• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bfing a newborn with a toddler?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Is anyone else bfing a newborn and also has a toddler (not bf)? My hubby is off work to help until next week but I am struggling to see how I will cope trying to bf ds2 whilst looking after ds1. We've had lots of problems but when he does feed he's on for about an hour which isn't ideal. I'm considering changing to ebm and formula as I can't see how it can be done. I really wanted to bf :(

The hardest thing I've ever done. I'd say it was ten weeks before Mickey wasn't feeding all day and I started to feel comfortable going out with the boys for more than ten minutes. We had a lot of problems for the first month with very slow weight gain through. I'm glad I'm still bf but considering the amount of time ir took away from Frankie I'm not sure I'd choose to do it again x

i agree with dk. Lots of distraction and make sure anything he can get into is put away. Its very hard. My dh wasnt able to take anytime off of work so ive been here alone since she has been born. Some how im managing lol good luck and you can do it. I have also been pumping after most feeds to save up some breast milk incase i do find i cant keep up with everything.

I was on my own with a 17 month old and a newborn from 2 weeks when oh went back to work. I did manage, using a breastfeeding pillow so that once latched on I could use my arms, also, making sure my toddler had a drink, a clean bum and a snack before I sat down to feed as he was sure to ask for one of those once I couldn't move! we had set dvds that I put on for feeding times, his fave peppa ones so that they were ones that he watched less often and he didn't get bored, or i'd sit on the floor with him and he'd wheel his cars around next to me so he didn't feel left out, or read books with him etc. it is doable, i'm still feeding almost a year later :)

I got an ergo when ds was a baby and he could be in there without me having to hold him or anything. I plan on doing that again when I have a new born and toddler. Ergos are awesome, hands free breastfeeding!

I've done it twice, and I find its not that hard. A toddler can learn to occupy themselves, but babies can nurse on the go, so you can read to play with,I've around with your toddler while baby is nursing. A lot easier to nurse than to pump and deal with bottle and all that!

I haven't done it yet but will be in November!
I have a couple of baby carriers that I'll be using pretty much constantly. I can feed this one whenever he/she wants to feed and it can also sleep so I don't need to worry about that and I'll be hands free so can at least read to DD or try and play with her haha.

I found the first 6-8weeks v hard toddler would get v upset during feeding and would push baby off my lap or say baby cot !baby had terrible reflux and was v bad feeder windy colicky crying all time was awful ! It was v emotional but 5 months on things are tons better . I love breastfeeding and my toddler is much more used to things . It does get easier but just be prepared t o feel guilty about the older one . It will pass x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->