Birth of Herbie Jude

Deli

Mum of six!
Reaction score
Sorry this is a bit late, it's been a hectic week lol!

I went to 41+6 with my sixth child so was booked in for induction last Sunday, 15th August. Got to hospital at 8am and was 5cm dilated (hadn't had a single contraction). As I was past 3cm my midwife couldn't give me any Prostin gel so broke my waters. However, the baby's head was so far engaged it acted like a plug and none came out!!

I spent a very long and boring day pacing the corridors waiting for contractions. I was examined at 6.10pm and was found to be 7cm but progress had been very slow (still hadn't had any contractions at this point). A consultant came in and told me that as it was my sixth baby they couldn't give me any Syntocinon hormone drip as my womb could rupture and they'd need to give me a c-section. At that point I burst in to tears! My midwife has delivered five of my children so persuaded the consultant to let me try 3mls of the hormone (basically, less than half a teaspoon). Well, Oh. My. God. I went from no contractions to full blown labour immediately. I tried gas and air but found it impossible to co-ordinate my breathing so gave up. I was standing right up until the end when I got on to all fours on the bed.

I hate pushing so tried to resist!! In the end I pushed him out in 7 minutes. It would've been shorter but his shoulders got stuck under my pubic bone (all my babies have done this!). He was delivered straight on to my chest and breastfed straight away. I didn't have Syntometrine for the placenta as he was feeding so well so that was delivered three minutes later. He weighed 7lbs 11oz.

I had my first son 14 years ago and then went on to have four daughters. I was on team yellow so to be told I had a son was just the most amazing moment.

Herbie Jude was born at 7.20pm and I was back home in my own bed by 9.00pm. I had labial grazes (which friggin kill when I wee!) but they're such a small price to pay for my beautiful boy.

He feeds well, poos a lot like most men and is the love of my life.

All in all, his birth was a positive experience but it was so fast and furious that I was in shock for about two days. Never again! My husband has just gone on the waiting list for a vasectomy haha!

Well done if you made it this far!

xx

many congrats - made me laugh about him pooing lots like most men, lol!x

What a fab name, love it.

Congratulations.

Welcome to the world Herbie.

V xxxx

What a fab name, love it.

Congratulations.

Welcome to the world Herbie.

V xxxx

Thank you! I was in Debenhams yesterday and the person in the lift had a Mamas & Papas pram called Herbie - hope people don't think I named him after that! We have liked that name since our second daughter was born ten years ago - had two more girls since then lol! xx

n y Many congrats to you.. There's hope for me yet, this is baby numbe r 5 for me and it's nice to read someones story of their sixth!

Totally agree, the name is lovely. Hope you're all really happy and well done you! :thumbup:

n y Many congrats to you.. There's hope for me yet, this is baby numbe r 5 for me and it's nice to read someones story of their sixth!

Totally agree, the name is lovely. Hope you're all really happy and well done you! :thumbup:

Aaaw, thank you! How many do you intend to have? I have to admit that we only planned on having four - the last two were "surprises"!

I was really worried that I'd bleed heavily after the birth as I've had so many or that my afterpains would be horrendous but none of that happened. Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Well done and congrats on your little boy! Glad to hear he is settling well at home, hope your other kids are enjoying the new addition!

Well done and congrats on your little boy! Glad to hear he is settling well at home, hope your other kids are enjoying the new addition!

Thank you!

Whereabouts in New Zealand do you live? My sister emigrated to NZ 20 years ago and lives in Clive! I have two Kiwi nephews!

Aaaw, thank you! How many do you intend to have? I have to admit that we only planned on having four - the last two were "surprises"!

I was really worried that I'd bleed heavily after the birth as I've had so many or that my afterpains would be horrendous but none of that happened. Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

I'm a bit concerned about the afterpains and bleeding etc too.. I've heard that the more you have the worse it gets :wacko: But hopefully it's nonsense and it'll all be fine! :lol:

We weren't planning any more than three.. :dohh:

Oops :blush:

Those 'surprises', eh?

My OH is also meant to be getting a vasectomy providing it all goes well with this one.. So we shall be sticking at 5! :lol:

Thanks for the luck :) And congrats again! :happydance:

I'm a bit concerned about the afterpains and bleeding etc too.. I've heard that the more you have the worse it gets :wacko: But hopefully it's nonsense and it'll all be fine! :lol:

We weren't planning any more than three.. :dohh:

Oops :blush:

Those 'surprises', eh?

My OH is also meant to be getting a vasectomy providing it all goes well with this one.. So we shall be sticking at 5! :lol:

Thanks for the luck :) And congrats again! :happydance:

The Dr wouldn't do a vasectomy while I was pregnant for obvious reasons and they won't do it for at least six months after the birth - again for obvious reasons. At my six week check I'll be getting a Mirena coil fitted - not taking any chances this time haha!

My afterpains have been minimal this time - I wonder if it's cos I was expecting them to be hideous and they haven't been as bad as I thought. In fact, I feel physically very well - as will you. I'll look out for your birth announcement!

Congratulations! Beautiful name and reading all these stories really helps put my 1st-time-mummy brain at ease. Thankyou for sharing. xxx

The Dr wouldn't do a vasectomy while I was pregnant for obvious reasons and they won't do it for at least six months after the birth - again for obvious reasons. At my six week check I'll be getting a Mirena coil fitted - not taking any chances this time haha!

:lol: I don't blame you!
The only thing that puts me off the mirena is the horror stories I've heard - But then they can be totally backed up by the success stories too (I'd love not to have any periods at all!).. It's just a scary scary thing for me.. But I can't have the implant or the injection or the pill as the hormones screw with my brainly chemicals - So I guess in order not to take chances I should think about something like that.. Let me know how you get on once you've had it fitted etc :thumbup:

My afterpains have been minimal this time - I wonder if it's cos I was expecting them to be hideous and they haven't been as bad as I thought. In fact, I feel physically very well - as will you. I'll look out for your birth announcement!

Thanks.. I expected them to be awful last time but within a couple of hours of giving birth at the hosp I was mistaken for a visitor.. But then that might have been something to do with the pethidine not kicking in 'til after the baby was born :lol:
The initial afterpains were fine for me last time.. But within a week I really did feel like I'd been run over with a truck.. So I'm hoping that that's actually due to the workload I had at the time as opposed to the 'proper' afterpains.. hopefully this time I'll be as well as you are right now! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->