bedtime routines!

08marchbean

Reaction score
so, i ATTEMPTED to start a bedtime routine last night coz paige was not going to bed till 10 11 ish and was shattered the next day(shes rubbish at taking naps, and fights sleep all the way!) so i gave her a bath at 7 and a bottle in her darkened room and she fell asleep as soon as i put her down she woke up :dohh: and i spent the next 3 hours getting her back to sleep. even tho i could tell she was shattered. so does any one have a bedtime routine? i want my evenings back! and any tips on getting her to fall asleep herself?:thumbup:

have you tried the cry method?, its something like on the 1st night you stond over her, hold her hand until shes asleep, the next night just stand there, he next night stand further away from her.... you can probly see where this is going, until eventually you are sitting outside her room so she can just see you...
bubs goes bed at 8pm after his botte and bath and wakes up at 7, i was lucky with him as he just settled straight away, Maybe because when she does wake up you give her attention, so she knows when she wakes up she knows she wont be ignored, maybe leave her 10-20 minutes before you actuall go to her when she wakes?

i usually put maisie to bed around 7 or 8. when shes dozing off ill give her a bath (not always though) i then lie on the bed with her with the lights off which is good in summer cuz we can still see each other and have total silence giving her her bottle, sometimes she falls asleep on the bed and i just move her into her bed and sometimes shes still awake so put her in her bed and leave her and she normally goes to sleep herself. i then give her a bottle when i go to bed around 11 so a dream feed, and then she wakes around half4 for a bottle and shes usually awake at 7. ive tried not giving her a feed when i go to bed but then she wakes at half 1 and then again during the night. ive also tried just offering her water and she gulps that don and still wants feeding av also tried offering her a ummy and she just spits it out ive also tried ignoring her that does nothing so i dnt kno wat else to try x

have you tried the cry method?, its something like on the 1st night you stond over her, hold her hand until shes asleep, the next night just stand there, he next night stand further away from her.... you can probly see where this is going, until eventually you are sitting outside her room so she can just see you...
bubs goes bed at 8pm after his botte and bath and wakes up at 7, i was lucky with him as he just settled straight away, Maybe because when she does wake up you give her attention, so she knows when she wakes up she knows she wont be ignored, maybe leave her 10-20 minutes before you actuall go to her when she wakes?

yup tried kind of this last night. i didnt pick her up when she was crying, i just had my hand on her back nd she just fidgets on for hours she wont actually go to sleep. then by the time shed done that from like 7 till half nine she was wanting a bottle so i had to get her up and she fell asleep on me again. i just dont know how to teach her its ok to go to sleep by yourslef :shrug: so frustrating when you know shes so tired nd if i just picked her up shed be asleep in 10 mins, i hink shes the most stubborn baby! :dohh: she must get that from me.she knows what she want and is willing to figt it out till she gets it. what are the teenage years going to be like lol :wacko:

I feel your pain, I'm having this problem too :dohh: Lachlan has just been getting worse and worse with his bedtime...he used to go to sleep at 11pm but it got to 12pm then to 1am then 1.30am...it's just ridiculous. I'll feed him, he'll fall asleep on the boob so I'll pop him down and then as soon as I put him in his bed he's all of a sudden wide awake and fidgeting.

Then there's the problem that he likes to comfort suck, so the dummy is a godsend when mummy needs to sleep...and he spits that out ten million times doesn't he :lol: Eventually if I keep putting it in his mouth he will go to sleep, as he gets fussy when it falls out but that's what he wants, but it is frustrating having to do it so often. I just wish there was an easier way to do things...

I tried putting him down at 9.30 tonight and he wasn't having a bar of it..so got him back up at 10, fed him, put him back down at 10.30 and now it's midnight and despite being quiet (I thought he was asleep..) he's still awake and fidgeting round :| OH went in to the bedroom and informed me.. Losing. My. Mind.

xx

Quintin has to have a bath every night or he doesn't STTN
his bed time has been all over the place lately because he stopped STTN last week, so whenever he went to sleep I just go too,
but before it was bath at 9:30,bottle,bed
normally he'd be sleeping by 10:30.
till 6 or 7 in the morning
I'm hoping to get that going again.

i let alice sort her own routine out.
she used to go to bed at 10/11 at first slept through at 8 weeks going from 11 untill 6ish. then as she got a litle older i noticed she was getting really tired at around 8 and would fall asleep in her swing in a deep sleep and i would end up having to wake her to put her upstairs so i changed her routine to get upstairs to bed for 8. over a week she was jus getting more tired and grumpy earlier so i put her to bed earlier.
now she has a bath anytime between half 5 and half 6 and then straight up to have her bottle in the room with all the lights off sometimes she falls asleep having her bottle and other times shes wide awake when i put her down but she settles herself to sleep with a dummy.
i used to feed her at half 10 when she was asleep and she wouldnt even wake up but then she started refusing the bottle so i stopped and now she goes from 6 or 7 untill 6.30. i then give her a bottle still in her room and then she comes back to bed with me untill half 9 :D

rome is quin still not sttn :( i dont give alice a bottle when she wakes in the night anymore i just try to settle her with a dummy. she still wakes a few times though. xxx

Well I don't know how, but Theo has just all of a sudden started to settle himself to sleep and has given himself his own bedtime routine :wacko: lol!
I haven't really ever given him a solid routine, hes kinda led me and let me know whats best for him....all trial and error really.

I give him his tea at 5, he has a little 30-45 min snooze, wakes up and has a yoghurt/rusk/fruitpot...plays with me or daddy for a while, he normally starts rubbing his eyes at around 7:15 so we then bath him & DD together, then he has his bottle while I read DD her story, then I just pop him down in his cot & put his mobile on and he will fall asleep within 10 mins, I sometimes have to go back into him and put his dummy in, but not always.

I think it does take them a while to realise they can self soothe and don't need to sleep on you, some tips that could help though are...

Swaddling? Wrap bubs up in a special swaddling blanket or just a normal thin cotton blanket, makes them feel safe and secure and stops them from throwing their arms about and waking them selves up!

Put a hot water bottle in crib/Moses basket/cot, half an hour before you put them down to sleep, makes it nice and warm and cosy, could be that the sudden warmth of your body to the cold cot is unsettling them? (make sure you take it out before you put the baby in the cot tho :blush:)

I swear by our baby mobile above his cot too, we have a fisherprice one that plays a light show on the ceiling and plays soothing music, Theo loves it...he watches it go round, as soon as it goes off he just closes his eyes and thats him...sleep!

Put a hot water bottle in crib/Moses basket/cot, half an hour before you put them down to sleep, makes it nice and warm and cosy, could be that the sudden warmth of your body to the cold cot is unsettling them? (make sure you take it out before you put the baby in the cot tho :blush:)

ooh i might try that.:thumbup: i was actually thinking about that today as its quite cold and her room wasnt too warm when i put her down for a nap. wil warmup her bed tonight.

Hi Girls,

Kaylas made her own routine really since birth. She has little cat naps through out the day when ever she wants really dont have a time for them some days shes more tired then others.

Nights are all the same, She is normal having 4oz she has 4oz though out the day but at around 6/7ish shes has a 5oz bottle then half an hour later she has a 4oz bottle but only drinks about 70mls of the bottle.

Then shes a sleep between 8-8.30 and sleeps through the night till 6.30am so shes quite a good little sleeper :).

Niamh has just started with a routine, like you I was just beginning to get fed up with not having my own time!

5.30pm - 'dinner' (well she sits and gums at veg!)
7.30pm - Bath time
7.45pm - 'Quiet time'
8.00pm - bottle (as she's usually BF so a bottle signifies bed time)

She wakes every few hours during the night. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to settle her again, sometimes half an hour!

At the moment she doesn't really have a bedtime as such but I feed LO about 10:30, 11:00pm then she'll just go down no problem.

i wouldnt worry too much about it hun, they normally fall into their own routines :hugs: i usually give noah a bath & bottle somewhere between 7-9pm and he'll sleep til 3 or 4am then has a bottle and goes back down til 6 or 7 xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->