Best Fetal heart doppler?

Angela89

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a fetal heart Doppler. The one I have looked into that seems the best is the Sonoline B. They can be pricey but on ebay go for $50ish, with gel. What are your opinions on the heart dopplers & what brand do you use or have used? Also how early could you detect a heart rate? The one I found said it can pick up a heart beat between 8-9 weeks. I'll be 9 weeks Monday. At my appointment Thursday my babies heart rate was 171. The one I have looked into also shows the heart rate.

Defo the Sonoline B - loads of people on here use them. Mine is on baby number two and I found him loud and clear at 8+6 x

I'll second the sonoline B! I think its great, and I found my baby's HB around 8w3d I think? Maybe it was 8w6d...for sure before 9 weeks though! LOL

I loved the Sonoline B, and I got mine from ebay, with no ultrasound gel included. I picked up a bottle of aloe vera gel, which conducts the sound equally well, and works great!

I know a lot of folks are saying that they're picking up the hb before 14 weeks on a home doppler, and that's awesome if that's your experience, but it was NOT mine, and what can happen, is that you can give yourself a good scare if you don't pick up the hb nice and early. Really, it is far more common to be able to reliably pick up the fetal hb around 14-16 weeks on a home doppler, so do NOT become frightened or upset if you have a tougher time.

The best time to use the doppler is in the evening, after you've been lying down, and perhaps after eating a light snack with something cold to drink...all of these actions seem to get the baby good and bouncy, and easier to find.

Yup, I used aloe vera gel as well.

And I will say it took a very, very long time of searching to find the heartbeat. Even after the first time hearing it, to try and hear it again...couldn't do it that day. And next day it took me 40 minutes to find it. So yes, its very hard to find it early on - and it won't register the beats per minute on the doppler since its so faint. But I could hear it no problem.

I agree, in the evening with a full bladder and start out very low near your pubic bone. Move very s-l-o-w and angle the wand in all directions at each spot you stop at before moving on. I had to have the volume ALL the way turned up in the beginning, and press pretty firmly.

Good suggestions, there.

I also watched about a dozen videos on YouTube on how to use it, and what the heartbeat sounds like, vs. other sounds you'll be hearing.

The best indication of the baby's heartbeat, is that it will always sound like a galloping horse. If it's a whooshing sound, that's the bloodflow through the placenta, and a lower regular heartbeat may be your own. It MUST sound like a galloping horse...and then you'll know it's the baby you're hearing!

All excellent advice! Good luck, OP!

I have the sonoline b as I've heard it's the best.

I knew it was early but thought I'd pick it up straight away.

But I couldn't pick up baby's heartbeat and I tried for days, but I found out today at my private scan I have a tilted uterus :dohh:

But it does give you a scare if you don't find it. That's the whole reason I booked this scan.

I won't be using mine until after 12 weeks now so I don't stress myself out.

So if you get one, don't presume you'll find it! It's great if you do but it's still early :thumbup:

Yes! When you hear the whooshing sound or galloping noise, you're usually pretty close.

And I must have watched every single dang youtube video I could find. lol :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->