BFP... but something doesn't seem right.

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
BFN the day of missed period and 3 days past missed period on FRER digital.

on 5th day past missed period I went to my OB and got a BFP (pic attached).

Today I took my last FRER digital and it said, no but when I broke it open there was a line (pic attached). I have a feeling this isn't sticking.

I am about to go buy FRER line test and maybe another brand (suggestions) and will have an update soon.IMG_4011.jpgimage0.jpegimage0.jpeg

Hey, I saw your other post and was going to respond there but now I've just seen this. it truly is baffling - the doctor's test is SO positive. I really don't know what could be going on, unless somehow the doctor gave you the wrong test (is that even possible? did they test the urine outside of the room, like in a lab?) or it's a miscarriage with hcg that is falling drastically quickly. but within 4 hours of such a positive test I can't imagine you'd get a stark white BFN...

At the same time, FRERs seem to be the bad guy now (sob!) so I am hesitant to trust that either. They were the gold standard for so long but now they seem to be insensitive and wrought with evaps, which is so frustrating...

How are you feeling? what is your instinct here?

Hi Mrs.Katie...thanks so much for responding. I am baffled too! My first pregnancy was showing positives on any and every test at 6 days late (this was 10 years ago though). What tests do you suggest? After reading reviews on the FRER digital, seems like they are very unreliable.

With the doctor test... I peed in a cup right when I arrived and the nurse just used that dip test. Wasn't sent to the lab. My cup had my name and DOB on it. She allowed me to take the pregnancy test home with me, so it was definitely the right test.

My instinct is that I am either having a chemical pregnancy or I ovulated later than I thought...meaning I would actually only be 10-13 dpo today rather than 6 days late.

So have you only taken digitals outside of the doc office?
Ugh, I don't even know which test to recommend anymore! I keep a stock of ICs myself... but then you'll have to wait at least 2 days for amazon to get those to you. Wondfos have given me horrible Evaps, but there's another brand called Pregmate that seems to have good reviews. I have a million of those and have never had issues with Evaps...

Do you have a dollar store anywhere near you, or Walgreens? I'd get another cassette-style test, maybe, especially cause those are so cheap. whatever you do, avoid a digital or blue dye...

hoping for the best for you

How confusing. I do hope everything turns out well :)

So the closest store to here only had FRER line tests and Clearblue which had the +/- and the digital in the pack.

I peed in a cup and tried all 3.
The +/- was BFP RIGHT AWAY!
The FRER was very faint but there
the digital was not working...ugh, bummed!!
pics attached

Is there something wrong or that has changed with FRER? I had wonderful luck with them my first pregnancy but they seem a lot less sensitive now. I thought they used to be the gold standard.

Would a chemical show as strong of a positive as I am seeing on Clearblue with SMU?

3 tests.jpeg 2 tests.jpeg 2 tests 2.jpeg

I would ask for a beta quanative . The only that comes to mind is the hook effect maybe the hcg is so high its messing with test results

I regret turning down the blood test on Friday...I was just in such disbelief.

Can you explain to me more what the hook effect is?

OMG!!!
OK so you are definitely pregnant... the hook effect is when hcg gets so high it basically doesn't register and tests look very faint/negative.
Definitely get betas at this point, see why your hcg is doing.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Also your puppy in the background is so cute

Ahhh! You really think I am???

I am just not used to getting mixed results like this. With DS it was like...every brand was just so massively positive there was no mistaking. I know they say any line counts but it seems like such a huge difference from FRER and Clearblue. I want to get a digital Clearblue but hate to get back out on the roads.

I am gonna look more into the hook effect. Does that mean I am potentially looking at multiples?

And thank you! That's out sweet 5 mo. old puppy Donna...she couldn't quite figure out what I was up to LOL

It could be multiples or one baby . You also could be further along then you think as well :)

You know I have heard of the pee tests actually being more sensitive to a certain kind of hcg, I believe there are two kinds?? But with as dark as the blue dye and the doctors is I would dilute your urine with half water and see what the frer does

Agreed, when I was over 6/7 weeks I used to dip a Wondfo in the toilet after I peed (ok there I've said it. no such thing as TMI here right?) and it would be SO DARK. I can't in good conscience recommend you waste a $$$ FRER doing the same experiment but just figured I'd share. cause why not?

OMG...what a day. I have spent this entire day trying to determine if I am pregnant or not. I will finally believe it now!! I have a BFP!

I took your advice and put equal amount of water in my urine. I only held my urine for maybe 2 hours (possibly less) and got a visible line...no need to squint. It is not the darkest line I have ever seen but it is much more visible than anything I've had on a FRER thus far! Thank you for all your help in trying to figure all this out...I'll believe it now!

FRER.jpeg

Hey, I saw your other post and was going to respond there but now I've just seen this. it truly is baffling - the doctor's test is SO positive. I really don't know what could be going on, unless somehow the doctor gave you the wrong test (is that even possible? did they test the urine outside of the room, like in a lab?) or it's a miscarriage with hcg that is falling drastically quickly. but within 4 hours of such a positive test I can't imagine you'd get a stark white BFN...

At the same time, FRERs seem to be the bad guy now (sob!) so I am hesitant to trust that either. They were the gold standard for so long but now they seem to be insensitive and wrought with evaps, which is so frustrating...

How are you feeling? what is your instinct here?
Reading what you wrote....during my TTC journeys a few years ago FRER was the absolute golden truth, I’m shocked to hear it’s not so reliable now!! Good to know tho!

Don't even need to enlarge that pic it's defo a bfp ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->