Been told we're overfeeding our baby

new_mummy

Reaction score
Our LO was premature, born at 32 weeks and is now 5 weeks old (actual age) and currently weighs just under 6lbs. She was drinking 4oz every 4 hours round the clock, so a total of 24oz in 24 hours. I certainly wasn't forcing it down her - she is just a hungry little thing.

Both the HV and the doctor have told us that she only needs about 15oz in 24 hours and to cut down her feeds - but that seems like such a huge amount to cut down by! I've been trying to give her less but she seems unsatisfied and is waking more frequently for feeds instead. She won't take a dummy either.

Not really sure what to do - has anyone else been told that their baby is having too much?

I generally give the advice of feed on demand, but I don't have any experience or knowledge of premature babies so there may be a reason why they are saying to limit her feeds. My gut instinct says to just carry on as you have been with the 4oz every 4 hours, but maybe asking on the premature babies section you will get more reliable answers.

Good luck x

I've not FF a baby but what you were doing sounds ideal to me, bub is happy & content!

Thanks, I just don't know what to do for the best. At the moment I'm trying to follow doctor's orders while keeping bubba happy with an extra ounce here or there if she is really unsettled and crying for more. She doesn't have any specific issues and is only on the 9th centile for her corrected age (she's off the bottom of the charts for her actual age!) so I don't think it's a huge concern really. :wacko:

I've always been told to feed in demand, but again have no experience with a premature baby. Have they told you the reason why?

If she is taking the bottle well and not being sick after then I would say she is eating what she needs.

My HV has always said to feed on demand and as long as she's gaining weight and not having pains then you're doing the right thing.

ask them what they would say to a breastfeeding mother ?? how would they know how much they are feeding ? no different in my opinion, I think that that amount sounds fine, if your baby is happy then your doing good x

I had a 34 weeker and was never told I was over feeding.
Feed on demand. They are going by her weight. 2.5oz per lb but that's just a guideline as far as I'm aware.
My lo was a hungry baby too. Don't worry your doing fine. Xx

I'd ignore that advice and feed her if she's hungry. You know best and she's still so little. Gosh, my daughter was born on the earlier side (37 weeks, so not premature but early and small enough that everyone was on my case about her gaining weight) and they couldn't have stressed me out more about getting her to eat more than she was - and she was bigger than your LO! Trust your instinct and feed her when she wants it. She's tiny and babies that are on the earlier/smaller side have more work to do catching up with themselves, so you would expect her to have more of an appetite at certain periods. She's likely going through a growth spurt and/or just trying to put on some extra weight. Just do what feels right to you.

I have experienced first hand that you can overfeed a baby and it's easier to do that with a bottle but your case doesn't sound like overfeeding. Both of my kids skewed to the higher end of how much they should eat and my oldest never learned self-control and would eat until he projectile vomited everywhere but he did show clues of being full--such as a glazed eye or getting a bit drowsy. His "full" signals were just more subtle than most. If I took the bottle away and he stopped fussing within a few minutes I knew it was OK.

Your baby sounds like she is really still hungry so I would definitely ask your doctor and HV if her being premature has anything to do with it as I've been told to feed on demand with formula just the same as breastfeeding. My DD actually clusterfeeds with FF which I've always heard they don't do.

Kids don't read the textbooks so I hope your doctor has some flexibility in that regard!

If she is taking the bottle well and not being sick after then I would say she is eating what she needs.

My HV has always said to feed on demand and as long as she's gaining weight and not having pains then you're doing the right thing.

This!! Feed on demand. You're doing great just how you are! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->