BF premie and getting NO SLEEP!

AnonymousCAT

1DS and Expecting#2
Reaction score
I need some support desperately and need to know that there is light at the end of this so I can keep going. DS was born at 35 wks and had trouble breathing. He was brought to the NICU and ventilated for 24 hrs then put on CPAP for 3 days. Afterwards, he was transferred to SCU for a wk to work on growing and feeding. We have overcome a lot of barriers with BF so far... the separation initially, me having to establish my mild supply with pumping, then had trouble latching so had to use a nipple shield, falling asleep at the breast, then weaning the shield. We are EBF and DS has never had a bottle. DS is 6 wks old now and BF well. It still takes DS about 40-60 min to feed and he wakes every hr to 2 hrs 24/7 to eat. When will he sleep for more time???!!!!! At night he goes most often 1.5 hrs in his cot by our bed. He sleeps better on a chest when we are sitting, but who can do that all the time. BF at night is killing me. I am up at least 3 times a night for at least an hr, sometimes more if he won't settle. Plus he has some reflux as well. When will this get better??? I am so chronically sleep deprived. This has been 6 wks so far.

Thank you!

Hiya, it does get easier but slowly. My baby boy was born at 34 wks and is now 15 wks old. He feeds every 2 hours during day and every 3 hrs at night, so thats a lot of feeds. Each feed will be 10-20 mins, plus winding, settling and possibly a nappy change. I felt he was in the 'new born' stage for wks because he was premie. But each wk is easier. I also express so DH can give a btl once in a while to give me a break.
Hang in there x

Also, the growth spurts can be really tough but very satisfying when you get thru them & i think there is one around 6wks. At that stage my baby was just constantly cluster feeding x

It'll get better as he gets older, but there will most likely always be growth spurts and cluster feeds etc.

It's important to persevere, and I'd recommend just going to bed early to get a few more hours sleep.

Sorry to say but it all sounds fairly 'normal' to me, I didn't have preemies and both of mine behaved like that especially my first. They are so little. Things started to improve dramatically for me around the 3 month mark.
Could you express and have your Oh give him the milk, or are you not wanting to give him a bottle. Also is he on reflux meds? Sorry if I'm suggesting things you've already tried. It sounds like you've done so well to get here.

Thank you for your replies. Took him to the docs yesterday and she prescribed a probiotic to help settle his tummy and recommended he sleep more upright like in a car seat or swing, thought it might be more comfortable with the gas. So last night I sent dh out to buy a reclined swing. OMG! What a miracle. In 10 hrs I got 8 hrs of sleep! He woke to feed twice for an hr each time. I can't believe it's not even 9 am here and I've had 8 hrs. Best money ever spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->