BBC news story - breakfast determins sex of baby

T

tinytoes

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7358384.stm
This all seems a little silly to me....isnt it all to do with Xs and Ys?

I thought the sex was determined by the Dad's sperm?!

Arent all eggs XX? i.e a girl? Doesnt the gender of the baby depend on whether the sperm brings in boy or gril chromosomes? (XX or XY?..)

I dunno...maybe i didnt pay enough attention in genetics class

Well, I was on a low-calorie diet when my LO came along.. Well, hardly any calories atall haha

I really doubt this is true though

Not true whats so ever, i eat ceral like it goes out of fashion have done since i could eat!! Love the stuff , never miss breakfast ceral in the morning, i have a daughter and expecting another! So its all poo in my opinon!

Sorry I'm laughing, I just read the percentages (56% and 45%) and the calorie intake difference (200 calories)

I could understand if the difference was 1000 calories and the %'s were 90% or 10%..

yeah i thought all eggs were XX and if they meet a Y they become little male babies..hmmm
then again i don't have a clue about all that stuff lol!!

x

"I would urge women to not to start starving themselves in order to try influence the sex of their baby."

good lord, people come up with some rubbish. I had a high calorie diet and I'm having a girl. Hmmm...

I think its just a bit of a co incedence and people are clutching at straws with this one

What a load of rubbish.

xxx

I never eat breakfast, & never have, & I had a girl.. but I also eat a high calorie diet so I doubt there's much truth behind it.

I have a high calorie diet and having a boy but I've never eaten breakfast either so I think it's all rubbish :lol:

It is the male that determines the sex of the baby. If a womans egg is fertilised with a Y sperm baby will be a boy but if it's fertilised with an X sperm it will be a girl :wacko: All eggs are X so it depends on the males sperm as to what sex the baby is.

If you study any large group of statistics you can pretty much draw out any conclusion you want to see. It doesnt mean its anything other than a coinsidence.

That said I hope it right......:)

Well there can be one definate conclusion.....slow news day.....

I hate that they put this in the paper, my OH is now insistant I start eating 2500 calories a day for atleast 2 months before we try for number 2 so we have a boy. ICK. I am not eating that much. :|

Wow.... sounds like a complete load of b*****s to me.

I don't ever eat breakfast and I never eat high calorie diets and I had my son first and then my daughter lol.

I almost never ate breakfast before I pg and certainly didn't eat it after (up until recently...was too sick!). I didn't eat a low-calorie diet either...(didn't get fat from not eating! lol) and LO is definietly a girl.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7358384.stm
This all seems a little silly to me....isnt it all to do with Xs and Ys?

I thought the sex was determined by the Dad's sperm?!

Arent all eggs XX? i.e a girl? Doesnt the gender of the baby depend on whether the sperm brings in boy or gril chromosomes? (XX or XY?..)

I dunno...maybe i didnt pay enough attention in genetics class

Yes, gametes (reproductive cells [eggs, and sperm]) carry one set of sex chromosomes.

Eggs - X
Sperm - X or Y

So when egg and sperm combine XX or XY determines gender. XX= Girl / XY= Boy

And diet and lifestyle can certainly effect the cells in our bodies. It is entirely possible (though IMHO highly unlikely for this to be a huge difference) for eggs (as they mature each cycle) to develop an outer membrane that is more suseptible to penetration and fertilization from one sperm gender or another.

i would like to think its true (i want a girl!), as before i got pregnant i would never have time to eat breakfast..guess ill find out in a few weeks!

I hate that they put this in the paper, my OH is now insistant I start eating 2500 calories a day for atleast 2 months before we try for number 2 so we have a boy. ICK. I am not eating that much. :|

as normally active women we can handle 2000 calories a day anyway so it's not that much more....just a twix, and a kitkat maybe. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->