being tested for GD tomorrow, what happens if positive?

Little G

Reaction score
Hey ladies as above im being tested due to baby measuring above the 95th percentile at last appointment. What happens if I test positive?

xx

They will arrange for you to see the diabetic nurse who will go through everything you need to know about GD and diet and if you need insulin then they will go through that with you. You will have regular growth scans and blood tests to check on how bug baby is getting and how well controlled your sugars are.

Your baby will also be delivered early, they only let you go until 38 weeks max, so if your sugars are well controlled and baby isn't looking too big and the placenta is functioning the way it should you will probably be induced at 38 weeks. They sometimes do it earlier if you're not well controlled or baby is too big/not happy in there, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

It is unusual to develop it after 28 weeks though so you could just have a big baby, good luck :)

They will arrange for you to see the diabetic nurse who will go through everything you need to know about GD and diet and if you need insulin then they will go through that with you. You will have regular growth scans and blood tests to check on how bug baby is getting and how well controlled your sugars are.

Your baby will also be delivered early, they only let you go until 38 weeks max, so if your sugars are well controlled and baby isn't looking too big and the placenta is functioning the way it should you will probably be induced at 38 weeks. They sometimes do it earlier if you're not well controlled or baby is too big/not happy in there, but I wouldn't worry about that for now.

It is unusual to develop it after 28 weeks though so you could just have a big baby, good luck :)

Thanks for the info, feeling nervous about getting tested, really hoping dont have it and baby is just big, fingers crossed. :wacko:

x

Don't worry! It really isn't the end of the world unless you were hoping for home birth or something that you won't be able to have now with GD.

They will give you a meter to prick your finger 4+ times a day and go for a few days to see when your levels are high so they know when and how much to medicate. If you are super lucky, you will be able to diet control by cutting out most carbs (not all, that causes major problems too!), but things with lots of sugars like white breads, rice, chocolate and high fructose corn syrup. Oh and bananas at least.

If you do have it, search Us vs Carbs and pop over to that thread. We have tons of things throughout and are always willing to add another person and help them out.

The induction also depends on how things are looking. Some places let you go 39 or even 40 if everything is going really really well still.

I have GD this time around and so far I just follow the recommendations for diet/carb counting (I was sent to a nutritionist) and my blood sugar has been fine. No refined sugar or juice and 3 meals and 3 snacks per day.. I have to test my blood 3x a day. My doctor said they wont induce if it's under control.

thanks ladies, turns out I dont have it!. Baby just measuring big.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"