BFing and 'good' (ish) sleepers

My little guy from 5 weeks sleeps from 10-5, we have him swaddled and white noise that is fairly loud and runs constantly through the night. Hope he keeps it up, looks good so far though!

my girl was prem and i had to wake her 2 to 3 hourly for feeds when she got to the point we could stop manually waking her she just slept through (at around 8 weeks/2 months) she gets up maybe once for a mini feed then sleeps on till 8 am when she's up for the day :) i know its only a mini feed too becauseshe has bad reflux and no problems with her night feed

Great thread- there's me feeling guilty about bed sharing after he wakes up but it seems alot of you guys do it, my LO is 5 weeks and doesn't go longer than 2 hours in the day still but doesn't go 4 hours in the night - but only once, usuall between 1-5 am
Other than that it's a vicious cycle of feeding settling feeding , he will not just feed and sleep:(

My son is 10 months old and has slept straight through 6.30pm until 7am for 3 nights. I'm not expecting it to last. He has never been a terribly awful sleeper though he has always fallen asleep early-Ish and in the night feeds quick and is still pretty much asleep during.

My daughter was the opposite though lol. She was a terrible sleeper. I would say she woke up in the night until age 3, and we stopped bfing at 14 months lol

We have gone through phases with sleep with S but she is a good sleeper.

We co sleep and I have never done any sleep training.

She has just gradually reduced her feeds at night as she has got older. But interestingly I think she dropped the last 2 feeds, middle of the night at 4 and a half months, then she dropped her 10pm ish feed a month ago. I think the timing of this coincided with me getting the start of thyroiditis ( as in based on my symptoms not definite diagnosis). So now with the benefit of hindsight I am pretty sure my milk supply, well let down has been affected, mainly noticeable with late evening and night feeds, so I think she just decided that they weren't worth waking up for! She actually still really needs that last feed though as she was waking up with almost dry nappies, after 12 hours! So I have started waking her for that last feed again. Maybe she just loves her sleep so much she can't be bothered to feed!

I have read though that babies often are frequent night time feeders who have mums who are working full time as it's their opportunity to have some mummy time. I have a good friend who did extended breast feeding and her DD was a great sleeper from 6 months. However her DS who is now 6 months is a dreadful sleeper and waking up 2 hourly. During the day he has to compete with a 3 year old for mummies attention and at night gets her all to himself! But I'm sure you've read all of that with this been your obsession! But out of curiosity does he feed less at night at weekends or when you are around during the day with him?

My DS sleeps for 2-3 hours at a time through the night, sometimes 4 hours before he is ready to be fed again. I find bed sharing has made the biggest difference in him sleeping so well at night. Before I gave in and brought him into bed with me he was sleeping much shorter periods of time.

I gave in last night and has her next to me. (Before that she was in her sidecar and only about 10" further away) and the difference was amazing. 3 hours compared to 45 minutes.

Maybe it was a fluke but I'll be trying it again tonight!

My 10 weeks old has last feed at about 10/11 before I go bed then wakes about 3/4 am then is up in the morning at 7 xx

We have gone through phases with sleep with S but she is a good sleeper.

We co sleep and I have never done any sleep training.

She has just gradually reduced her feeds at night as she has got older. But interestingly I think she dropped the last 2 feeds, middle of the night at 4 and a half months, then she dropped her 10pm ish feed a month ago. I think the timing of this coincided with me getting the start of thyroiditis ( as in based on my symptoms not definite diagnosis). So now with the benefit of hindsight I am pretty sure my milk supply, well let down has been affected, mainly noticeable with late evening and night feeds, so I think she just decided that they weren't worth waking up for! She actually still really needs that last feed though as she was waking up with almost dry nappies, after 12 hours! So I have started waking her for that last feed again. Maybe she just loves her sleep so much she can't be bothered to feed!

I have read though that babies often are frequent night time feeders who have mums who are working full time as it's there opportunity to have some mummy time. I have a good friend who did extended breast feeding and her DD was a great sleeper from 6 months. However her DS who is now 6 months is a dreadful sleeper and waking up 2 hourly. During the day he has to compete with a 3 year old for mummies attention and at night gets her all to himself! But I'm sure you've read all of that with this been your obsession! But out of curiosity does he feed less at night at weekends or when you are around during the day with him?

that's a good point, I am not too sure! :dohh: the last few days have been really bad both weekdays and weekends, but it may be teething related. it might be that during better phases he does feed slightly less during weekends?

Well my LO would wake every 3 hours to feed, even at night until he was 3 weeks old. All of a sudden one night he decided to sleep 7 hours with out a feed and I actually woke up and almost had a heart attack when I saw what time it was :haha:

Then when he was around 5 weeks old he started doing those long stretches continuously and at first they were at weird hours (2am - 9am) But I tried little by little to encourage him to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Basically I wanted that stretch to be from 10pm - 5 or 6am. So during the day I opened all the curtains and exposed him to natural light. Also, he clusterfed like crazy before that long stretch so I tried to cluster feed him earlier on in the evening. I was really controversial about telling my baby when to eat, I really wanted to let him pick his own schedule. But when he started doing this long stretch every night I thought it would be good to use it to set a good bedtime for him, so I tried it and it worked!

Slowly but surely his 7 hour stretches turned into a religiously 9 hour stretch, and now every once in a while (like last night) he'll go 12 hours in between his night time - morning feed, and be sleeping almost the entire 12 hours!

So it is possible to have a naturally good sleeping baby :flower: I thank god everyday for giving me such a blessing lol I remember the first few weeks of him being home, and how difficult it was to wake up several time through out the night! I don't co-sleep but he did sleep in a bassinet right next to my bed (Not sure if that is considered co-sleeping?) but it was still hard for me to get up and feed him only because I have a hard time falling asleep so right when I finally did i'd be asleep for an hour before he woke me up to eat again. :dohh:
I don't miss that at all! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->