Birth Certificate question

Happy

Mummy to Phoebe
Reaction score
OH and I are not married but plan to do so in 2010 in Florida. The question I have is that the baby is going to take his surname however I am not keen on having my surname on the birth certificate I would perfer us all to have the same. Is this possible without us getting married now? I know I can change by deed poll but then I dont want to get married without my maiden name.

Very confused about it all, I tried to google it but it came up with nothing.

I was under the impression that they put the mothers maiden name on the birth certificate even if you are married. That's what they did with us (although I never did take my DH's name they never asked which name I wanted on it--automatically used my maiden name).

on my birth certificate my mother is named in her married name and then has her maiden name in the next box.

Sorry for being dappy but is it your maiden name you don't want on the birth certificate or that you don't want baby to have your surname on birth certificate?

As fo baby you can name them whatever you wish too, doesn't even have to be eitehr of your surnames but what ever name is on there cannot be changed until they are eighteen by deed poll themselves change it, or both parents on the certificate give permission to change the name. However you can be known as whatever you like regardless of what is on your birth certificate.

If it is yourself on the babies certificate that you don't want to use your surname I am not sure at all where you stand, as legally I would not recommmend not putting your current name down, but I do not know the ins and outs?

LOL best bet phone up the register offcie the child will be registered at.

Your baby can have whatever name you choose, it can only be your now name on birth certificate though and if you want Daddy's details on the birth certificate too then he will have to be there to register with you as you aren't married.

This link may be useful for you

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/index.asp

or just give your local office a call tomorrow.

I'd also advise to get 2 copies of the birth certificate at the time of registering as you will need to send one off to get child benefit (they won't accept photocopies) they will send it back to you within a couple of weeks but sometimes you may need to provide the certificate for other things and that way you will always have one spare:happydance:.

I think mothers maiden name goes on anyway.

As your not married i think you have to register the birth, don't think your OH can. Have been trying to think back as we weren't married when we had our son. Kian had to have my surname in hospital which at the time upset my OH.

You can change your name whenever you like, there's an online form you can fill in and you can order certificates of proof to send to official people like the passport office.

We had loads of discussions about surnames. As we're not married yet I didn't want my baby to just have DPs surname as it's my baby too. We've decided that our baby will have a double barrelled surname then when we do get married we'll both have that same double barrelled surname (I wouldn't be happy changing my surname to that of DPs as it seems so outdated and sexist but don't mind changing it if he does too! Did seriously consider not having a surname at all for some time, may come back to that idea in the future).

Hope you manage to work something out - we're now in negotiations regarding the addition / exclusion of a hypen.... I don't want one!!!

x

If you want baby to have OH last name then he need to go with you to register the baby, you cant put he's name on if hes not there while your not married.
I went alone last time and was told the baby would have to take my name as he wasent there, so i had to back with the OH.
Easier this yime though because im married, i can do it on my own.

When we registered Chloe we put my name ans hers and Marks name, but as we are not married we were told if we did get married we would have to register her again, regardless of whos name she took because at the moment she is not 'a child of the marriage' if we got married she would become that and not being a child of the marriage affects her inherritance.

OH and I are not married but plan to do so in 2010 in Florida. The question I have is that the baby is going to take his surname however I am not keen on having my surname on the birth certificate I would perfer us all to have the same. Is this possible without us getting married now? I know I can change by deed poll but then I dont want to get married without my maiden name.

Did you ring to double check what you needed to know?:hugs:

There is something you can do called a statutory declaration. It is more or less as legal as the deed poll, but a fraction of the cost. All you need to do is print it out (can be found on the net, better to do it yourself as solicitors charge loads) take it to a solicitor who will witness it for you (cost me £5 when I changed the spelling of my first name)
You can then use it for which ever documents you wish. I used it when I got married (they still but the other spelling on too though) I use it for banks, rent inland rev etc. You don't have to use it either if you don't want to. You can use it on whichever document you want.
I found all this out from the CAB when I wanted to add a middle name and a spelling change. The solicitor signed it and it has been used loads of places so cannot see why you couldn't use it on birth certificate.

I am sure this works for surnames too, but you may want to check before you start it off. I don't have mine stored anywhere so like I said I only use it on the documents I want to use it for.

Did you ring to double check what you needed to know?:hugs:

Not yet, i'm stuck at work and no one knows I am pregnant!

Oh right:rofl:....you'll have to put the number in your mobile and phone from the toilets:rofl::blush:

I know it's been done before that mum was put on the birth cert as something other than her legal name because they didn't ask for any ID. I used to be a family solicitor and had to then sort out some documents for her to get passports organised. Basically, there was nothing legal to say her name was as was on the kid's birth certs, so the passport agency wanted a written declaration to explain the difference in the names. So I guess it depends on how vigilant they are about checking your name!

I think you have to take something from hospital with you which will be printed out and have your name on it....it was only 9months ago when I last did it but I've forgotten already:rofl::dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->