Bike or trike??

cookielucylou

Reaction score
Ds is currently 26 months and we want to get him something he can ride on for his birthday, as it isnt until october we are planning on getting it early so he can use it while we(hopefully!) have good weather.
Was thinking about a bike but ideally it will need some sort of parent handle as he wont know how to peddle. Or will he still be too young for a bike and be better with some sort of trike?
We are planning to get DS2 a trike for summer so possibility of them both sharing that but not sure if DS1 would be agreeable with sharing.

Look at the balance bikes. Much better than a trike, they learn to balance then learn to pedal on a normal bike.

We have just bought DS one for his b'day he might be a shade young for it but he'll be ready for it come summer.

I would second the balance bike. Ours had theirs at 3 years. The eldest took to it straight away and loved it totally, he still does really but it's broken so we had to get rid of it!! Our youngest has issues with hers but that is because she is behind developmentally so it's kind of like we've bought one for a 2 yo rather than a 3yo.

I would get a good two wheeler bike with training wheels at 3 rather than a balance bike. That's what we're going to do unless we get it sooner. I've found the Ergo E250 here which is small enough and made specifically for little ones. I think it depends on the child, ours isn't that interested in pushing but I think she'd love pedals. She's getting a trike soon so if she enjoys that I know the bike will be a better way to go for her.

My son has a red plastic motorbike from toys r is with just two huge wheels on it. He hated the thing! But then my youngest as soon as he was Big enough to climb on it he hasn't got of it, and he is 2. He also has a bike with stabilisers, he has picked up steerin very well and can pedal but not all the way around as his legs just aren't long enough yet :)

Look at the balance bikes. Much better than a trike, they learn to balance then learn to pedal on a normal bike.

We have just bought DS one for his b'day he might be a shade young for it but he'll be ready for it come summer.

It really is the best option, easier for both the child and parents who are keeping an eye on them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->