• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birth after shoulder dystocia?

kittykat7210

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
So I had a terrible birth experience last time. Really awful. I do think that most of it was due to under experienced/condescending midwives. I ended up having shoulder dystocia with my tiny 6lb 13oz little lady, after a forced epidural at 10cm (because the midwives couldn’t believe I would be 10cm already since it was my first labour, and told me I just wasn’t coping well without even checking me) and being made to labour on my back. (Other things went wrong but not related to the shoulder dystocia)

Anyway I’m pregnant again, and really want to try again for my water birth. I do believe that my shoulder dystocia was due to the epidural and forced back labour because my baby was tiny! Would they let me? Am I mad for considering it?

Has anyone got any experience of births after shoulder dystocia? Did it happen again? Were you allowed to choose your birth?

My 2nd LO had mild shoulder dystocia, I was labouring in water and the MW checked me and said LO's shoulder was presenting, told DH to hit the alarm and told me to get up to move to the bed and when I moved LO moved and I pushed her out. She was fine and didn't have any issues from it so a different situation but I went on to have another LO and she didn't have shoulder dystocia. Also i had been told I could try for another water birth (although I didn't end up being able to but for other reasons). Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->