BF help

marley2580

Reaction score
It's been almost two weeks now and my nipples are killing me. I don't think that we're getting the latch right, particularly on the left side. I'm going to get some help with that, but what should I do in the mean time? She threw up this morning and I realised I'd been bleeding again. Should I get some nipple shields until things heal? Should I give one side a rest until it heals? I feel as if I should let some air get to the nipples (am using breast pads), but as soon as I unhook my bra I start pouring everywhere :blush: Anyone got any advice?

I would get some nipple sheilds hun. I dont know a great deal about them but at my parent craft classes the midwives were singing there praises about how much releif they do actually give you in the short term

Obviously im no expert as I havent even had my baby yet let alone breast fed but i guess there worth a try and it stops baby being directly onto the nipple.

I have found this. It dosent sing praises like the midwives did but I suppose a may give you an insight. If you're worried about using them contact your Health Visitor

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/problemsandsolutions/nippleshieldsexpert/

Sorry I cant be of any more help X

Hi Marley

Yes the nipple shields should help to give your nipples a bit of time to heal. Just be careful to only use them for the bare minimum of time as they can reduce your milk supply and also your baby might not latch on properly after using them. I used them for about 24 hours and they were great and suffered no ill effects.

Your milk will settle down, it wont always be spraying everywhere (at which point you'll probably be worrying about your supply!) but to give them time to heal do let the air get to them, even if you hold a muslin by you to catch the milk

There's no shooting or burning pain in your nipples or breasts is there? I'd say if you're cracked and bleeding you should talk to you doctor to get that healed up right away and if they are sore from the latch you should talk to a lactation consultant. It shouldn't hurt. Also look into getting lanolin cream that may help as well. Nurse more on your less sore side to give the sore one a break.
This is just things I've learned and I too have been dealing with sore nipples from having to pump. Hope this helps

Kamilosan cream, apply it to your nipples AND onto a nursing pad and place that in your bra......leave for at least a whole day and night without feeding and re-apply the cream again every about 4-6hrs and you should feel a really big difference. x

Well my nipples are still sore, though they've stopped bleeding for the time being. I've had someone look at my latch and it all seems fine. All they can suggest it could be is because I have red hair - apparently red heads have more sensitive skin. I think it could also be because Kaya has quite a strong bite/suck. Oh well, here's hoping I toughen up a bit soon.

aww bless ya, have you had chance to let them breath at all? hope you start to feel better soon

Marley - who checked your latch? Was it a MW or HV or a lactaction councellor?
FWIW I definitely think your nips toughen up after the initial shock of a newborn sucking but I'd really watch the latch, make sure your baby has a nice wide mouth before putting them on, don't let them attach on like a hoover.

Lansinoh cream is fab btw and totally natural and you can use it for so many purposes.

I was advised to lay on bed with towel resting over boobs to catch the spray and then rub some of the breast milk into nipples! Good full latch is important as other lady said. Have you tried national childbirth trust website. Keep going!

it was a BF counsellor who checked my latch. I know when she's got me wrong because it really really hurts. I've been using Lansinoh for ages now and it does help.

that's fab Marley - lots of MWs and HVs often say latch is fine when it's not really and then it's only found out further down the line.

Give it time, I'm sure things will settle down soon. Try and be as relaxed as possible at each feed too.

You're doing a great job, those early weeks are really hard - I'll need your support in a couple of weeks.

I would look into getting a cream to apply and use the breast shields. You can't really not breast on one side because of engorgement

might well be that it is as you have sensitive skin.

I would try to use the milk to moisturise the nipples and let them breath to speed up the healing process. you might also want to try some homoepathics like arnica and keep on taking it, whereas I am not sure if you are supposed to take them whilst breastfeeding?

hope you get well soon :hi:

I used to rub some of the milk into the nipple and lie on the settee with them exposed, to let the air get to them ( curtains closed of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->