Birth of Alexandre - June 8, 2010 (birth injury/feeding problems)

aliss

Reaction score
Okay, I finally got around to it!

Born June 8, 2010 at 0:07hrs
Length of labour: 4 days!
Length of actual labour: 26 hours (pushing *4* hours)

Long story short, I had a very active and healthy pregnancy. Maybe a little too healthy? My baby was BIG... 9lbs, 3oz! He was post-term (not just "late" by dates, but actually almost 2 weeks older than he should have been!)

My water broke on Friday, June 4th, but I didn't realize it as it was very small droplets (!?). On Sunday at 10pm, I finally went to the hospital because I thought I was peeing myself only to be told it was amniotic fluid! Being group B strep positive, I was at higher risk of infection so I was quickly hooked up to an IV for antibiotics and induced. Doctor broke my water (apparently).

From 10pm Sunday night to around 8am Monday, I was awake and walking around the hospital waiting for contractions. They said I was 2cm but I said no... I couldn't feel any pain (no pain relief at this time). 12 hours!

At 8am Monday, the next doctor said my water WASN'T broken, and did it again! Ouch! I spent many hours on gas & air, then cried for morphine (which made baby's heart rate dip 2x), then cried for an epidural. The epidural wore off around 6pm on Monday (10 hours into "real labour") but no anesthesiologist was available for 2 hours. So from around 7-9cm, I was going at it raw! Eeeek.

When I hit 9cm at 8pm, the anesthesiologist came in and gave me another epidural. Suddenly I had to push but couldn't feel it. For around 2 hours, I pushed without any pain. VERY ineffective pushing and distressing to baby.

After 2 hours, it wore off and I could push for real. At around 11:40pm, the doctor told OH that I would be prepped for an emergency C-section at midnight if he wasn't born.

Baby started coming at midnight (I was very very lucky to avoid the section), but got stuck!!! He had shoulder dystocia: https://www.procrea.com/EN/shoulderdystocia.html

Shoulder dystocia can be deadly. Basically, he was so big and I was so small that he got stuck in the birth canal. The doctor broke his left clavicle (collarbone) on purpose to get him out!. If it wasn't done, he could have died.

My plan was to exclusively breastfeed, but he lost so much weight and was screeching for 2 days from the pain of the fracture that I had to toss that plan as well. It involved many lactation nurse visits, overnight emergency room visit for loss of weight, etc. all in just his first 4 days. You can see more about it here.. https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/347334-first-night-my-own-please-help.html

One week later he is on formula, eating and sleeping fairly good for a newborn :cloud9: Although it wasn't the best labour and certainly not the perfect outcome, he is relatively healthy and happy. While the fracture is unfortunate and still healing, when put into perspective of what could have happened (brain damage or still birth), that's ok!!

Attachments

• 2010-06-08 Alexandre 013.jpg
    2010-06-08 Alexandre 013.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2010-06-12 Alex 013.jpg
    2010-06-12 Alex 013.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Baby Pictures 065.jpg
    Baby Pictures 065.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 89
  • baby1.jpg
    baby1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 96
Awww hearing all that makes me just want to cuddle the little guy. I hope he gets better soon. I'm happy to hear you had such a competent doctor that reacted immediately. Congratulations!

Oh gosh, poor little man! Hope his collarbone heals quickly - and I love the pic of him and the dog...hope my dog reacts so well!

Congratulations x

Awww hearing all that makes me just want to cuddle the little guy. I hope he gets better soon. I'm happy to hear you had such a competent doctor that reacted immediately. Congratulations!

Thanks so much :) Our doctor was very good, I had no idea of the danger he was in until she told me after, I'm sure it would have made things a lot worse. Even OH was clueless.

Oh gosh, poor little man! Hope his collarbone heals quickly - and I love the pic of him and the dog...hope my dog reacts so well!

Congratulations x

Thanks, the dog takes time to adjust but they will be best buddies!!

oh my gosh! you poor thing :hugs: I'm so glad that everything turned out ok and you had such a good doctor there.

Wow- poor little guy! Well done you for such a long labour, glad Alexandre was okay, he looks like a nice healthy baby (also, love the pic of him and the dog- so cute!)

Cat
xxx

Congrats on the arrival of Alexandre. So sorry to hear of the labour problems and unfortunate that they had to break his clavicle to get him out but at least he's here safe and sound now. Take care and hope the little guy is feeling better soon! :hugs:

congrats on ur little man!!! was he 3.3kgs born???

Hi Aliss,

got sight of your birthstory in another thread and gosh we almost have d same story, but I think yourz is more painful. I labored for four days and push for two to three hours. No epidural or gas, no V just plain pushing, my throat hurts, my veins in my face n eyes were bloodshot coz of pushing. I was so depressed I thought it was my fault , first time mom and dont know how to push! The midwife did everything, my belly hurts coz of all d pushing but in d end when d midwife gave up n called my doc, d doc found out after vacumming d baby n still can't get out that there's something wrong n it was that "dystocia, my baby's shoulder got stuck in my pelvic bone. Doc open my hole up to my butt " ouucchhh" inserted his two fingers n help baby out. damn, there were no anesthesia or whatever, it was soopainful but thank goodness aside from d small lump in his head (sucking) baby's alright! took me a month to heal, pooing is d most challenging. but bubba is 10 mos now, am so happy.

Congrats to us our baby survives "dystocia"

wow, congrats and i hope he gets better really quickly xx

Wow that was a different story! You are both so brave :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g