Belly size (Explain this to me please! :P)

Dana_Scully

Zachary's Mommy
Reaction score
It's a dumb question really. I'm 18 weeks, they say that the uterus is a couple of inches under my belly button. Right, so baby is under the belly button.

Then why is the bit ABOVE my belly button so fat?? lol Is it my organs getting pushed up? Somedays it feels like the above is way bigger. When people pet my belly I'm like "Baby's under the belly button, now you're just petting my tummy fat :p"

I'm so big for 18 weeks, I feel like an impostor, like it's all belly fat because's the baby is not that big yet. :dohh:

I feel the same... I don't feel like I have a baby bump I just feel like I have a massive POT GUT!! lol Looking at other preggo bumps - it seems to stick out from the bottom but not mine... hehe..

Looking forward to seeing what people respond to this question!! :)

I'm coming up on 18 weeks and have a bump... Which as you say is supposedly uterus... But what I don't get is why the baby's heartbeat is found by the pelvic bone still if they have all this space up there? Lol

I am also wondering this, I had guessed it was pushed up organs.

I don't know, but I am 14 weeks and need to wear maternity clothes already. I can feel where baby is- about halfway to my belly button. Yet my 'bump' sticks out furthest at my belly button. Maybe I am just getting fat?

Yes same here! I felt really "fat"because I never really felt my uterus or the hard bump that you are supposed to get. I just transitioned from bloated, to more bloated, to "Oh looks like that's your bump!"

The area around my ribcage has significantly changed and I can only attribute it to everything getting pushed up by the baby.

If I listen to the heart beat, I usually find it about an inch above pelvic line and I too always wondered about why it was so low, if my uterus is higher at 21 wk.

But when I went for my scan yesterday, the tech was all over the place, up to an inch above my belly button!

I was wondering too on another forum and a lady linked this...totally amazing!

https://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/

https://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/

Wow that was fab to watch wondered how it all moved around an was wondering when my belly would look like 1 instead of my top have looking fat haha.

I am now 24 weeks, I noticed that I was getting bigger above my tummy button which felt quite hard.
I still have this now and think that is bigger than below, although that is growing too as it is getting in the way lol. I am also noticing, again above, my sides are starting to fill out a bit. I still have my waist curves at the back, but deffo gone at the front

The one thing I dread is if my tummy button sticks out.............I really dont want that to happen :nope::nope::nope:

Yup, your uterus itself is up to your navel, but as it's grown it's pushed everything that was above it higher :D the link Starstryder posted is fab and informative, it's incredible how our organs accommodate the growing uterus!

Awesome link! I guess we were right about the organs getting pushed up! The baby seems so far away from the skin, it's a miracle that I can feel him kick!

Wow that's amazing!! :)

thank you for this link! its great and exactly what i needed to see lol

Yes, definitely the organs getting pushed up. As soon as my "baby belly" started showing (within the past couple of weeks), I started having heartburn along with it. Apparently my uterus is also tilted forward moreso than most women, so I guess that makes a difference, too.

I'm another one who is huge above the belly button and flabby below :blush: I never really thought about it before to be honest its fascinating to watch though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->