BFing after a csection? Advice appreciated!!

farmerswifey

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Im new here hoping for some advice in advance?

I would really like to try BF when my lo arrives in December. However, certain plans have changed now that I am having a C-section due to breech position. Is this going to affect us in any way? Or make it more difficult to start BF ing?

Will everything still come through as normal? Argh! I feel like I dont have a clue what Im doing!!

Help me!! xxx

I have breastfed after both of my c-sections, and it was just fine :) You may be a bit sore and need help finding a position to hold baby in that doesn't hurt your belly incision, but other than that it should be the same. The only difference might be that you don't get to hold the baby right away like a mom who delivers vaginally so don't get to throw the baby right on the breast, but usually this doesn't effect anything. My most recent lo was born early and in the NICU for 10 days, and I didn't get to breastfeed her till day 8, but she got right on and knew what to do! :) Good luck on your csection and breastfeeding!

Im positive it's the placenta detachment/delivery that triggers the hormones for BFing, a friend of mine recently had her LO by C-section and by day 2 was producing more milk than baby was interested in! Of course everyone is different but i don't think the method of birth will harm milk production, i think the biggest problem people have after a CS is positioning of baby for feeding, the stereotypical "cradle hold" seems to hurt some people after a CS but lying down positions and "football holds" seem to work best for them. Im sure people will reply who have had CS themselves and give you more tips but hope this helps in meantime!

I had a planned section this time around, it was really relaxed and a positive experience. Jemima is EBF and we have had no issues, yes it can be a bit sire finding a comfortable position but pillows/breastfeeding pillow will help with this. I had skin to skin with Jemima within 30mins of her being born, (it took that long for them to stitch me up and get me to recovery, then she just latched straight away and stayed there for the next few days!

Make sure you ring the buzzer to get help getting baby in and out of the crib, and show you some different potions to figure out which is Most comfy. Also if you have any pain ask for painkillers, take in Lansinoh cream for your nipples in case of pain. My milk came in on day 2-3 so completely normal.

Good luck and don't worry about the section it really was a positive birth experience for me!x

Oh and any questions you have feel free to pm me.x

Things should just happen same as if it was a natural birth.
I had my 2nd c-section 2 weeks ago.

Do ask for help/advice with breastfeeding.

The hospital I was in offered no support at all and you are expected to do all the nappy changes/feeds etc on your own after a c-section which in the first few hours might seem a bit much, but if you have a partner you should be fine. Its really just those first 8 hrs after the c-section that are the hard-bit where you might not be able to get out the bed, after that you will be able to get up and around and tend to baby on your own.

We had skin-to-skin within an hour of birth

Good luck and enjoy!:flower:

I found it fine. My LO was delivered 8days early by c section, my milk took 3days to come in but they are fine with the colostrum until then. I didn't find the positions painful either but I'm sure everyone is different. Sneezing or coughing is painful though, be prepared for that! You will be absolutely fine! Good luck with everything :thumbup: x

I breastfed after my c-section, it was hard but do-able. It was uncomfortable mostly, but the one piece of advice I can give to any new mom who has a c-section is to STAY ON TOP OF YOUR PAIN MEDICATION!!! If you're supposed to have it every 4-6 hours, make sure that you take it every 4 hours if you can, even if you don't feel like you're in pain, you will feel it and it'll be horrible. That's the one thing that helped with BFing because the first two weeks was most difficult since there's a lot of different positions to try with BFing and it can be uncomfortable holding them in a certain position or lying down, etc. Other than that, just persevere through BFing.. I think it's a lot harder when you have a section!

I ended up having a csection after 24hrs of active labour (baby was 10lbs I was unable to push him out) so not only was I fairly drugged out, but hadn't eaten or slept in over 48hrs, but after post op (about 2hrs after babe was born) I was taken up to the nursery and managed to whip out a boob and nurse. My son latched on right away which was lucky but I think as long as everything goes okay with you, if it's something that's important to you, there's no reason why you can't nurse right away and continue to just as if you had a normal vaginal delivery. For the 12-24hrs after giving birth I was extrememly fatigued, and had been given benadril(SP?) to combat the itching from the morphine (also drowsy I would imagine) so I basically just nursed and slept for 24hours straight, and was really happy to be in the hospital where I could leave my little one worry free while I rested up.. I would say other than the extra pain of getting in and out of bed for feedings, there is no difference in bf'ing after you get through the first 12-24hrs. Milk will come in the same etc etc

Good luck with evrerything and after going through 95% of labour including two hours of pushing, trust me, be glad that you're having a c-section!!! I was hoping for a totally natural,pain free birth etc etc etc and was heartbroken to have to have a c-section, but honestly, I can't wait to have another baby because a planned c-section will be SO much easier!!!!! and If you have any other questions feel free to PM me I am on every day :)

I had an EMCS and had no troubles breastfeeding. LO never left me and when I went to recovery the lactation nurse helped him latch right away. Don't worry about ringing the nurses they are there to help you, I rang a ton of times and they were a great help.

My water broke at 37w1d, baby was breech and I had a Csection. I gave birth at 8:38 PM, and got to hold her about 10 minutes later. DH held her while I was being stitched up, and I think we tried BFing by about 10:00 PM.

I also had no clue what I was doing. The nurses at the hospital were very helpful. The baby also knew just what to do. She was born on a Sunday, I think my milk came in on Tuesday or Wednesday night. My breasts just seemed to explode. :blush:

We had trouble with latching the night my milk came in. I hand expressed some milk out and my daughter was okay after that. She is super chubby and happy almost 3 months later.

You will do just fine. Be patient, and make sure you have lots of help and support. I would not have made it this far without the help from my DH.

Thank you ladies so much for this! I was worried that if I didnt try bf straight away (as in immediately after birth) it would be too difficult.
I want to try so much as I regret not doing it for my DD.
At least if I get stuck or need more support I know I will find it here! You girls ROCK!

xxxxxxxxxx

One problem I had was late milk production. This is due to the lack of hormones from no labor. I did everything right, lots of skin to skin, frequent nursing, and lots of fluids. It just doesnt always happen as quick. We ended up having to supplement with formula due to >15% weight loss and significant jaundice. Milk came in and we stopped the formula cold turkey :haha: the next day. So no worries! Just something to watch for, it might not be a concern at all!

eta: We were able to BF about 30 minutes after birth once I was in recovery room. I had to request LO out of the nursery since they were taking his vitals and washing him up. I think next time I might tell them I want him right away! At the time I didnt mind but now I wished I would have had him while he was still "gooey" like a natural delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->