Bedwetting

aymz1983

Reaction score
My daughter is 6.5 and still consistently wets the bed - sometimes 3 or 4 times a night.
It doesnt matter if she drinks an hour before bed, or 5 minutes before bed. It doesnt even seem to matter what she eats or drinks (she doesnt really eat junk, she rarely has fizzy drinks, and she drinks well enough at home) She always goes to the toilet before she goes to sleep (about 8pm), and i take her to the toilet when i go up to bed (about 10.30/11) She's usually dry at that time, but its not uncommon for her to have wet by that point.

I think she's still asleep when i get her up, although she will walk sleepily to the toilet, and go and can understand what im saying when i tell her to wipe etc. She is a VERY deep sleeper, and has had episodes of sleepwalking/waking which ive read is linked, although im not sure how :/ and its because of her deep sleeping that i doubt a bedwetting alarm will work.

GP wont do anything until she turns 7, but i have no doubt that the situation will still be the same at 7. It breaks my heart to think that, although ive taken her, she will wet herself, and she'll lie in it until morning :( But she just doesnt know she's gone. She maybe has one dry night every 7-10 days or so.

We did have a period of 2 weeks where she stayed dry. I thought we'd finally done it! It was when her brother was still waking in the night, and she had a stuffy nose, so she wasnt sleeping as well as usual because she couldnt, so would soon wake when i got up in the night to tend to the baby, i would make sure she needed to go, or she would go herself. Obviously, thats just gone :/

I am not keen on buying the dry nites pyjama pants, and although she has worn them, she isnt overly keen on them either because to her, they are too much like nappies.

If anyone can give me any advice, or suggestions that i havent thought of that would be GREAT lol.

thanks x

Hiya,

my son is also 6.5, hes been having a big problem with bed wetting as well, i took him tom the doctors about a yr ago and he gave me this spray which he said may help, but it didnt, about 2 months ago i contacted his school nurse who came round to see him and talk to him.

They are now arranging to do some test so see if he makes enough of the chemical that makes u 'hold' it when they are asleep, my son is also a very heavy sleeper, he once peed down the stairs thinking he was over the loo!!

I have tried EVERYTHING! i even brought a wee alarm of ebay, which worked for a while and it was great.

i can only really suggest speaking to the school nurse and asking for them to become involved, as i did and now i finally seem to be getting somewhere, maybe your daughter isnt making enough of this chemical that allows them to hold it.

if you dont have a school nurse maybe try ringing your local health visitor, worth a try right??

I hope this helps x

sorry, havent been on computer much, thanks for this info, will definately try asking the school nurse then, wouldnt have even thought of her! i did think of an alarm but she doesnt wake for anything, not even her screaming baby brother lol.

Thaks for the reply x

Leah was 7 and a half before she stopped weeing in her sleep, i never worried about it though, she just wore pull ups at night until she was dry for a week and then stopped wearing them and has never weed in her sleep since

taking her to the toilet when you go to bed will have the opposite effect of what you are trying to acheive, she isnt fully awake so is weeing in her sleep, all you are doing is catching it in the loo instead of her doing it in her bed, she needs to learn the cues to wake up herself when she needs a wee

As a parent, I can relate to you and I'm hoping you receive lots of feedback. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of my own thoughts with you. Your concern for your child shows that you are a great mom! When a child wets the bed, nobody’s happy – I got tired of constant trips to the washer and dryer, and my kids didn’t enjoy waking up in damp sheets. You may be interested to know that I've found some practical advice on parenting on the Focus on the Family’s website, an organization that I am with, and always excited to share about it with my family and friends. They have a Q&A about “wet bedding”. Just go their website and type those words in the search box and the answer should pop up. Hope this helps. Best to you!

If its any consolation, my brother is now 7 1/2 and up until the age of 7 our mum said he'd just 'grow out of it' and we all disbelieved her. At 7 he was referred by the school nurse and after some general tests the hospital sent us a bed-wetting alarm, which we never had to use, because since a month ago he's been pretty much dry 99% of the time.
Our mum was lifting him on to the toilet until he was about 5 years, then taking him to the toilet at 7pm ish, then again at 10/11 when she went to bed.
So he did grow out of it on his own eventually :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->