Best alternative to ultrasound gel?

4magpies

TTC #2 IVF
Reaction score
I've run out of my little tube of stuff I got with my Doppler.

I've heard people saying to use oil and lotion, a friend has told be KY jelly which I'm guessing will work quite well as it's a clear gel and they use it for internal US.

Any suggestions? What've you used that's worked well?

I just used baby oil :D I see you're in Cardiff! Me too and I'm also 25. About 5 weeks pregnant this time around! 👋 nice to meet you. X

I just used baby oil :D I see you're in Cardiff! Me too and I'm also 25. About 5 weeks pregnant this time around! 👋 nice to meet you. X

Oh hello! I'm actually in Newport which is close enough. I'm actually 26 now just haven't updated. Haha.

If you want to send me you mobile no by PM and we can text ect. I could probably do with your insight as this is my first time.

Nice to meet you too. Haha.

xxx

KY Jelly works well. When I worked as a nurse on urology we'd use it for bladder scanners when we ran out (which work using sound waves) and I've seen it used in maternity too for dopplers.

Last pregnancy I used KY jelly. I was able to pick up blood vessels and bowel sounds very well. Can't comment on heartbeats as that pregnancy didn't have a heartbeat, though from the sound quality on the other sounds I'd expect it to work well.

my midwife swore that hand sanitiser gel worked better than anything else.

Great thanks guys will pick some up when I go shopping.

I used olive oil, ha ha! It was the only thing I had in the house and it worked fantastic! :thumbup:

Clear aloe vera gel - it's cheap and very similar to ultrasound gel. Plus, it has the added bonus that it's moisturizing for your skin, so just rub it in when you're done :)

Ky is great, but i tend to use olive oil as I have it and I don't have ky, hearing heart beat before 10 weeks so obviously works lol.

I sent you a message with my number, it did something odd. Pm me if you didn't get it and I'll resend.

X

I just bought some ultrasound gel on amazon because I used aloe and it sounded very bad with a lot of static. That was just my experience. The ultrasound gel sounds much better on my doppler. Less random sounds. But I have heard of a lot of people that like the aloe and KY.

I just use baby oil, never thought of olive oil though!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->