?BF and pumping

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
My milk came in on day 2. We are still getting into a routine but my breasts are giagantic (they easily triple if not more) and my son can't keep up yet. (He was a snacker but we now are getting full feelings in instead).

So how can I pump to keep from engorgment but also ensure I don't increase supply? I don't want to exclusively pump but I need to pump to prevent engorgment.

As far as I know there's no such thing really! The only thing you can do if you wanna stop engorgement is persevere, 'cause if you're pumping you're telling your body you need that milk and it will continue to produce it. If you just put up with it for a few days and have full boobs, your supply will automatically decrease because your body will realise it's producing too much.

Just keep going with it if you wait it out they will calm down. I had the same problem now they only get engorged if she somehow sleeps for ages. If they get so bad she struggles to latch I would hand express a small amount.

When I pumped with DS they always got engorged.

Like the others have said really.

You could try putting LO on more frequently (so he doesn't take as much with each feed, but it still helps with the engorgement) but some babies won't feed till they are ready!

So if they get engorged it's ok?

I thought it could cause problems and lead to other issues.

Last night I was leaking everywhere so I did pump a few times just enough to relieve some pressure. Today I've tried to have him nurse a little more and it seems to be ok.

So if they get engorged it's ok?

I thought it could cause problems and lead to other issues.

Last night I was leaking everywhere so I did pump a few times just enough to relieve some pressure. Today I've tried to have him nurse a little more and it seems to be ok.

Extended engorgement can cause problems - for example if your baby doesn't latch correctly and the breast is never emptied - but it is normal in the early weeks and although uncomfortable does't usually lead to anything worse.

In the early weeks there is also evidence that some of the engorgement is actually swelling not just milk.

Only worry about it if you feel it stops your LO from feeding properly. As your body learns what LO likes to drink and when, it will calm down.

What I am about to say is from what I have learned in the NICU with my preemie and working with LC's. If you don't want to increase supply then I would just pump off a little bit after or before you breast feed. If you do it before, it will help your baby from getting too much milk too quickly. If you pump after it will still tell your body to continue producing milk. A lactation consultant (several actually) told me that you don't want your breasts to get engorged. If you do that, it will tell your body to stop producing milk and it could take a few days for you to get back to the way you want your milk supply to be. Even in the early weeks when I was pumping the hospital and lactation told me never to allow my breasts to get engorged or painful. When i did go long periods without pumping (or breastfeeding) I noticed that 2 days after that my milk supply would be half of what it used to be.

Also, may I ask why you don't want your supply to increase?

I have the same problem when my milk comes in. I've found the only thing that works for us (otherwise the baby can't even latch on i'm so engorged) is to pump for 5-10 minutes before feeding to soften up a bit and then LO can latch on easily. I also wake them up before i expect them to want to eat to prevent engorgement from happening. When i do this, the engorgement usually goes away within a day or two. good luck!

Thanks! Makes sense.

As far as why not increase supply even more is LO is struggling to keep up with it as it is. I think we have found a good medium. With pumping a little. After he would feed they would still be hard so I knew I just had too much.
The last few days I've pumped in the am and pm and just nursed during the day. It feels much better, and my breasts aren't quite as large as they were (I didn't fit in any bras/camis, still don't, but it's not near as uncomfortable).

Now though he is taking bottles and nursing. Just took a little bit to figure out what works for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->