Bipolar

NewMummyx

mummy to 1 and WTT
Reaction score
Im waiting to see a psychiatrist due to my mental histroy of self harm, highs and lows and was wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing?

Anyone else on here that is bipolar and how did you find getting diagnosed? My doctor doesnt seem to take me seriously :dohh: but after looking at my history and my dad being bipolar has put me forward for referral x

I am bipolar, took 5 years to get properly diagnosed. I had been complaining to the docs from 17 and it took a suicide attempt at 22 for them to take me seriously, but then when they do its great.

I had 12 months of meds and then decided (my choice) not to take them any more, i have been med free since and okay most of the time. Im contemplating taking some lighter dosage meds but i want a baby in the next 18months so trying to stay toxic free.

I found ways to deal with it, strong family and friend support and a more supportive relationship.
Hope it all goes well with you :)

Many people suffer from bipolar disorder who see an advantage to share their lives with their pets. Sometimes when they were discouraged and thinking about the conversation or with other people seems to be such a difficult challenge unconditional love and companionship of their pets has been a great comfort.

I'm bipolar. I was lucky enough to be diagnosed at 16 years old, but it was after a couple of years of misdiagnoses.

I don't have any kids yet, but I imagine that it is even more difficult having a 3 month old. It's really good that you are trying to get help though, that is a huge step. I'm glad that you've gotten a referral now. If you need to talk or have any questions, you can PM me, I'd be glad to talk! Good luck, I hope you get some answers soon!

After posting on here another member has said I have signs of being bipolar. I'm scared to go to the doctors in case someone thinks I can't be a mum to my 5 month old. I'm REALLY struggling with life right now. I would love to talk if you wanna PM me, it seems we are both in a similar boat.

Good luck hun xx

I too am bipolar, but was misdiagnosed for 7 years. I have discussed with my doctors about becoming pregnant and none of them have said anything about how I can't be a mother because of it. The court systems here even granted my husband and I custody of my younger sister. My oldest sister has custody of her daughter while being bipolar, and my sister's boyfriend has custody of his son and HE'S bipolar. Being bipolar has nothing to do with your ability to be a good parent.

I'm bipolar. I tried doing this pregnancy w/o meds... my poor husband was like "please go back on them?" My case is fairly severe though... when I start getting manic or mixed, I go psychotic really fast... I've done things like nearly kill myself by running red lights, because they'll go away if I ask them to nicely.

(Spoiler tag for triggers... don't click if you're easily triggered!)

I've done things like try to peel the skin off my arm with a potato peeler, convinced there's worms underneath, not blood. I hear voices telling me to hang myself... going without meds, for me, is not an option.

I've seen many professionals throughout my life; the vast majority reckon I have some form of bipolar. :O gonna get a referal fairly soon xx

I'm bipolar. I tried doing this pregnancy w/o meds... my poor husband was like "please go back on them?" My case is fairly severe though... when I start getting manic or mixed, I go psychotic really fast... I've done things like nearly kill myself by running red lights, because they'll go away if I ask them to nicely.

(Spoiler tag for triggers... don't click if you're easily triggered!)

I've done things like try to peel the skin off my arm with a potato peeler, convinced there's worms underneath, not blood. I hear voices telling me to hang myself... going without meds, for me, is not an option.

Luckily I've had very supportive doctors. My psychiatrist, GP, and OB all agree that I'm to stay on my meds once I get pg.

My symptoms have been very well controlled though since I've been on meds for 8 years.

It took me one year to get diagnosed but I had a wonderful psychiatrist and psychologist team. I as 15 so they were hesitant to give me such a title at such a "young" age...

NewMummyX Our little ones are so close in age! I've recently been having problems but I think it's due to the progesterone only bc I've been on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->