Best learning books?

LoveMyBaby786

Reaction score
What is a good book I can read to my lo to help him start learning numbers and colours and simple words? He can speak a few words and only 2 or 3 2word sentences but not as much as most toddlers on this forum that i have read about in the same age group so would rather start at home now with some fun bright books as I know he does get frustrated because he cant communicate properly.
Any helpful books that you can recommend? I dont want small writing ones preferably large font with pictures. Thanks!

Sorry I don't know any books specifically for learning, ds always just liked picture books in general.
He wasn't saying much before he was 2, certainly no 3 word sentences no need to think your lo is behind or anything.
Xx

I agree with the previous poster about not worrying but my DD loved these gruffalo picture books around that age. We had the colours, numbers, opposites and animal actions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-First-Gruffalo-Julia-Donaldson/dp/0230753140

I wouldn't focus on specific books as such, more high quality picture books that he is going to enjoy. My son absolutely loves looking at the pictures a pointing to things and asking "what's that". He has learnt most of his animal from this. I would go to the library and look at some books that will focus his attention such as picture books that look at cars, animals etc.

I read to my son and most of the time I don't get to finish the book as he is constantly turning pages and looking at things but he is exploring. Below is a list of books that are currently on our book shelf.

With books they pick up on the language used and will start to use that in their vocabulary. I wouldn't focus on specific things such as counting or colours as they are abstract ideas. I sing a lot of nursery rhymes like 5 little men in a flying saucer, or 10 green bottles etc. Through that my son can say numbers 0-10 not always in the right order but it's not really important at the age.

Examples, anything by Julia Donaldson,
Owl Babies by Martin Wadell
Peace at Last by Jill Murphy
Wibbly Pig picks a pet by Mick Inkpen
Lost and Found by oliver Jeffers
The Tiger who cam to Tea by Judith Kerr
Not Now, Bernard by David McKee
The Selfish Crocodile by Faustin Charles
Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman
We love you Hugless Douglas by David Melling
Pip and Posy by Axel Scheffler
The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
Giraffes can't dance by Giles Andreae

https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Bunny...8&qid=1400628199&sr=8-2&keywords=hungry+bunny

This one covers numbers, colours, shapes, and some food names. A new take of sorts on the Hungry Caterpillar theme. My child likes it and it might or might not have kick started her need to count everything. I personally find it slightly boring and repetitive and prefer to get her books with a storyline.

I think you're toddler is going to be the best judge of what books are good for learning. The best learning tools are whatever your child is interested in.

Jack loves the Richard Scarry books. They have ones with numbers, letters, colours, etc but all within the story. He loves them because there's lots of cars in the series.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies :) ive read him some random books before like goldilocks and the 3 bears and he sits there all quietly until I finish so he does enjoy it. I know if I get books with pictures he tries to point and name them (if he knows what it is) as had a small collection of mickey mouse books from ebay once and he would say some words he knew so thought he enjoyed them kind of books more. Will check out all the links :)

I'd recommend just going to a book store and actually looking through the books to find some good ones. Sometimes its hard to tell just by the cover if you are ordering online, etc. I read a lot of different types of books to the boys. For learning new words when early in speech, we used a lot of picture type books, with only one picture per page. that made it very easy to point out what it was, without having other distracting things on the page. I also have some baby words books that have several pics per page too, though, and they are all in their own block on the page to try and separate each one so you can help teach each picture/word to your lo.

For colors, I like the types of books that have a several different things on each page that are all one color. That way you can teach 2 things at once: the color that all the things are, and what each thing is called.

We do a lot of storybooks too, usually at bedtime.

My LO learnt his colours from this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0764165623?pc_redir=1400219164&robot_redir=1

It has letters, numbers and pictures of everyday things as well as some stories. He loves it.

I don't know where you are, but libraries are brilliant for kids. You can 15 books out in the uk, and sometimes it isn't until you sit and read that you realise they are dull/uninteresting.

Or have a look if you can get any second hand. I do find it's good to have a wide selection, so you can vary them, depending on what their mood is like (ie short picture books, or longer stories).

I have with both girls used the 'My first' books. I have used them from the minute they showed an interest in books and cant praise them enough! The 'first 100 words' book has probably been the book which has been most used and DD2 is able to say about 50 of the words in it just through bringing it out for a few mins a day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Word...=1400699876&sr=8-2&keywords=my+first+100+word
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colours-My...d=1400699686&sr=8-1&keywords=my+first+colours

I've heard that it's important to describe things to your child such as "Did you see the YELLOW school bus?" or the "bright GREEN car".

My LO is very book obsessed but isn't saying much yet. He can identify some letters, numbers and colors if asked though. He just doesn't say the words. I would say it's from reading things he likes, watching shows about reading (Super Why) and just me pointing out colors or counting things. Sometimes I count his cereal pieces or count while I change his diaper or say the alphabet, etc.

My DD loves the BabyLit series of board books. They're based on classic literature and use really wonderful illustrations based on whatever book and then go along with a theme if that makes sense. We've got the Alice in Wonderland one which is colors, Dracula for counting, etc. I like that they're so different and the pictures really seem to draw DD's attention.

She also really loves Eric Carle's books, especially the classic Hungry Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear Brown Bear.

I haven't got a specific book for 'learning' (agree with PP that the best book will be the one your LO happens to be interested in) but Joni loves the following books and since she loves them they are the ones that get the most 'interaction' like pointing out things in the pictures or trying to repeat the lines:

(PS she is same age as your LO and speaks a lot but doesn't know her colours or numbers yet)

Dear Zoo- Rod Campell
Going on a Bear Hunt- Michael Rosen (She likes to do some actions)
The Best Lowly Worm Book Ever- Richard Scarry (So much to see in the pictures)
What the Ladybird Heard- Julia Donaldson (got lots of animal noises)
Monkey Puzzle- Julia Donaldson
Night Monkey Day Monkey- Julia Donaldson
Unfortunately- Alan Durant & Simon Rickerty
Snug as a Bug- Tamsyn Murray (got counting)
The Tiger Who Came to Tea- Judith Kerr

Often her favourites are ones with a lot of repetition which a lot of these have. E.g. in the "Unfortunately" one, every page starts with "unfortunately" or "fortunately" depending what is going on with the little boy in the jungle.

Sometimes, I have to read them or look at them quite a few times before she gets interested. She seems more interested when she knows what's going to happen. And we don't always read all the words, just chatting about the pictures and making your own stories up is good too.

Other than that, I don't think you need to go out of your way to 'learn' from books...just enjoy them for what they are and things will get learnt naturally.

PS Since your LO does seem to like the books I reckon it's just trial and error. What one likes another might not like as much! Think a lot of the ones I've put are 'classics' though that a lot of children like. We do get books out at the library but she is too distracted to look at them until we get home xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->