BBT question

21yrsurvivor

Reaction score
I have a question about taking your BBT with a standard digital thermometer. Can the placement and how far you place it under the tongue change your result? I ask this because I take it a few times before entering my data on FF and the number is always changing. Anyone else have the same problem?

I aways use the same point under my tongue..but make sure you are using a bbt thermometer...they are more sensitive and give you results to the hundredth decimal point...also make sure it's the first thing you do in the morning. Don't even sit up or anything...

I do the same. I try and do the same placement each morning - i also will take it 2-3x before getting up. The way I look at it, is if its close enough then ill go ahead and use the first one. if its off by like...drastic...ill skip it cuz i missed the right temp them

Using a standard digital thermometer won't work sweetheart. You need a basal body thermometer, as the temp shifts are so slight, that a normal thermometer won't give you an accurate chart.
I always use the same spot under my tongue, right in the little pocket where the tongue is connected.
Also agree with not moving whatsoever. I usually just snooze the alarm (it's the one for DH to get up for work) and pop it in, then record it.
It's normal for temps to vary as you warm up with movement and depending on what time you take it :hugs:
Good luck xx

Thanks for all the info girls! I will definitely go out and buy one tomorrow. I have seen them around and always wondered what they were, but never looked into it till I recently started getting serious about TTC. this has definitely been a learning experience, and still is. Have any of you been successful with getting pregnant? Did the BBT help you?

Bbt has helped me with getting my hopes up. I try not to test until af is due. I know if my temp dips the day before that af is gonna show her ugly face. Also helps confirm ovulation which is nice

this is my first full cycle bbt and charting. i found FF late last cycle when we started to seriously ttc and happened to start on my ovulation time :wacko:

so far its nerve wracking because im flailing at where my LH surges are and such lol. but thats because im impatient.

this is my first full cycle bbt and charting. i found FF late last cycle when we started to seriously ttc and happened to start on my ovulation time :wacko:

so far its nerve wracking because im flailing at where my LH surges are and such lol. but thats because im impatient.

Same here! I didn't get started till late cycle too. I I am waiting for the cover line to show up so I can figure out where I need to stay above. The FF is really messing with me. I had to ask earlier what the hollow dots meant, then someone was nice enough to tell me it's because I take my temp at different times, I take it within 30-40 before or after 7am. I hope that's not going mess anything up with predicting my ovulation. Who ever knew the TYC was so complicated.

How long do your periods last? Mine last 8-10 days (usually 10) and two apps have me starting to be fertile the last two days of my period. I definitely don't want to do the baby dance while I'm still on my period :nope:

Yes, get a proper BBT thermometer. I always placed it as far back under the tongue as possible. That's what you would do if you take your temp anyway as closer to the front will likely be cooler since it's closer to the air going in and out of your mouth. I wouldn't take it multiple times either as obviously opening and closing your mouth and lifting up the tongue and just contact with the thermometer might cause slight variations. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be enough for you to establish a pattern over the course of your cycle and from month to month, so don't overthink it.

And yes, I found charting BBT and also cervical mucus was really key to getting pregnant first time around. Cervical mucus is helpful for telling you when your fertile period is coming and the shifts in BBT month to month will give you an idea (assuming your cycles are fairly regular or regular enough to help you estimate) of when you ovulate. So basically, I charted one month, found I ovulated on CD 16 with fertile cervical mucus starting a few days before, then the next month, as soon as I saw the fertile cervical mucus show up again (probably around maybe CD 12), I assumed now was the time and we had sex about 3 times between then an CD 16. Charting my temps I could see that I ovulated again on CD 16, got a very obvious spike in the days after, and that was it, I got pregnant that month. But really, it doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be good enough for you to see a pattern from month to month to time when you have sex. It's the BDing that gets you pregnant, not perfect charting. If it helps you see a pattern and you time things right, it can be really effective.

How long do your periods last? Mine last 8-10 days (usually 10) and two apps have me starting to be fertile the last two days of my period. I definitely don't want to do the baby dance while I'm still on my period :nope:

My periods are 3-4 days, with an odd day at 5 sometimes.

If you just started to input your info, dont take the apps to heart yet. Takes at LEAST 3 cycles for it to properly anaylize your cycles. And no, you wouldnt be fertile on your period, lol. So that should tell you its wrong.

Pay attention to your cm. Read up on it and usually thats the best indicator that you are getting ready to O. I use 3 different apps, but more for the community - FF is the only one I use with my symptoms and such.

Same here! I didn't get started till late cycle too. I I am waiting for the cover line to show up so I can figure out where I need to stay above. The FF is really messing with me. I had to ask earlier what the hollow dots meant, then someone was nice enough to tell me it's because I take my temp at different times, I take it within 30-40 before or after 7am. I hope that's not going mess anything up with predicting my ovulation. Who ever knew the TYC was so complicated.

The hollow dots can also show if you enter a symptom which can also affect your bbt. For example, if you slept poorly, are sick, or drunk alcohol.

If you just started to input your info, dont take the apps to heart yet. Takes at LEAST 3 cycles for it to properly anaylize your cycles. And no, you wouldnt be fertile on your period, lol. So that should tell you its wrong.

Pay attention to your cm. Read up on it and usually thats the best indicator that you are getting ready to O. I use 3 different apps, but more for the community - FF is the only one I use with my symptoms and such.

So can my O come on say CD 16 or so? I know that you have to pay attention to your CM, I'm still trying to grasp that. Plus when they say to pay attention to your cervix I'm completely lost on that because I don't know it what I'm feeling is my cervix...confusing lol

I temp vaginally because I learned I sleep with my mouth open which impacts temps. I have figured out how to hold it in the same position so I get consistent temps. Once in a while I get a really odd high or low temp. Definitely get a BBT, they are like 10 bucks at the drug store. Good luck!

I have used a standard thermometer under my tongue in a similar placement and my temps seem pretty accurate. I have only been charting for two months though. Good luck

So can my O come on say CD 16 or so? I know that you have to pay attention to your CM, I'm still trying to grasp that. Plus when they say to pay attention to your cervix I'm completely lost on that because I don't know it what I'm feeling is my cervix...confusing lol

I only know what I feel now. First time I felt the "opening" open...ugh lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->