BC Canada

Neeno

Reaction score
hi Im in BC Canada right now and 13 weeks pregnanat
would love to share any info esp about child benefits Mat leave etc etc:rofl:

:hi: Welcome! I'm on the other side of Canada ;)

:hi: Welcome to BnB... you'll love it here!! where in BC are you from?

~waves~ Hello!

Hrm, I'm pretty sure there's the Child Tax Credit, and the one where you get to write off any money you spend on things like dance classes and sports activities... called Child Fitness Credit? I might be completely off though!!

Mat leave my understanding is if your work doesn't offer it for any reason (like me, I'm in a union but as a Casual employee -doesn't matter if I'm working full time, I don't OWN a set set of shifts- I don't get Mat or Parental leave) you can get Mat leave through EI. It takes the last 52 weeks worked and picks out the 14 weeks in there that you had the most income, and takes an average from that and that's what you'll get!

Hey ladies, I'm in Vancouver BC..anyone else from Vancouver or close to?

Hey.. Im in Vancouver.
Moved here nearly 2 years again from England and would looooove to get some info on child benefits, maternity leave etc as im totally clueless
:)

I'm from Vancouver Island, BC, Nice to meet you :)

As far as benefits you are entitled to before (and when) LO arrives are 15 weeks of maternity that can be taken starting up to 8 weeks before LO is due. Afterwards you are entitled to 35 weeks of parental benefits, this can be used all by you or split between you and the childs father if you choose to. There are a set # of hours that you need to have worked in the previous 52 weeks to be eligable for EI. Your pay for EI will be based on 55% of your average earnings over the 6 months previous to starting your claim. There is also a 2 week unpaid waiting period at the start of your claim.

Because you have been on EI, if you are not able to go back to a previous job (ex. failed industry or unreasonable hours) you could be eligable to have some costs of retraining covered by the government. I will know more soon, waiting to get an appointment, hoping to get them to cover some schooling for me **fingers crossed**

After LO arrives you can apply for Canadian Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) and Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) these are paid on the 20th of each month and there are calculators to help give you an idea of what you would recieve on the service canada website. Someone also mentioned the "child fitness credit" not sure if that is the correct name but it does exist and it's there to help offset costs associated wtih staying active. I don't know more yet but have been meaning to call, if I do I will post it.

Try to get involved in a Strong Start progam in your area if you can as you can also get grocery gift certificates for attending each week (not sure all do but seems to be most) $10 certs for a couple of hours of visitng with other new moms.

A lot of the grocery stores also have new baby programes try to sign up for them as even though the "gifts" aren't always the best some of the coupons are great. Fourmula companies are always great to sign up for too as most will send you a sample. Nestle does for sure and so does Emfamil and many others (more than you wanted to know I'm sure, but...)

I'm from Vancouver Island, BC, Nice to meet you :)

As far as benefits you are entitled to before (and when) LO arrives are 15 weeks of maternity that can be taken starting up to 8 weeks before LO is due. Afterwards you are entitled to 35 weeks of parental benefits, this can be used all by you or split between you and the childs father if you choose to. There are a set # of hours that you need to have worked in the previous 52 weeks to be eligable for EI. Your pay for EI will be based on 55% of your average earnings over the 6 months previous to starting your claim. There is also a 2 week unpaid waiting period at the start of your claim.

Because you have been on EI, if you are not able to go back to a previous job (ex. failed industry or unreasonable hours) you could be eligable to have some costs of retraining covered by the government. I will know more soon, waiting to get an appointment, hoping to get them to cover some schooling for me **fingers crossed**

After LO arrives you can apply for Canadian Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) and Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) these are paid on the 20th of each month and there are calculators to help give you an idea of what you would recieve on the service canada website. Someone also mentioned the "child fitness credit" not sure if that is the correct name but it does exist and it's there to help offset costs associated wtih staying active. I don't know more yet but have been meaning to call, if I do I will post it.

Try to get involved in a Strong Start progam in your area if you can as you can also get grocery gift certificates for attending each week (not sure all do but seems to be most) $10 certs for a couple of hours of visitng with other new moms.

A lot of the grocery stores also have new baby programes try to sign up for them as even though the "gifts" aren't always the best some of the coupons are great. Fourmula companies are always great to sign up for too as most will send you a sample. Nestle does for sure and so does Emfamil and many others (more than you wanted to know I'm sure, but...)

Wow thank you i was wondering about all this thank you very much hun :happydance:

Glad you enjoyed or at least found some of it uesful. I'm going to be finding out more about the fitness credit (if I can use it for swim group with my 6 month old) and the retraining programes and will post more if people are interested

Thanks Sweetie..
Thats loads of information!
I feel so totally clueless right now.. So that was a huge help
Thanks again x

Hi Everyone!!!
I am from Langley, BC!! Would love to get to know more expectant moms!!!
Im due August 6th, 2009... Not married but in a great relationship and have awesome support from both boyfriend and both sides of the family.
I am very excited about everything and would love to have chat buddies or if anyone who is from Langley area and would like to get together in a group that would be fun too!!!
Let me know! :)

Hello everyone, I’m also in BC…we moved here about 6 years ago immediately fell in love with the province.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->