Birth of my gorgeous little boy - Isaac Thomas Bertie - 17th September 2009

K477uk

Mum of One!
Reaction score
So... Little Limpet (as it was known before birth and sex known!) refused to budge, :nope: despite 4 nights of cramps every 7-8 mins and a few scares of little leaks! It was obviously far to comfortable - and even though I tried coaxing him out, he was staying put. I'd had 2 sweeps and my Blood pressure had started to rise, but was booked in for induction on Tuesday 15th September.

Tuesday 15th
DH worked from home with me during Tuesday as I knew that I would just worry about the induction if I was sat on my own. Some very good friends of ours popped over for dinner and I rang the hospital at 5:30 and they wanted me in at 6:30. So after packing up the car with about about a zillion bags we set off.

After arriving at the hospital we sat in the waiting room before being taken into the monitoring room, were I got checked out and LO was monitored. On inspection I was "nice and soft" and still around 1cm dilated, so they started me off with the pessary at 8:30. I then had to sit there for an hour and a half - but nothing really happened. At 10pm they took me up to the ward and DH was sent home :cry:. I think this was the worse part - as I hated being on the ward without him. Especially as I had people around me watching their TVs really loud - managed about an hours sleep as was woken by one girl arguing with her partner on the phone at midnight! :hissy: Half hour later the prostin pains started - certainly couldn't get comfortable in bed to wandered the corridors - the nurses showed me to the sitting room, where I then spent most of the night breathing through the pains (which were the most painful part of the whole thing!).

Wednesday 16th
DH arrived at 8am (well actually 7:45 :winkwink:) and I couldn't be more happy to see him!! They took me straight back down to the labour ward and hooked me up to monitors and inspected again where I had progressed over night to 2-3cm. The monitors were picking up fairly regular contractions so they broke my waters and I progressed fairly quickly to 4cm. I then stalled and spent about 2 hours stuck at 4cm, so 1pm they decided to stick me on the drip :cry: The first anaesthetist was useless (mainly because I was skirming so much and he was trying to put it in the side of my wrist) The second I almost punched :blush: but they managed to get it in! At this point I decided to start using my TENS machine - so DH hooked me up!

Oh the TENS was GREAT!! I cannot say how great it was! Progress was still going slow and they kept hiking up the drip, but very little was happening until they realised that they hadn't broken my waters properly - so they did it again. I was then moved into the birthing room at 6pm and after an hour I was 7cm. But by this time my Blood pressure had continued to rise, my fluid output was zero and my urates were high so they decided to cut my fluid intake to 50ml and hour and up the drip even more - at this point I needed to use gas and air! During the whole thing I had managed to stay fairly mobile and upright but by 2am I was tired and just had to sit down - but because of the fluid retention it was so uncomfortable to do anything other than lie down. I think around this time they tried offering me an epidural - but I refused as to be honest it didn't hurt I was just tired!

Thursday 17th
By 10am I was fully dilated :happydance: !! and kind of felt ready to push... the doctors and midwives were really quite worried about my blood pressure, fluid output and the fact the Limpet was still very high and back to back so spoke to me about taking me into theatre, I asked for the chance to try pushing, which they allowed me (although I had very close monitoring) so I pushed for an hour and a half but LO refused to budge at all, so I was taken down to theatre so they could try a forceps delivery before moving straight into a C-Section if they couldn't. Unfortunately Limpet was far too high for even forceps so they delivered my little boy at 12:03 by C-Section.

By this point I hadn't eaten for 24hours and not drunk anything properly for 12hours and was exhausted. I got a little kiss (as he was blowing bubbles!!) DH took LO straight to his chest but then he was taken down to the NICU for 2 hours due to a high temp from me, him passing meconium and grunting. After that I got skin to skin and a small feed :cloud9: I finally realised how beautiful my little boy was! :cloud9:

The actual induction wasn't anywhere near as bad or as painful as I expected/imagined it to be... Now I have this little bundle to care for! Thank you for reading!

Isaac.jpg

CIMG3384.jpg

Well Done!!!!!!!! Sounds like it was hard work but well worth it. I know what you mean about one of the worst parts being when they sent your OH home......... Cant believe how well you did xxx

Ahhh you are such a trouper, and little Isaac is absolutely beautiful! Well done to you :hugs:

Well done hun. He's gorgeous. You must be so proud. x

Congratulations Kathryn!! He's gorgeous x

Thanks everyone!

It does seems like such a long time reading it back.. but to be honest it was such a nice experience, I was calm and relaxed through the whole thing and the time just seemed to fly past!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->