Being Induced @ 39 weeks. Advice from ladies who've been induced...?

Surprised26

Reaction score
So I went in for my non stress test yesterday (GD) and the 20 minute test turned into 2 hours when my blood pressure was consistently high. I go in for another one on Friday, and then another OB appointment Monday. After the test yesterday, I went straight to my OB appointment (which I was a good hour late to since the test ran much longer than expected) and the OB I saw mentioned that they wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks, maybe would induce earlier if my BP goes any higher. I find out for sure on Monday. If induction isn't successful, she'll be arriving by C-section.

I just had a few questions for the ladies who've been induced before, as I'm wondering about a few things.

1) Do you still have the "clear out" or should I plan to take some Milk of Mag before going in? (Or should this not even be something I worry myself about?)

2) Will they still let you do some of your laboring in water if desired? I didn't know if whatever they insert is shallow enough to be affected by this... (Not sure if I even want to, but that fancy jacuzzi tub looks inviting... haha.)

3) Is there anything I should know/ bring/ be prepared for?

I'm actually pretty terrified, although its helping my anxiety to know that I might not have to be on the look out for labor and trying to figure out when/how to get myself to the hospital (unless she makes her entrance early on her own accord). My MIL, who we're currently living with keeps trying to guilt trip me into going to the county hospital (that I don't trust ESPECIALLY if I do need a Csection), so if I labor when my oh isn't home, I'd have to wait for my mom to drive the 40 miles to me, then the 60 mile drive to the hospital, or try to drive myself between contractions...which doesn't seem very safe/possible.

So I went in for my non stress test yesterday (GD) and the 20 minute test turned into 2 hours when my blood pressure was consistently high. I go in for another one on Friday, and then another OB appointment Monday. After the test yesterday, I went straight to my OB appointment (which I was a good hour late to since the test ran much longer than expected) and the OB I saw mentioned that they wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks, maybe would induce earlier if my BP goes any higher. I find out for sure on Monday. If induction isn't successful, she'll be arriving by C-section.

I just had a few questions for the ladies who've been induced before, as I'm wondering about a few things.

1) Do you still have the "clear out" or should I plan to take some Milk of Mag before going in? (Or should this not even be something I worry myself about?)

2) Will they still let you do some of your laboring in water if desired? I didn't know if whatever they insert is shallow enough to be affected by this... (Not sure if I even want to, but that fancy jacuzzi tub looks inviting... haha.)

I was induced at 37.5 weeks due to GD as baby was measuring big and overall was a really positive experience.

1) No don't worry about the clear out. I was sick once during transition but that's it.

2) It's not likely you'll be able to labour in water just because most labour wards don't have birthing pools, that's usually in the birthing centre.

3) Take snacks, you could be there a while and hospital food sucks!! Take cash and a card incase you have to stay over and want the TV on or to buy anything from the shop. Books, magazines and your phone charger just in case!

My birth story is here - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...tion-slow-start-fast-finish.html#post32660075

Oh and wear layers they keep the wards super hot so you don't want fleecy jammies on.

I was induced at 41+2.

1) I did not have a clear out. I really wouldn't worry about it, tbh. If you're going to poop you're going to poop, there isn't much you can do about it. Definitely do not take something to make yourself go, that's a stress your body doesn't need.

2) I was not allowed to go in the birthing pool. You tend to have electrodes strapped to your tummy to monitor the baby constantly, so you can't get in the water. I was pretty upset when I found this out! I haven't heard of any unmonitored inductions, but maybe that's a thing somewhere? You should ask.

3) Be open to pain relief. I've only had one baby through induction, but the induced contractions I had were horrible compared to the natural ones I'd had at home. Not trying to freak you out, just saying there's no shame in doing what you need to get through it. I never felt like eating, so snacks wouldn't be on the list for me, but your OH might need some as labour can take a while.

Re being monitored, I had a belly band for half an hour before and after the pessary being inserted and again when my waters were broken. Other than that there were no leads, wires or IVs so I laboured wandering around and stood leaning on the bed.

I was not allowed that option! I guess the hospital I was in made it a requirement that baby was monitored. Good to know it's out there though.

Thanks ladies. My L&D has these really fancy jet tubs in every room, so if they let me at any point, I will take advantage lol.

The only reason I ask about snacks and such is because of the GD, I'm pretty sure a sugar crash in the middle of labor wouldn't turn out well.

Also, I'm all for pain meds. I figure they wouldn't offer anything that wasn't thoroughly evaluated, I respect those who choose to avoid it. However, I'm very much a wuss with pain and compared with my anxiety/panic attacks (which I refused to be medicated for through my entire pregnancy)I'll take any help I can get :)

Be prepared for a long labor. I ended up with a c section. Got induced Thursday at 7pm didn't have her until Sunday at 1:41am

I was induced at 38+3 as i am type 2 diabetic and my bp was starting to get higher than they would have liked.

1) as the pp's have said, i wouldn't worry about this.

2) i didn't ask about going in the water as it wasn't something i wanted to do, but from things i had read online beforehand i don't think i would have been allowed. I was monitered but not all the time and i was able to walk about the room.

3) i would bring snacks and drinks, you may not want them, i didn't have much, i think i was too excited then once the contractions started i was in too much pain to eat but i was starving through the night after he was born so raided my snacks then! Also take books or kindle etc, i didn't need them but you could be there a long time.

I went into the hospital at 8am, had the gel inserted at 10am, examined at 4pm and had my waters broken and lo was here at 6.25pm!

On just to add I had to stay overnight because they wanted to take 3 blood sugar levels from baby to make sure her sugar levels were stable before we could go. All levels were perfect but it was standard policy for the hospital I was at.

I was induced with an oxytocin drip at 41 weeks. They monitored the baby heavily so no natural pain relieving options for me. Also, induced contractions are more painful than natural ones (if I compare my two labours) so go for the drugs! In not sure how much of the extra pain was related to this one being a back labour though. Also, things went super fast and baby was out in 5 hours, 15 mins pushing. last time I was in labour about twenty hours (15 in the hospital) with pushing taking 90 minutes. Induction was both a blessing and a curse in my experience! No clear out, I pooped on the table, but I didn't realise and no one made a song as dance about it. I only realised it had happened when I noticed the nurse discreetly throwing it out and at that point, I did not care one iota!

I'm actually pretty terrified, although its helping my anxiety to know that I might not have to be on the look out for labor and trying to figure out when/how to get myself to the hospital (unless she makes her entrance early on her own accord). My MIL, who we're currently living with keeps trying to guilt trip me into going to the county hospital (that I don't trust ESPECIALLY if I do need a Csection), so if I labor when my oh isn't home, I'd have to wait for my mom to drive the 40 miles to me, then the 60 mile drive to the hospital, or try to drive myself between contractions...which doesn't seem very safe/possible.

I've been induced 5 times, and with the exception of my latest ( she's 10 days old) they were all fairly similar.

1) with my first, the dr was older, and he ordered an enema, but drs really don't do this anymore. I never had a "clear out" during labor, but did vomit during transition several times.

2) I'm sure every hospital is different, bu generally during an induction you have to be monitored constantly, so no water. :(

3) you will most likely be on IV fluids, and having gd, they will monitor your bs regularly. They can add something to your IV if needed.

I was induced with pitocin the first 4 times, my cervix was already soft and dilated.labor generally lasted about 6-10 hrs, only 1 epidural ( with my 4th).
My most recent, my mw induced me with cervadil because I was not dilated or soft at all. She placed it on my cervix at 10 pm, I started having contractions around 1 am, they didn't get really painful until 5 am, she checked me, I was 2 cm and 75%effaced. I delivered right at 6am. Honestly, the induction this time was far more painful than with pitocin, but went so much quicker. There was no time for an epidural, but if I would have had to endure that for hrs, I would have gotten it. It was way more intense, probably because it went so fast.

Thank you for the responses. As of 36 weeks I was already dilated to a 1, I'll be checked again on Monday along with assessed as to whether I'll need induced before 39 weeks (which is still super soon anyway). I might ditch the idea of packing snacks and just have a bit of vending machine change "just in case"

Any advice on when is best to request an epidural? My fear is it wearing off and me being SOL(or me waiting too long and also being SOL)

The medicine is usually constant, so shouldn't wear off. Can I ask where ur located? I live in Indiana, and all our hospitals around here have snacks and things like that as part of what is offered to new moms. 24 hr room service too. Obviously, can't really eat a lot when in labor. Maybe we're just spoiled, idk. Lol

Have u done a tour or talked to the hospital? Any classes? Usually they cover a lot of what to expect during those. U can call and ask questions too.

I'm from the US, was induced twice....
my hospital doesn't offer water births and I'm in a huge main hospital :/ so no jacuzzi or tub for me....
They never gave me an enema or laxative of any sort, definitely do that a couple days before, I wouldn't recommend the day before because sometimes it takesonger than expected to kick in and that's terrible.... U won't want to have to get up several times to use the bathroom while hooked to a ton of monitors and Ivs for hrs on end....
I wasn't allowed anything besides ice chips from the min they started the induction until after the baby was born, my 1st was 25 hrs long!!! My second was only 4hrs long..... U never know, so make sure to eat a nice big meal before going in because it could be a long time before u get to eat again .....
Good luck!!!
Keep us posted:)

Also, I would call whoever I knew was coming to visit to bring me food lol.... Also, Our hospital offered room service , gave us a menu and phone to order anything anytime once baby was born

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->