Best friend has the same baby name picked

mummof1

Reaction score
So my best friend is 26 weeks and we both haven't talked about names much because we're both not announcing the name until the baby is born.
A LONG time ago, when I was around 12 weeks she mentioned a couple of names that they like and I told her that our boy names are Calvin and Avery.. She said she thought Avery was cute .

Anyway today she tells me that they are having a hard time deciding because they don't know the sex of their baby but her husband LOVES Calvin for a boy !

I said ummmm that's the name that we have , that my husband reeeeally loves and we are leaning towards it being the name for sure .
She said her husband has always loved that name from the beginning of their pregnancy but I have our text convo from months ago that shows I told her the name!

She doesn't really love it but now we are worried that if they have a boy that's the name they will choose ..
What do you ladies think?
It's fine if we both name our babies Calvin? Even though we're best friends
Or do we announce the name now ?
Or do we find another name even though we had it first lol

Oh wow I don't know I can't lie I would be so pissed off! Lol have you tried saying to her, gently that you think she must have forgotten to genuinely you did mention the name to her (send her screen shot of convo) tell her how much the name means to you and that you and your husband have bonded with that name for your baby boy? It all drowned how much the name means to you and how set on it you are. I wouldn't suggest announcing the name though not right after this conversation with her lol I can see that causing a big rift xx

I guess if you do want to take the plunge and claim the name so to speak lol you have the advantage in being able to announce the name because she obviously can't given that she doesn't know if they are having a girl or a boy! Does your friend not go on forums? I would be scared in case she sees this lol xx

Tell her your gonna name bubba the name no matter what comes or goes, if you really love the name then use it :)

show her the onsee you got made with the name on it, or the dummy clip or something random to show your commitment to the name lol either she will change her mind or you will both have kids the same age with the same name, on the bright side, if you ever decide to get tattoos of your kids name you could also get matching ones!

always look on the bright side of life hehe

Plus shes 26 weeks and your 24 weeks, there is a chance she could go into labour after you

I don't think she stole your name, her husband is the one who likes it not her. Just because you mentioned the name to her doesn't mean her husband couldn't have come up with the name on his own as it isn't exactly an uncommon or unusual name. Tell her that you are naming your baby Calvin and then let them decide whether or not they are going to use it too. If you like it then use it. My best friend and I were both named Jessica growing up, people called us Jessica Squared and we thought it was awesome.

Ok i am going to be a dick here, are you sure you LOVE the name, or did her mentioning she wanted to use it sway your vote? What if you announce that you are going to use the name then completely go off it by the time baby gets here ( sort of thing i do....) just saying xx have a good think about it xxx

I would go with Avery, I think it's nicer anyway!

Thanks for the advice ladies !!! We talked about it a bit more .. I just felt worried that they would be upset if we say that's our name !
She said she isn't 100% on it so she's doubtful it will be their name anyway (if they have a boy) I wanted to make sure her hubby wouldn't be upset if we choose the name he really had his heart set on but she said he's fine because he knows she isn't in love with the name.
We also said bottom line if we both DID end up choosing the name , so be it lol.
People would probably laugh at us and think we did it on purpose because we are so close but oh well lol!
And yes for the one who said go with Avery , that's my first choice but my hubbys first choice is Calvin lol

One of my sons step brothers has the same name that we will use for our son.... it has nothing to do with that babys mom or that baby or my son for that matter.

If you love the name, use it. :thumbup:

Sounds like you have a good friendship and have sorted it out already :)

We probably should have realized we need to discuss names lol we both aren't announcing our names until birth so that's why we weren't really talking about it , but ya we think it's going to be fine anyway ! I'm glad they aren't upset if we do choose the name !

I know this isn't exactly the same case but my best friend and I have the same name for our dog. We both named our dogs Blue.
When I talk to her about my dog I always say "ya blue did this...." it just makes me feel kind of awkward. Her and I will both be yelling for our pups at the same time "Blue come here" over the phone. It makes things strange when I'm talking to her about my dog.
And if you are to talk to your husband or anyone about her child you'll have to say his name and constantly remind people of whose son you are talking about.
Just my opinion anyways, perhaps if you stick with that name just start calling him Calvin from now, refer to your baby as Calvin when you are talking to her and she will likely feel obligated to choose a different name because she may feel like she is copying you.
Good luck let us know how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->