Basics of the birthing centres at hospitals?

aliss

Reaction score
Can someone explain the 'basics' of a birthing centre? Does this mean only midwives, doulas, and the tubs, etc? The birthing centre here is attached to the hospital. How do the rooms differ from the hospital, in general? Is it correct that epidurals are NOT available? (I do not want one to be available).

Sorry for such a basic question!

Thanks for any comments and experiences! :thumbup:

If they are like they are over here they are a lot less clinical, they are no doctors just midwife's and no epidurals. They only take low risk births, if you need to see a doctor or need more pain relief you will be transferred to the hospital.

Much more 'homely' environment, not clinical looking. I had Ruby in a stand alone birth centre and it was basically like a hotel room with a birthing pool in it. Double bed, it's your private room for labour birth and delivery, no going to the postnatal ward. No epidurals - at mine it was g&a and pethidine only.

The birth centre told me that 40% of 2nd and subsequent - time mums are transferred to hospital (50% of first timers).

Is previous shoulder dystocia still considered low risk, do you guys know?

Is previous shoulder dystocia still considered low risk, do you guys know?

Im not allowed at the birth centre but the rules might be different over there.

There were a long list of 'rules' for the birth centre I had Ruby at. I don't know about previous labour complications though, I don't know if they'd necessarily be relevant, if say an induction was a likely cause last time when you wouldn't get induced at a birth centre. I guess they do look at circumstances.

I had LO at a birthing centre, and it was amazing - A huge room with a birthing cool, bed, sofa, arm chair, birthing stool and then in the corner a little place to check baby.

I was in hospital the weekend before I had LO and I was on the labour ward and I hated it, but the birthing centre was completely different and I loved it.

I had the option of G&A and pethadine, but only used G&A for a little while, and didnt have the pethadine. I found the MW's were very keen for you to believe in yourself and the ability of your body to get you through it all, and only at one point did I question whether or not I could keep going and asked the MW if she thought I could do it, and she was very much "No, you wont be getting one", and she helped get back into the right place mentally to do it. I needed that kind of person when going through the transition stage, as I had been in labout 20 hours and was exhausted, and had she been different I may have given up and had the epidural, and I'm so glad I didnt as I had LO with no tearing and was up in the shower an hour later and home just after lunch after having LO in the morning.

It was perfect for me and my birth story, which is linked in my sig shows it.

Here are some pics.... xx

ETA - It was a BC within a hospital.

Oh and mine only had MW's but I was very lucky to have one with me the whole time and two for the pushing stage. xx

I had my LO in the birthing centre but it was independent from the hospital, about 40 minutes away by car.

There were only midwifes there but i had a student midwife and a qualified midwife with me the whole time i was there apart from about 10 minutes. I don't think they would of left me though if i hadn't had my mum and husband there.

The only pain relief options were gas and air and pethadine. However, like 24's experience the midwife were really supportive in you believing in yourself and i managed to do it with out any pain relief what so ever.

In my room there was a bed, a toilet and a nice big bath/shower to labour in and you could have a bath after the baby had been born. There was a birth pool in the other room but it was being used when i was in labour. There was also a birth ball and a birth stool available. It was definately more homely and i wasn't rushed out of the room afterwards either.

It was the best experience ever and i honestly believe it was due to not being in hospital and the midwifes being so relaxed and supportive. When i have my next baby (all being well) i'll definately choose a birthing centre again!

Birthing centre all the way for me next time too if I have a problem free pregnancy - It was absolutely perfect, just like it was for meow.

I had high BP and was in hospital the week before I had LO and he measured small for dates but I was still able to go there. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->