bethans birth :)

fernie3

Reaction score
On 3rd feb I woke up at about midnight feeling a rough, dizzy and with stomach pains. I tried to get back to sleep but after about an hour I felt worse so I called the maternity unit who told me to come in. We arrived about 1 am and went on the monitor straight away. My blood pressure was a little high (although not hugely so) and I had +1 of protein so I was told I might have to stay in anyway but when the monitor showed the baby heartbeat as being a bit flat they decided to keep me in "just one night for observation".

The next day came and went, nothing changed apart from the baby was now having prefect traces :) luckily.
Thursday night my blood pressure went a little higher and the next morning they told me that since I was 37 weeks and I had a history of preeclampsia anyway they thought the best thing to do would be to induce before anything worse developed!

Friday afternoon I was transferred to the labour ward and had a first dose of gel.
Nothing happened lol
saturday morning was transfered to a different labour room (because they needed the one i was in for people who were actually in labour - I no longer had my own toilet lol)
still nothing happened. Saturday afternoon about 3 o clock I had my final dose of gel, they said I couldnt have anymore but that the next morning they would discuss further options to get baby out lol

nothing happened - so they moved me back to a ward since I wasnt in labour and my baby wasnt even engaged - they had me bounce on a ball a while still nothing.

About 5pm I noticed a heavy feeling in my tummy nothing major but i was sure something had changed. By 7 o clock I was getting mild tigthenings while I was walking around which stopped when I sat down etc. BUT by 9 I was getting pains that were coming and going and were quite strong. I called the midwife with my little buzzer, an assistant came to the ward and told me that she would fetch a midwife, half an hour passed an no one came. Vy this time the pains were getting more and more intense and I was convinced I was in labour although I had no idea how far along (based on my previous labour Im guessing I felt as though I was maybe 5-6 cms from strength of contractions).

I pressed my buzzer again and the assistant came back saying she would find someone - 10pm came no one had come to check on me! - my husband was saying " what difference does it make just have it here!" I was annoyed because I wanted gas and air lol

Finally at about 10:15 a midwife turned up and felt my tummy saying - you might be in very early labour but its probably the side effects of the gel! When I asked her check if I had progressed at all she told me "there is no indication you are in labour" - although me telling her was a pretty good one i think!

She tried to send my husband home because visiting time was over but then agreed he could at least help me have a bath first as she was sure this would ease the "cramping"!

got in the bath which seemed about a mile down the corridor lol and about 5 minutes later felt this loud pop right between my legs and a bubbling feeling I leapt up expecting to see a gush of water down my legs but there was nothing - I was doubting it was my waters but with the next contraction a tiny amount of pink water leaked out and I knew they had gone they were just not coming out fast for some reason.

the next contraction was incredibly painful! I shouted to my husband to get the midwife since I could feel the baby coming down and was getting the urge to push. The midwife heard me anyway since her office was next to the bathroom and came running in.

I waddled down the corridor to the first availible room and the midwife started saying "do you need to push you sound like your pushing!".

I got up onto the bed the midwife toook oner look and pulled the emergency alarm so lights and sirens were going off lol - the babys head was virtually out and the room wasnt equipped with anything for a birth so people started running in with trays of things etc and finally my gas and air arrived for the last two pushes lol

the baby bethan arrived eyes wide open with a shocked look on her face weighing 6 pounds 12.She was a bit cold and grunty so we had skin to skin for a couple of hours before going to the ward :) we had to stay in until monday because she was having trouble keeping her temp up.

She is gorgeous although a bit of a night owl!

hugs
sophie and Bethan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back