Been referred to paediatrician

lauren-kate

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried. My family nurse/health visitor came today and did all of Ryan's measurements. His development is all fine. He's tall and skinny like his dad. BUT his head measurements came in on the 98th centile on the chart so we've been referred to a paediatrician. It's always been high on the chart but seems to be going up further each time. She said it's probably nothing to worry about, and it's normally just something that's inherited, but I'm getting really worried. So far, I've stopped myself from looking anything up on google as I don't want to scare myself. :( x

Stay off google!! I'm sure it'll turn out to be nothing - kids vary so much in terms of height, weight, head size etc, and yet health visitors seem to worry us every time they're off their average charts for things. Very few babies follow those lines perfectly, and there will always be some that are at the very top/bottom end of the scale yet are perfectly healthy, especially early on - these things tend to even themselves out over time. I think health visitors have to refer you if your baby is outside their expected range, whether they are concerned about it or not.

If he seems happy and healthy I'd try not to think too much about it (not easy, I know) until you've seen the paediatrician. Any idea how long you'll have to wait for a referral? :hugs: x

I'm not sure. They're going to send a letter through in the next few days. He seems fine, and he's always been happy, but still worrying. x

I guess it must be hard not to :hugs: I've just heard so many stories about people being worried by health visitors when there was nothing wrong at all - their babies just weren't 'average'. Not having a go at HVs - I know it's their job to check out everything that's not quite in their normal range, and it's good that they do check everything so thoroughly but they do often make us worry when there's no need to!

Hope you don't have to wait too long x

:hugs: im sure its just a precaution...
I hope they dont keep you waiting too long xx

What a worry- had my head measured and checked out at hospital for the first year and a half of my life. I had a huge head like ET, but I grew into it finally. Please dont worry (easier said than done) but your little man is perfect, as said previously just a precaution no doubt!

x

Yeah it has to be checked because it's in the shaded part of the chart and it keeps going up, with his height and weight not being *that* high. He was in 6-9 month old hats from birth. I've always said his head was big to accommodate his large brain because he's so clever.. hope that's all that it is. x

I hope it turns out to be nothing at all to worry about, better to be safe than sorry x

Just wanted to add, when my step mother had my little brother she told her she better take him to a doctor as he had long legs...the doctor pratically laughed when she told him why she was there :dohh: the health visitor had made it out to be this big huge problem lol xx

Oh hun I hope its nothing to worry about and that the paediatrician outs your mind at ease. I sometimes think these HV's try to make something out of nothing.

Hopefullythe appointment wont be too far away.

Xx

Try not to worry too much hun :hugs:

I'm sure it's just a precaution... like everyone's said, sometimes things are blown out of proportion, but at least you can feel safe in the knowledge that they are just looking out for Ryan :)

Hope everything is alright with your little guy! :hug:

Yeah it has to be checked because it's in the shaded part of the chart and it keeps going up, with his height and weight not being *that* high. He was in 6-9 month old hats from birth. I've always said his head was big to accommodate his large brain because he's so clever.. hope that's all that it is. x

I had this with my son. He was 8lb 12 oz at birth and his head measurement went off the top of the scales. Eventually he was refered to hospital and they monitoured it and his body slowly cought up. He is 17 years old now and his head is larger than average. He says its to hold all his brains.

:hugs:

My little nephew was referred a while back and it was nothing in the finish but they really worried us all :( I think at this stage you would 'know' if something was wrong. If hes bright and alert I wouldnt worry at all, but I understand your worry and I would worry too :hugs: but I am sure everything will work out fine..xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->