best carrier for a toddler?

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
Im going away and wanted something to carry him before the flight, in particular with the idea that he might fall asleep as the flight is late at night, so I guess that front facing?
I have a meitai which is fine and he likes but was thinking that maybe an ergo was easier for the situation?
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

For a toddler above 25 lbs, I've heard excellent things about the toddler Tula. I've just ordered myself a standard Tula since my daughter is only about 15 lbs, but everyone I know raves about the toddler Tula! (Especially compared to the Ergo.)

I'm a massive Ergo fan for toddlers. My toddler found it really comfy (and still does), and he fell asleep in it really easily too. Also, we went on a walking holiday and I carried him for about 6 / 7 hours a day and it was so comfy - definitely made the holiday easy!

I would only get an Ergo for a baby. It's unlikely to be wide enough to support a toddler properly from knee pit to knee pit, as the photos on this blog show quite well - https://www.documentingdelight.com/2013/03/06/ergo-tula-for-a-toddler-a-comparison/ You may find one okay and I'm sure many people continue using them from when their LO was a baby, but if you're starting at toddler age I'd just get a proper toddler carrier so you know it'll be right.

I have a pre-school Rose & Rebellion (they do a toddler size too, but I was able to use the pre-school one from younger than a year old with my very long legged LO, so I'd recommend measuring to see what is likely to be best with your LO) and I love it. It's very easy to use and very comfortable for us both. Both kids are very vocal (2 and 4 years old) so I'd know if it wasn't :rofl:.

However, if it's something you're wanting to sit comfortably in, I'd recommend looking at wraps. With an SSC, you're going to have buckles which are fine when you're standing but if you want to sit back and get comfortable yourself, they can get a little 'diggy' after a while. With a wrap, it's all just fabric and there are a million ways to tie them. My favourite way has a knot at the side or under LO's bum at the front so nothing digging in my back.

Many thanks ladies.
Lo is 12 kg, not sure hjow much that is in pounds, :blush:
Im not sure what to do now, that toddler carrier looks so much better than the ergo!

Skip the ergo! Ergo's really only fit smaller babes, like less than 12 months comfortably.. yes you can carry bigger kiddos but it's not comfy IMO since they aren't really knee to knee and the back is very low.

We LOVE our toddler Tula.. they're great as soon as babe is about 25lbs (12ish kg) and 30/31". So much comfier for mama and baby than the ergo!

The toddler kinderpack is another option.. it seems mamas like the KP or the Tula and not both. I've tried the KP but sold it right away as I love the Tula more but it really is a personal preference thing I think :) If you have a sling library or friends nearby with either carrier, I'd go give them a try! But Tula's are GREAT! Check out the facebook groups too as they're full of great info!

Here's a good comparison picture :)

Attachments

• tula comparison.jpg
    tula comparison.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
---
any idea where I can buy an 'affordable' tula?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->