absolutely don't plan to pump ever (it can be really crucial for getting your supply up if you have any trouble early on). If you plan to FF, then bottles, steriliser, bottle brush and something to soak bottles in when cleaning (you probably won't want to use whatever you use for other dishes and pots as the fats can adhere to the bottles and be hard to clean).

Then blankets, sleeping bag, fitted sheets, waterproof mattress cover (there will be leaks) for wherever baby will sleep. Wipes. I would buy a gentle scent free bran you like in bulk if it's cheaper. You'll go through them fast.

A changing mat. I found the one that went across the top of the cot and was movable was the best. During the day, we would bring it downstairs so I could do changes on the floor downstairs without having to run up and down the steps all day.

We didn't really have anything like a bouncer chair until maybe after 4 weeks. It was handy because I needed to pump so I could put her down in that while I was pumping. But we ordered it online and had it delivered when we realised we wanted it. It's not something we needed straight away.

The one thing I am grateful we had before that was really lifesaving from the start was a moby wrap. It helped so much when I just needed my hands free, especially after my husband went back to work. It takes some practice and getting used to, so I was glad we had it before so I could practice a bit before I was too completely exhausted to work it out.

You don't need loads of toys or books at first. Or really any of it. Probably by 3-4 months, they'll have an interest, but they are really too little before that. You also don't need any clothes that aren't vests and sleepsuits. We had a few outfits that were bought for us as gifts, but we never bought any ourselves in the first 3 months and we barely used them. Just very basic clothes will do it until they get a bit bigger.

I would get muslins or some other type of similar cloth because you can use them for anything for years (we still use our old ones for things and my daughter is 4.5 now). Things you need for feeding and sleeping.

If you plan to BF, I would get some nipple cream and a pump unless you absolutely don't plan to pump ever (it can be really crucial for getting your supply up if you have any trouble early on). If you plan to FF, then bottles, steriliser, bottle brush and something to soak bottles in when cleaning (you probably won't want to use whatever you use for other dishes and pots as the fats can adhere to the bottles and be hard to clean).

Then blankets, sleeping bag, fitted sheets, waterproof mattress cover (there will be leaks) for wherever baby will sleep. Wipes. I would buy a gentle scent free bran you like in bulk if it's cheaper. You'll go through them fast.

A changing mat. I found the one that went across the top of the cot and was movable was the best. During the day, we would bring it downstairs so I could do changes on the floor downstairs without having to run up and down the steps all day.

We didn't really have anything like a bouncer chair until maybe after 4 weeks. It was handy because I needed to pump so I could put her down in that while I was pumping. But we ordered it online and had it delivered when we realised we wanted it. It's not something we needed straight away.

The one thing I am grateful we had before that was really lifesaving from the start was a moby wrap. It helped so much when I just needed my hands free, especially after my husband went back to work. It takes some practice and getting used to, so I was glad we had it before so I could practice a bit before I was too completely exhausted to work it out.

You don't need loads of toys or books at first. Or really any of it. Probably by 3-4 months, they'll have an interest, but they are really too little before that. You also don't need any clothes that aren't vests and sleepsuits. We had a few outfits that were bought for us as gifts, but we never bought any ourselves in the first 3 months and we barely used them. Just very basic clothes will do it until they get a bit bigger.

First of all, thanks a ton for all the help! Also, how many sleepsuits would you suggest I get?

My DD was early and when I was in the hospital the one thing I knew we desperately needed before we came home was a basinet. We got one that is light weight with wheels so it's very portable which I love. The other thing I discovered I needed more of was changing pad covers... even more so than extra crib sheets. She's too squirmy for swaddling so I agree with the sleepsacks.. We got three but I think two would have been enough. Make sure you have a thermometer and a suction.

All I've ever needed are:
clothing
nappies
somewhere for baby to sleep
something to transport baby in (carseat, pram or baby carrier)

I only used a dummy/pacifier with #2. #1 & #2 needed to be swaddled so I did buy various swaddle wrap thingies. #3 was the only spilly baby so she was the only one who needed burp cloths and bibs.

We've gone really basic with #3! Never even bought her a single toy.

I've never used a changing pad, nappy bag, bouncer etc.

These ladies have done a good job. I would say for the number of sleep suits we had 7 and that was too few. I would say 10-12 would have helped a lot.

I also had a pack n play that I found extremely helpful. It had a bassinet attachment and a changing attachment. Ds slept in it for 6 weeks in our room. We used the changer part probably until he was a year and outgrew it.

Thank you all so much! I have another question, though. Would you recommend a portacot or a bassinet or something else? I've heard that portacots are too hard and uncomfortable for babies. Unfortunately they don't sell pack n plays in Australia as far as I can tell so that's out.

If you don't mind that a basinet is mostly only useful for a short period of time I would recommend it over the pack n play/portacot. (They look very similar to me) I'm not currently using the pack n play as the basinet is far easier to move around my house and I like having her right next to me if she's not in my arms. I wouldn't purchase a high end one though, I only see it being useful until she transfers to sleeping in her crib.

If you only ever plan on getting one or the other though.. That's a harder decision that I can't give an opinion on yet as my son had neither. (Though I'm not quite sure how I managed!)

We kept our baby stuff to a minimum, but here are specific items I recommend:

It's kind of a splurge, but I suggest getting a DockATot. Ours is totally invaluable to us, and has been since the day our son came home from the hospital.

I've also really loved muslin blankets. They are a little more spendy than flannel, but are far softer and breathable, and particularly nice for a summer baby.

The Boba wrap is great, but is too hot for summer outdoor use, IMO. Still, I suggest having something for baby wearing. I do use my Boba for indoor shopping trips.

The other thing we use daily is our swing. It's automatic with different swing speeds, and plays music/sounds. This thing is worth a million bucks...it's provided so many quality naps.

Sleep sacks are good. We really love sleeping gowns, and use those almost every night.

Those little car seat strap bumpers. My son falls sleep every car ride, and the position his head falls in when his bumpers aren't in place makes me cringe. Get nice cushy ones.

Socks. Naked toes are always cold.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back