• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Benefiber ??

sweetangel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if benefiber is safe to take? I asked my dr, pharmacist and a midwife and no one seems to have heard of it the pharmacist did go get some from the main shelf in boots and had a read and thought it would be ok but not too sure so left the decision in my hands and i had a m/c a few wks ago so am very cautious.

Any help appreciated, I did google but seems there is mixed responses.

Sweet x

I have done a quick google and the general advise is when pregnant or breastfeeding to consult medical advice before using. In terms of ingredients I can't see why there would be an issue, but perhaps you should go with a list of the ingredients and get the doctor to run through it. https://www.drugs.com/drp/benefiber-supplement.html

Personally I would prefer to stick to increasing my daily fibre through making better food choices and ensuring I drink enough water. Also the reason why your digestion slows down is to eek out as many nutrients as possible so I wouldn't worry too much about being constipated. It's a horrible but kind of necessary symptom! I use Wind-eze (UK version) when the bloating becomes painful as that does state on the back of the packet that it is suitable during pregnancy. Other brands of similar anti-bloating tablets aren't necessarily okay though as they all have different formulations.

Hope that helps!

I have been taking Benefiber since my 1st trimester because I had such bad MS I had to take Zofran, which is incredibly constipating! I've continued to take it daily just to stay regular, it is on my doctor's list of "approved medications" for pregnancy. Also, you can try Metamucil, as it is a category B drug according to the FDA, meaning that studies have shown no adverse effect on the fetus :thumbup:

I have been taking Benefiber since my 1st trimester because I had such bad MS I had to take Zofran, which is incredibly constipating! I've continued to take it daily just to stay regular, it is on my doctor's list of "approved medications" for pregnancy. Also, you can try Metamucil, as it is a category B drug according to the FDA, meaning that studies have shown no adverse effect on the fetus :thumbup:

Thats brill baby_hopes thanks for the help. I think benefiber must be a american product cos no medical professional i have asked over here as heard of it.

:thumbup: Thank you xx

lol, yes must be american only because it's popular over here and works great! :thumbup:

I'm sure I've seen it in Boots - but they display it with the diet and weightloss supplements here, near all the protein shakes. I guess it's probably not marketed as a medicine either so probably wouldn't appear on our UK medicine lists.

Found it. Here you go:

https://www.boots.com/en/Benefiber-Powder-155g_46640/

started taking it today colace and activia not really doing anything

I took fibogel through most of my pregnancy and it worked very well. No matter how much wholemeal bread or dried fruit i ate i couldnt go to the toilet unless i had 1 fibogel a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->