Before Bringing New Baby Home

Lotty

Mummy Of A Little Boy
Reaction score
Have any of you ladies who have had a baby in special care for being prem had to stay over night for 2 days before bringing baby home just so you can get used to night feeds and everything goes ok without the nurses (unless needed) ?
I will be hopefully bringing home my baby this saturday but have been told i need to stay in the mother and baby room with my baby for 2 days and 2 nights..what will i need ? and what will i do ? as my baby sleeps during most of the day like a baby does what do i do in the meantime ?

Thankyou :) xx

I think this is fairly common practice. I stayed in for 2 nights before I brought LO home. I took in a couple of books and one night OH stayed with me and we watched a film on his laptop.

In our hospital the neonatal nurses were still happy to look after LO if we needed to pop out so when we wanted to go out and get our dinner, we just took him back into the nursery section and they watched him until we got back and took him back to our room.

As for what to take, just take what you would normally need to stay overnight somewhere. Also, if you are not planning on coming home at all before bringing your LO home, then you will also need their coming home outfit and car seat etc.

Finally, massive congratulations on getting LO home. xx

Just as you would at home but without having to clean and wash things.lol. They should have a t.v there and internet maybe. I only had to stay 1 night but i have had 4 preemies so i knew what to do. Use this time to bond with your baby and learn what babies needs are and learn how it will effect you while you are under supervision. Once baby is home you still can ask questions if you have them but easier while there to get all your questions out. You can use that time to make a feeding and potty chart. Write down question you may have, make phone calls for the next appt out of hospital. And most importnantly bond with baby.

I had to stay over one night, but I had to do it twice.

First time, we were trying to establish breastfeeding. I spent the entire evening trying to get Andrew to feed, unsuccessfully. I eventually wheeled the cot back to the ward so that they could give him some EBM down the NGT, so that he'd be fed.

The second time, it was purely a case of proving that I could care for him for 24hours. By this time he was being bottle-fed EBM, and everything went fine. I spent daytime on the ward so that I could see and chat to other mums & staff; the evening I just read books.

Thankyou for your replies :)

Im a little different in that i did noy leave hospital until she came home but once she was in the transitional care with me for the first day she was still under the uv lights so i sat and watched tv, went on the net, read and chatted to OH in-between feeding ect but once she was off the light i did the same just with her laid on my chest.

Use the time for lots of uninterrupted hugs cos once your home you have to fit hugs in-between the housework.

Hey,

We had to stay in 2 nights as well with harry, wasnt sure to start but but i am soooo glad we did x

I had to stay 1 day and night with Leo, they liked 1st time Mums to stay for 2. I did my usual routine in the day with him, then took him to the bedroom in the evening :) the time flew!

I had to stay 1 day and night with Leo, they liked 1st time Mums to stay for 2. I did my usual routine in the day with him, then took him to the bedroom in the evening :) the time flew!

I may sound daft but what was your usual routine whilest in a hospital ? thats what im worrying about as i dont want to be staring at a wall for 48 hours alone lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->