Bf'ing 2nd baby after no bf'ing at ALL with first?

CKJ

Reaction score
Hi all just popping in from 2nd tri! I never really wanted to breast feed my first baby, none of my family have breastfed it seemed like so much hardwork and didn't allow hubby to help. However when the time actually came I kind if wanted to try it but didn't have the guts to, n was unprepared for how bad I felt for not doing so! I felt my body had prepared me n I let it n my baby down in the end.

Cue no.2, having bottle fed I know the advantages-great sleeper, better routine at start, help from others. But my daughter had the most awful awful colic so all was not plain sailing. This time I'm determined to TRY breast feeding, even tho I'm not sure how long I'll last. But I am nervous. Of the pain, my lack of confidence, how long feeds will take, ESP with a toddler to entertain. I felt SO overwhelmed after having E that I got pnd n I don't want to relive that, I want to feel more at ease. Introducing breastfeeding could do that...tho I guess if so I can always stop.

Anyhow is anyone out there trying to feed for the very first time but their second baby? How is it for you?!

Hey :) I ff my first (natural delivery) Gave up breastfeeding within a few days. I was totally unprepared.

Second was a c section so was really worried I'd fail again. But I'm still ebf 5 and a half months and I love it.

My only advice and thing that helped me this time is expect baby to be attached 24/7 in the first few days. I didn't expect that with my first so my supply never got to what it needed to be.

Oh and for me the whole if it hurts ur doing it wrong saying was rubbish. First 2,weeks did hurt till my nipples toughened up. Just apply cream and ride it out. I never had any blisters or cracks but my word did it hurt at times.

Good luck u can do it! X

I felt really worried, especially having a special/high needs toddler. I was stunned at how relaxed things could be though. Entertain the toddler with toys/drawing/snacks while you feed the little one, and take things at your pace. Screw the housework, enjoy settling in! If you're going out, just plan ahead. I used to nip into supermarket cafés to feed, and wearing easy clothing helped my confidence! Your confidence will no doubt kick in with that. It does sound a lot to think about but in practice it's not, everything comes together. Xxx

I don't have a toddler to worry about but just wanted to encourage you to give it a go.
We combifed for a while but I wasn't happy and altho lo did settle with formula at first she soon became just as restless and it didn't send her straight off to sleep like it had been.
Lo will be with you a lot more than you think and it's best to feed on demand, so whenever baby wants which can mean it's hard to get a routine as maybe they'll take some now but want more in an hour, you may get frustrated as you don't know how much there getting, but let baby lead the way.
Get a comfy sofa spot, load up with snacks and drinks and feed as much as poss, easier said than done I know.
Get a sling so lo can stay with you while you're busy with toddler and invest in a pump so you can get a rest once in a while, growth spurts can be tiring.
There is nothing like the bond you get with bf, knowing you are nourishing your child and they are getting everything they need from you including the closeness, baby will also suckle for comfort; cherish that feeling.
Your nipples may get very sore but persevere and it'll get better.

I wasn't able to bf my first. He never latched. When he was 15 months he was diagnosed with hypotonia (low muscle tone) which was the reason he couldn't latch.

My daughter is 15 days old now and the first week I wasn't able to bf because she was in the NICU. I did pump to help with my supply but was also supplying her with BM for that first week so she could come off formula. It's been a hard road since then. I have all the normal complications of bfing such as pain, my nipples, in the milk ducts in my breasts (not a clog although I had one of those too) and my breasts itch when my milk lets down. It's mild pain but highly annoying and constant which can be nerve wracking. On top of that, I have had to use a nipple shield because I have large flat nipples that don't pull out on their own and my baby has a small head and therefore a small mouth so she has an improper latch most of the time which hurts like hell and causes my nipples to turn white at times. She also falls asleep constantly so there is a lot of trying to wake her up and she isn't easy to wake up. I was told that is completely normal and will slowly go away over the first month or so. It takes a long time for those first feeds especially if baby is sleepy those first few weeks. LO currently takes about an hour between trying to get proper latch and keeping her awake. She also wanted to feed constantly which meant I was getting 1 hour sleep for every 3 hour block but I now have her feeding every 2 - 3 hours and then she goes one 5 - 6 hour block at night where I get to sleep in. Her output of diapers is great so I know she's getting enough even with skipping that feeding.

That being said, this is the extreme experience so you are likely to have a much better experience then this. I wanted to share so you can know what a worse case scenario is like. I'm still sticking with it through my frustration. I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant and/or going to a bf support group. I have done both and it has helped me stick to it even if they don't offer anything new to try and solve the issues. Some of them it's just going to take time to work themselves out as you and your baby learn. And if you need a break either physically or emotionally because you are considering quitting all together, get a good pump and just pump and feed for a couple of days and then start over. If you are frustrated, baby will be too and a couple days break is better then giving up if it's something you really want to do.

My first had formula from two weeks but this baby was exclusively BF and we're still going. Best decision I ever made but equally the hardest thing I've ever done. I had all the same issues as the first time around but was mentally prepared and thoroughly researched this time.

First time round I thought you put baby on the boob, it feeds, sorted. Of course no. I've had mastitis, blocked ducts, thrush, we had a bad latch on one side that took a while to sort. Your baby will probably be attached to you for most of the time for the first few weeks at least, and feeding can be constant. I had a two and a half year old to look after so we did drawing, puzzles, went to parent and toddler groups etc.

Of course your BF experience may be plain sailing from the start and I truly hope it is, but it helped me to know that all of above issues and things like pain on letdown, sore nipples etc are all normal and will get better. I took each day at a time and sought lots of help and advice from here, and BF clinic and support workers. It was around 10 weeks for us when finally it felt good.

I don't regret it at all and I love feeding my daughter. Initially if was one of the hardest things I've done, but having formula fed my first I have found BF to be far easier and convenient, not to mention the health benefits for baby and mum.

Good luck :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->