birth control plans for after this baby is born...

myangel167

Reaction score
I want to breastfeed, and I'm worried hormonal birth control will affect that.

I've heard breastfeeding prevents ovulation but I don't want to risk it. I know quite a few women who got pregnant while breastfeeding.

I don't plan on having another LO for maybe two years or so.

So what is everyone else's plan or experience with birth control methods after baby??

We'll start out with condoms then I plan to look into the Paraguard, it's the non hormonal IUD.

I'm currently taking cerezatte and breastfeeding and it's been fine! No side effects at all!

Birth control plans??? my toddler and my newborn LOL! I was wondering the same so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread X

I have taken cerazette when bfing my two older kids and fed them both without a problem til they were almost a year. I'll be doing the same for a wee while again this time until dh gets the snip, which should be soon.
Personally, I wouldn't rely on bf alone as contraceptive x

I don't have any experience with birth control but I've got a feeling the copper IUD can be inserted shortly after giving birth. X

With my first I was given the mini pill after birth which was safe to take while bfing

I'm hoping to get some ideas from this post. After DS was born I had the Mirena IUD inserted. I had it removed within the first year. It shortened my periods, but made the pain worse. I almost passed out at the store one day from cramp pain. I am terrible about taking pills, but will probably have to do my best until I stop breastfeeding. After our third baby, I plan on something more permanent :)

I'm not too sure yet, but will be definitely using condoms until I've had chance to look into something more long term.

If I end up needing a c section (currently have stage 4 placenta previa so looking likely) then I have asked for my tubes to be tied during the c section. If not then DH will be getting a vasectomy and we'll be using condoms in the the short term as I don't get on with either the pill or the coil. This will be our third child and we really are happy to stop at 3.

PCOS meant that my cycles didn't return at all for 9 months after giving birth, even though I wasn't BFing.
This time I'll probably go on the pill as soon as I can, so I'm not stressing myself out if the same happens again

I am looking into options too. I want to wait at least 18 months - 2 years until we start trying for #2. I had a horrible experience with BCP and was suffering from bi-weekly migraines that got so bad they resulted in vomiting and being bed ridden. My neurologist never thought it could be from the pill. When I stopped taking the pill, about 3 months before we began to TTC, all migraines stopped and I haven't had one since. I refuse to go back on any pill.

I think we may just stick to the condom route. Not always pleasant, but safe. I'll be stalking this thread as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->