Before your preemie...

I met my husband just as I got my place at uni but we managed to stay together whilst I did my degree and got married in September 2000 a few months after I graduated. I never wanted children and although we couldn't afford to do everything we'd really like to do we could still go on weekends away to Wales, Scotland, etc climbing, cheap holidays abroad when we liked or spend days in London. All that changed when I shocked myself by changing my mind about having children in January 2010.

We had to wait a few months before TTC because I'd had an abnormal smear and a biopsy to find out if there was anything wrong. The results came back OK so we started to TTC properly about May/June time. Only two months later and a few days after I had been made redundant from my job with an interior design company we found out I was pregnant. The pregnancy went really well and could even manage to have a social life! We joked about me possibly having twins because of my size early on so when we found out we were expecting identical twin boys at a scan at 13 weeks we weren't completely shocked.

The pregnancy continued to go well until my 20 week scan when we found out the boys had severe twin to twin transfusion syndrome and one baby was 3 weeks behind the other so I had to have emergency laser treatment that same day. After that we weren't sure whether they would survive so I ended up staying at home and only going out for scans. Thankfully I hadn't found a new job so didn't have to get time off for all my appointments.

Things started looking good. Both baby's were growing well and we had a scan on New Year's Eve when the consultant said we should be able to go to 34 weeks. However, the following Monday I had a show and went to hospital. I went into spontaneous labour for no apparent reason and gave birth to the boys after only a couple of hours of established labour at 27+4 weeks.

Unfortunately, we lost the smaller twin because he got NEC at 18 days old but after nearly 13 1/2 weeks we were finally able to bring our surviving twin home (that was two weeks ago). He is still on oxygen but that hasn't stopped us from going for walks nearly every day, visiting friends and family or making a trip to Ikea and Asda! It will probably stop us having our usual holidays and weekends away but we're looking forward to eventually being able to show him lots of places.

Even with everything going on I have had to carry on working to a certain extent because I have my own photography business and wasn't planning on taking time out so early. I have made sure that I don't have so many bookings this year and I plan to change the focus to mainly portraits rather than weddings, which it is now, because they only take up a few hours at a time rather than all day. At the moment, whilst he is on oxygen, I'm not sure I could leave him with anyone either so I'm planning to work around my husbands shifts so one of us can be with him but that will probably change when he gets older.

DH and I met in college, dated for 2 years, and then got married. Started trying to get pregnant after being married 3 years. Took us a while, and several rounds of fertility treatments, but we finally got pregnant!

Had a "normal" pregnancy until around 30 weeks, then at 33 weeks was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome, IUGR, and pre-Eclampsia. Had emergency C-section 24 hours after bloodwork revealed elevated liver enzymes.

Before we realized we would have a preemie, I was undecided about going back to work. Now that we have had him early, I do not think I can handle putting him in daycare, so I have decided to quit my job. I am a CPA (accountant in US) and I have actually found someone who wants to hire me to do some contract type work that I will be able to do from home, so that will be something for me to have on my resume in case I ever do need to go back full-time.

Luckily DH and I have lots of family and friends nearby, so we have already gotten tons of offers to babysit. I'm still not ready to leave him for very long though, but I think we are getting out next weekend to go see a movie and my mom is going to watch the baby. I am making an effort to still find time to do things just me and DH, I don't want to neglect my marriage. It's going to be a challenge to find balance.

I am currently out on maternity leave, and am dreading telling my employer that I am not going to come back to work..... I need to go ahead and get it over with, but I keep putting it off......

So, before your preemie came along, what was life like before? What was your job, what did you do? How has it changed? Did you go back to work? Do you get out much?

Before Samantha came along my husband and I lived in Ottawa. I was working as a Cashier at a grocery store and starting out as a freelance makeupartist. Then we got our new puppy boy at the end of July and my husband asked me to stop work and stay home and take care of the puppy and makes ure he got the proper training and attentiuon he needed. About a month after having the puppy I found out I was pregnant with Samantha. I say it was meant to happen to get lewis and stop work because of my short cervix I was at high risk for preterm labor and staying home with lewis kept me off my feet just like I was supposed to do. He kept a very watchful eye on me and stuck to me like glue my entire pregnancy following me all over the house, and was even checking the toilet every single day the entire week before my waters broke on the toilet! He knew something was up. Without getting him I would have been running around like a nut working really hard and in my eyes probably would have had a miscarriage before I found out I was pregnant.

Since having Samantha in January I am still a stay at home wifey and travel back and forth an hour as much as possible to see Samantha. I am super paranoid at all times something will happen even though Samantha is at 39 weeks. My phone is by my head every single night. My due date is monday the 25th of april and I have now accepted the fact she won't be home for awhile yet. I see life in a different way and have become a stronger person and am so very grateful to have my little cupcake princess.

I don't get out to much. My husband works most days so i occupy my time by doing maekup tutorials on youtube now and have started a facebook fanpage to show my work. I do want to get back i nthe freelance work someday when Samantha is a bit older. Right now it's not possible as the hospital said she will be at the dr's frequently until she is 3years old. but that's ok because I now have Youtube to keep up with my love for makeup :D

I'm soexcited for the day she comes home so i can take care of her day and night and be a stay at home mom and wifey makes me happy :D :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->