Best stroller for walking with dogs

SarahA

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm still a second-trimester groupie, but I'm posting this here because you're all more likely to have made these decisions already.

Do any of you have any recommendations about which stroller would be best for walking with two large dogs? We need something sturdy that won't tip over if my dogs act like maniacs (which happens sometimes, despite the endless hours of obedience training). But we don't have a lot of extra space in our home/car, so we need something that folds up nicely.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Stroller in the UK is something different to what's over seas (I think) as it's a forward facing pushchair, but going from the meaning over here, Cosatto yo! is very sturdy, thick frame and lasts years. My DD is tall for her age and stopped using it around the age of 3 but comes with head snug and footmuff which pads out the seating area more. She went in it the odd time from newborn as she settled better but used my original pram more. Unsure if it's sold in Canada or not.

I don't have any stroller suggestions, but I do have a leash suggestion! I use a JacTrac (Calgary based company) hands free leash, I attach both my dogs to it (crazy boxer and laid back golden retriever) and the dogs walk one on either side of me. Pair the leash with a martingale collar and its the best tool I've found to teach the dogs to heel, and the leashes are short and keep the dogs right next to you and keep your hands free to push the stroller in front of you. It keeps the dogs away from the stroller so if they act crazy you don't have to worry about them knocking the stroller over.

https://www.jactrac.ca

I use this with one of my dogs: https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/halti-dog-head-collar#. It works like a horse's bridle.

I never got the hang of dog walking with a pushchair - the dogs were either too close to the wheels and getting clipped or too far away and so we were too wide altogether. Also, one of my dogs didn't like the pushchair. We used a carrier - a good one, not a Bjorn or anything like that. I had a very lovely mei tai that I can't wait to get out again for this baby, then a Rose and Rebellion once he was a toddler.

We have a phil and teds sport which is very sturdy and good for dog walking, but it doesn't fold up that small I'm afraid.

I hated using a stroller when walking my dog. It was easier to have baby in a carrier. My dog is also e-collar trained to respond to the beep tone (no zapping) so I would put that on with his regular collar and leash allowing me to safely drop the leash if needed but still have "control" to have him return to my side.

We use the bob revolution and love it for walking the neighborhood. We also carry baby in the ergo too, as sometimes it's easier when we have the dog with us. Both are good options, although I would struggle with two dogs either way, lol.

I second the recommendation for a wrap or carrier. I actually don't have a dog, but I do have a very sturdy off-road pushchair and even that sometimes tips over if I hang too much weight on the handlebar. If you will have the force of two dogs potentially pulling on it or pulling on you, you won't easily be able to maneuver it. I would get a wrap or carrier so you can have your hands free if you'll be doing the dog walking solo, or use whatever you would normally use and take your partner or a friend along to manage the dogs.

I don't have any stroller suggestions, but I do have a leash suggestion! I use a JacTrac (Calgary based company) hands free leash, I attach both my dogs to it (crazy boxer and laid back golden retriever) and the dogs walk one on either side of me. Pair the leash with a martingale collar and its the best tool I've found to teach the dogs to heel, and the leashes are short and keep the dogs right next to you and keep your hands free to push the stroller in front of you. It keeps the dogs away from the stroller so if they act crazy you don't have to worry about them knocking the stroller over.

https://www.jactrac.ca

Thank you for this suggestion... I didn't even know these existed... I went to Amazon did a search and picked up one for my dog. ;)

I have had large dogs since my daughter was a baby, I used a front carrier to walk them at first and then a jogging stroller once she could sit up/had head control. My advice is keep your dog on a short leash and make them walk next to the stroller and less risk of tipping that way

We have one dog and also like to do a lot of trail walking, so we got a BOB Revolution as well. I've tried it out with our dog once (no baby yet, just wanted to see how it was) and she did great, but of course it all depends on what your dogs are like. You can check online for the fold-up specs to see if size works for you.

No baby yet, but I've been contemplating this a lot lately! I've got two medium sized dogs that are fairly well trained on a single split leash (though they tend to get a little crazy when they see another dog). Hoping I'll be able to take them both and bebeh for walks after he is born without too much hassle...although I'm anticipating some trial and error! It really depends on your dogs I think.

Looking into different types of collars/leashes is probably a great idea too :winkwink:

I've got a Trenton deluxe from mothercare but from what I've heard the best is mountain buggy swift, my guys are big so I've had to work out positioning my old boy goes on the outside where my youngster is much sharper so is right by my leg both on one side. I would take the dogs out long before baby is born to work on walking nicely, with the pram :).

(Sorry popped over for a nosy from 2nd tri).

I had a sturdy three wheeler, mothercare my3 which worked fine, my staffy x was great on lead though and walked neatly by the side. I always held her though, never tied her to the pram.
I did however find it so much easier using a carrier, I had a rose and rebellion and then hands free for dog walking!

Thanks so much for all the replies! The plan is to use a carrier as much as possible, but babes is due in October, and the frigid Canadian winter will be right around the corner. However, I just found out that they make winter coats that zip around a carrier, so that's awesome.

There's a doggy daycare/training facility in Calgary and they do a training class to teach the dog to walk with a stroller. You can also buy a package that includes the walking lessons, how to get the dog ready for the baby before the birth, how to introduce after the birth, and includes daycare services (including pick up any time day or night!) for a few days when your baby is born. It's fairly expensive, but I know a lot of mothers who said it was awesome. If you're worried you could always look for something like that!

Really recommend a nice ergonomic carrier or a wrap as others have said. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to maneuver a stroller, especially off road, while trying to keep dogs on a lead and under control. But yes, you absolute can babywear in winter and it's probably more snug and warm for your baby than a stroller. We always took our daughter out in the carrier or wrap in the winter. I just put an extra layer on her legs, plus extra socks or soft moccassins, and then wore a large winter coat around us both with her legs zipped inside, plus a warm hat. You don't need to buy a special one, just a normal coat in a larger size that will fit you both. Just make sure you get a proper parent facing carrier (not like a Baby Bjorn), which besides not being ergonomic for their hips, means baby is facing out and taking the brunt of the wind/rain/snow and also a little bit being strangled by the zip. It's much more comfortable for both of you when they face in, especially in the elements.

First of all I am agree with @rescuemom82 on this "My advice is keep your dog on a short leash and make them walk next to the stroller and less risk of tipping that way" .

Now the ideal choice for this kind of stroller is "BOB 2016 Revolution Flex Stroller
". But please take your demo before pick it up.

Thanks

I would recommend a carrier/wrap for dog walking with just the one baby (this is what I did with DS) but if not and you want a buggy then Phil & Ted is sturdy, narrow and 3 wheeler with pumped tyres so good for dog walks!
With 2 little people I have an Out N About Nipper also fab for dog walking :thumbup:

I have a Shar pei she is great when walking unless we meet another dog and then she is mental so I also use a halti & harness on her so stop her pulling me or the buggy over :thumbup:

Oh yeah and do not attach the dog to the buggy just for safety reasons (out & about I can use easily one handed :thumbup:)

I have two 100+ lb dogs, one of which is super dog-aggressive while on-leash. My son was also born in October, and I would definitely recommend a carrier instead of a stroller for walking dogs.

I would use a hands-free leash and martingale collar on the calmer dog, making sure the waist strap of the leash was positioned under the waist strap of the carrier so my son's feet couldn't get caught. I would use a regular training leash/collar combo with the aggressive dog so that I could have full hands-on control of her if we came across other dogs.

I'm also in Canada but on the West Coast which does not get the crazy Canadian winters that happen in the rest of the country. However, we do still get snow and ice and I can definitely say that maneuvering the stroller in the snow was a lot harder than babywearing and walking in the snow, even without the dogs.

My son is almost three and I still take his carrier with us while we walk the dogs. It's great because he can run around to his heart's content and then I can just pop him up on my back when he gets tired/lazy. I never have to worry about juggling the dogs and stroller!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->