Bedroom tax

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
Just wondered what peoples views are

I don't really see it right that if the government is paying for a house and rooms are not being used, when others are waiting for houses with larger families .

I have seen many posts on fb lately opposing this and I don't really understand what there is to oppose :shrug: ?

Thoughts ?
P

The only reason I can see of opposing is disabled people, which I agree with . Apartfrom that I think its fair.

The only reason I can see of opposing is disabled people, which I agree with . Apartfrom that I think its fair.

I agree with this.

I don't see why the government should be funding people to live in 4 bedroomed houses when there's only 1-4 people living there. Makes no sense to me.

The only thing is there isn't enough smaller properties to move into.

I can also see families having more children just to get a bigger house. There was a family interviewed who were pregnant with their 6th and were whining because they lived in a 4 bedroomed house and the council weren't moving them quickly enough!

I'm split on this,
I completely agree with it in the sense that there are families out there that need the extra space but instead are cramped up in a tiny house while someone else has 2 spares rooms they aren't using.
But on the other side,
Ill use my MIL as an example, she moved into her 2 bedroomed house with OH & his brother when they were young, around 25 years ago & obviously now they're both grown up and moved out and now she's having to either pay more or move into a flat after spending a lot of her life there.

I don't see how taxing will make much of a difference though I'm sure MIL has to pay something like £6 a fortnight for her extra room, I don't think too many people will bother moving & will just pay it.

Just another way for the government to take more money :shrug:

I'm not sure if it works a little different in scotland but once upon a time my gran was forced out her council home into a smaller one simpily because she was on her own. It was only fair really.

On that note does it affect pensioners? my gran lives in a 2 bed on her own so I worry shes gonna have a moan to me now!

I'm not sure if it works a little different in scotland but once upon a time my gran was forced out her council home into a smaller one simpily because she was on her own. It was only fair really.

On that note does it affect pensioners? my gran lives in a 2 bed on her own so I worry shes gonna have a moan to me now!

Nope, the only way it doesn't affect you is if your over pension age so don't worry too much about your ear being chewed off :haha:

My mums a pensioner, she says it won't affect her. She has a 3 bed house with a huge garden . I keep telling her she needs to move, I said its not fair she has all this space and there's families cramped into little flats .
Her argument is that she's been a loyal tenant for over 50 years, never missed a rent payment, never paid any reductions until she became a pensioner so why should she now pay more of be forced out of her home.
I did say its not actually her home!

I don't think its fair people having extra rooms that aren't being used, I'm not sure what the bedroom tax has to do with that though, its not solving the issue just putting yet another tax in place.

That's what my granny used to say, exactly that Tina!

I only know one person that's likely to have to move. Both her daughters have moved out and I know she has lodgers on the quiet. I think that's fair enough

I absolutely agree with it, except it exceptional circumstances regarding disability. The fact that until now one person has got away with living in a subsidised 4 bed council house long aftrr theor children have left home is absurd

Council housing should be for those in need and my opinion os that once you are no longer in need you should lose it.

Exactly, instead of an additional tax councils should just get on with sorting the problem out. They know who's got what, so they're the ones who can sort it

I thought the 'bedroom tax' wasn't people actually being taxed for extra bedrooms, but the housing benefit to help people towards their rent being cut to the amount that they do need for a property which is acceptable for them??
If this is the case then I totally agree with it.

Can someone explain to a clueless American what this all means? What's council housing? Does this tax only apply to people getting government assistance, or are home owners being told they can't be in a home larger than they need?

Can someone explain to a clueless American what this all means? What's council housing? Does this tax only apply to people getting government assistance, or are home owners being told they can't be in a home larger than they need?

Council housing, is basically renting a property from the government.
I'm pretty sure it only applies to people getting government assistance yeah, so if you own your own house or pay your full rent yourself it shouldn't affect you. x

I think it should be on a case by case basis so those few exceptions are exempt but overall yes, if the govt are paying your rent and you have surplus rooms, move to a smaller place. You wouldn't privately rent a 4 bed for £1500pcm when just you and your partner live there and could rent a 1 bed for £750 would you?

I thought the 'bedroom tax' wasn't people actually being taxed for extra bedrooms, but the housing benefit to help people towards their rent being cut to the amount that they do need for a property which is acceptable for them??

They're doing both, they've cut the housing benefit down so basically people have to house share or pay towards rent (this affects everyone who gets housing benefit I think & has already come into affect), then they're also making people who rent from council/housing associations pay a bedroom rate depending on how many spare bedrooms you have (this doesn't affect people who rent with private landlords and is only just coming into affect)

Don't get me wrong I 100% agree people are taking space when bigger families may need them but putting such a little charge like "£6" on it is hardly gonna change anything, I personally think this is more for the government to make money rather than help larger families get into suitable accommodation..

They're doing both, they've cut the housing benefit down so basically people have to house share or pay towards rent (this affects everyone who gets housing benefit I think & has already come into affect), then they're also making people who rent from council/housing associations pay a bedroom rate depending on how many spare bedrooms you have (this doesn't affect people who rent with private landlords and is only just coming into affect)

Don't get me wrong I 100% agree people are taking space when bigger families may need them but putting such a little charge like "£6" on it is hardly gonna change anything, I personally think this is more for the government to make money rather than help larger families get into suitable accommodation..

I haven't heard anything about anyone having to pay a bedroom rate, tbh that is what I assumed it was at first and didn't really agree with it but according to BBC news, it's just the housing benefit which is getting cut and not another extra charge :shrug:

I duno, heres the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113

I agree it's probably benefiting the government the most, but they have to make cut backs somewhere, and they also desperately need the housing...

It's all about living within means I guess. x

Google bedroom tax, it's a 'newish' one, people will probably only know about it if it affects them or people they know.

I agree, houses are needed but they need to get small families out of bigger houses & I doubt charging them more will change much, maybe a few people will move but the people I know who it'll affect are just planning on paying it :shrug: x

It has been happening with HB for ages though so I don't see why people are suddenly making such a fuss about it. I am only entitled to a two bed house and if I was to find a private 3 bed that accepted HB the council will take around £25 a week off of my HB for that extra room!

The only thing I don't like is people having to leave their homes because they are deemed to not need the space when they do for equipment etc

We have bedroom tax as you call it for years here, You get a certain amount per area for your needs and thats it. Its on private rent only not council. Families have to pay up to and over £200 a month for even 2 beds cheap flat when they have one of more kids so here its a rip off. There arnt enough council houses so you are forced to go private. So when I hear someone has £20 to pay more it makes me feel more here for families who give their whole money they get to support their families for rent even with the right amount of rooms. Its not really right at all that. 2 bed houses and ones are hard to find especially if you have family they can never come and stay with you if you are old. Or if you have disability and need space. for council it maybe a bit more acceptable as its a provided house for you. So they only provide what you need which is fair enough I suppose. Sadly they cant provide the two beds they only pay for for a family. But they penalise for private rent of a suitable size here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->