benifits of breastfeeding after one year

ButterCup17

Reaction score
So I always said I'd bf for one year. Well the time is almost here and I don't want to stop. Lo has already started self weaning. His biggest feed is in the morning. I offer twice during the day (after his naps) but he usually isn't interested and the same with before bed. OH says I should stop at a year like I said "bc it's easier ", not really sure what he means by that as bf'ing isn't actually difficult. The only time it is a "bother" is if I go away without him and need to pump and leave a bottle, but that's rare. So just wondering, besides the bonding, what are reasons you continue bf'ing past a year? Are there health benefits or do you juts continue bc you can? I'm still not sure what I will do. Tia!

The World Health organisation recommends 2yrs or beyond. There are health benefits (odd spikes of antibodies that coincide with walking and talking etc.) but for me that's not the reason I continued. For me why fix something that isn't broken. It was working for me so I just kept doing it. It seems a hassle to try to force something LO and you don't want to do. It was also a godsend when LO started nursery; there were so many bugs around that I'm sure she'd have been dehydrated if she hadn't had the boob to give her fluids and comfort at the same time. Plus it was the only thing that would calm her when teething. I don't know what I would have done without it!

Besides it being an overall nutritious substance to get in their bellies when they go through picky eating phases, it's also helped out when DS1 has been sick. They start interacting around other kids so much more after age 1. When he's too sick to keep anything down, breast milk always sits well in his tummy. It helps prevent tantrums by giving them regular calming quiet times and by preventing the sudden "hangry" meltdowns.
It's really not easier to stop, lol. There WILL be times that a toddler will want food, but be unable to bring themselves to eat the food you have (it's an adaptation to prevent them from poisoning themselves-- they really are put off of the food), and then they will be hungry and upset, not to mention 2y molars. We went through that when my milk dried up in the pregnancy; it's not enjoyable and I'm desperately glad that we don't have those times anymore.
There will always be health benefits for eating a healthy food.

I breastfed way past a year. For many reasons. Well, it wasn't hard to find reasons to continue, but it was hard to find reasons to STOP. It was so easy. It's more nutritious. It was bonding time for us.

When I decided to wean him at 22 months, it was so easy. I just said "Tatas are for babies, and you are a big boy now". He only asked twice that day and then he never asked again.

It also gives the mother wonderful benefits like lowering the risks of certain cancers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->