Birth plans

Shabutie

Mum to Amara & #2 on way
Reaction score
When do you write them?

When I had my daughter, I never wrote one, and the midwife never asked (to be fair, I only saw her max 2 times throughout whole pregnancy)

I am seeing my midwife a lot more this time round, and she has yet to mention it. I am 26 weeks.

I want to mention a few things that I would like done differently comapred to my daughters birth.

Also, where do you write it and keep it?

Thnaks ladies. :flower:

I printed a form from nhs website and kept it in my green notes. I talked it through with the midwife at maybe 34/36 weeks.

I've had mine written in my notes from being 6 weeks lol, I knew what I wanted - there's a space for birth plans in mine. If not you can print layouts and stuff from online, or just write it on paper and keep it in your notes. I think it's 32/34 weeks they'll discuss it with you and ask if you've got anything planned. It's not something every midwife expects every patient to do as a plan needs to be somewhat flexible so you may need to bring it up to her first xx

I did a super simple one. I asked my OB about it and he was really honest. He said to bring me a flash drive to put it in my chart, keep a printed copy in my folder of stuff to take to the hospital. Keep it really short and simple, otherwise, it's not likely to get read by the staff on hand. I just finished mine over the weekend, I figure it would be good to have just in case.

Here's mine (There's a thing about the size of letterhead above it that has our names, our Doula and our doctor), I know there are other things that are important, but these are the most important to me. I trust my doula and husband to communicate anything else.

This is our first child and we are incredibly excited! Even though this is a new, special experience to us, we know that millions of people have done this before. We are planning to work hard to let my body do what it was built to do and to safely and naturally deliver a baby. We realize that the plan outlined below is the “plan A” and that there are situations that may arise that will alter this plan greatly. We are glad to be in the hands of competent medical professionals that are more than capable and qualified to handle any complications that may occur. We trust that you’ll advise us well and help us make the best decisions possible.

Our Goals
  • I would like to give birth vaginally and without medication so long as it is safe for me and baby
  • I would like to use the help of my coach and support person to manage pain through movement, relaxation and massage.
  • I would like to be as mobile as possible during all stages of labor, moving around and changing position to find whatever is comfortable.

In case of unexpected situations
  • If at all possible, please discuss all available options with my husband and I, then give us a few minutes to come to a decision
  • If a cesarean section is medically required, I would like my husband to be able to stay with me as long as possible
  • Please do not offer pain medication. If my labor is particularly long or intense, I will ask for it if I need it.

Newborn Care
  • I would like to hold the baby and deliver the placenta while holding the baby
    Please delay cord cutting until the cord has stopped pulsating
  • I would like to have the baby evaluated in my presence
  • I plan to breastfeed and would like to begin immediately. Please do not give the baby a bottle of pacifier.
  • I would like to feed on demand and have the baby with me as much as possible to facilitate this
  • We would not like to have our son circumcised

Sojourn that's a really clear plan. Guessing you might be in USA? Would it be normal there for the hospital to take the baby away, or give babies bottles and pacifiers?

Yep! I am in the US where hospitals are based on efficiency due to a failing multi-payer system...It has it's benefits and draw-backs.

My hospital is pretty good about not doing things that interfere with bonding/breastfeeding. All births are attended by midwives (not the case in all US hospitals). However, there's still a chance that if you don't make your wishes known, things will happen that you don't really want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->