Birth story of Oscar 18/05/2010 warning long with pics

rach2010

Mummy to Ava & Oscar
Reaction score
Well, for the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy id had quite a few labour scares. Baby was back to back, and the midwife later told me that it was just baby engaging. Anyway i had got quite fed up and sick of "is this it?" towards the end that on mon the 17th may i didnt think anything of it when i had a tummy ache all afternoon. I had been with my sister all day, and my parents had just gone on holiday to new york that day! By tea time i noticed my tummy going hard at intervals and LO sticking his bum right out of me! It was sticking out so much my sister was very shocked, it was like he was going to burst out of my side! I didnt actually realise that this was contractions! (even though this was my second pregnancy!) they werent hurting, just uncomfty and cus LO was sticking right out i just thought it was him playing silly buggers!!

My sister went home after tea, and i put Ava to bed at 7. From 7 to 8pm i then started to time the tightenings, just because i noticed they were coming and going, but i wasnt convinced it was labour! but they were coming between 2-3 mins!
OH came home at 8, and we watched a bit of tv. The contractions had become a little stronger, and my bump was going rock soild, but they werent very painful, even the engaging pains i had previous had were worse!

I decided to go to bed early at 9ish to sleep it off and i took some paracetamol.
I couldnt sleep, they were becoming a little more uncomfty, but not painful, just from where LO was sticking his bum out, it really felt like he was gunna rip through!
OH came to bed at 10 and was quite worried (its his first baby) he moaned that i should ring up l&d because they were coming every 2 and 1/2 mins excatly, but i told him it was nothing and not to get his hopes up after the previous scares. He kept bugging me and i promised him that in an hours time i will ring if nothing changes. He was happy with that. I couldnt sleep so while OH laid in bed, (probly on facebook lol) i had a bit of a bounce on my birthing ball, to try to get LO to shift so he wouldnt keep sticking out.

Then just before 11pm i got into bed to try to sleep, but i couldnt the tightenings kept coming every 2 and 1/2 mins, and then suddenly felt a weird flutter from within and then my waters broke! I jumped right out of bed, and OH knew exactly what had happened, he was up like a shot too.

I ran to the toliet, and i was soaking wet. I pulled off my pj bottoms and pants but then noticed it was a greeny\black colour and instantly panicked, knowing it was meconium. It kept gushing out of me but i managed to put on clean pants, pad and pjs. Rang up l&d and spoke to them, and they said i didnt sound like i was in established labour but cus my waters was green\black they told me to come straight in.

OH was extremly excited, because after all the labour scares, i was finally in labour! He was starting to think it would never happen. But he was just as freaked as me with the meconium in the waters.

Since my parents were on holiday, my younger sister was are transport and me and OH doesnt drive. Both my parents and sister wanted baby to wait until they got back, but no he was on his way now!

OH rang my sister and she thought he was taking the mickey! cus she had been with me all day. She was really scared about the whole situation, as she had only passed her driving test at the end of last year, and was really hoping that my parents would be doing it.

Sister and her bf turns up, and her bf stays at our house because we left Ava in bed asleep, while Laura my sister was going to take us to hospital. She come into the house and told my OH not to panick, but then she started to panick when she walked in on me in the loo surround in green/black water!

On the way to the hospital, i flooded her carseat! even though i was sat on a bin liner.

We got dropped at the hospital at 11.30pm, and i got out of the car and i was soaked waist down, it was horrible, it even had lumpy bits!
The maternity reception told us to go to triage ward so we made our way there, and the contractions were coming thicker and faster!
The midwife who greeted us wanted to see the pad i had brought it so i shoved her the bag and ran to the loo, so i could change into my nightie and clean up a bit. When i walked out she was gone, just OH was stood there and he told me that we had to go straight to a delivary room down the corridor. We were the greeted by the senior midwife on duty who said she would be looking after me.
Because of the meconium the baby had to have constant monitoring and the midwife ony left the room once or twice. She examined me and i was 3cms, and she asked if i wanted some gas. I said "no i dont have gas" and she looked at me weird and repeated herself, i was laughing cus i thought she asked if i had gas lol.I declinced the gas and air this stage and breathed through the contractions with my OH holding my hand. I felt really disgusting because my waters were still gushing out of me every now and again all over the bed. The midwife said this would keep happening till the baby was born....great.

A student midwife then joined us, she was really nice and having just finished my dental nursing course didnt mind having a student there. At this point i asked for the gas and air. The contactions were getting really intense that i could no longer carry on speaking to my OH.They were becoming really unbareable but OH was fantastic and really encouraged my deep breathing.The midwife then examined me and i was 7cm and they was going to put a clip on LOs head. As soon as they did that and oh boy did that hurt! she told me i could start pushing! This was good because the urge to push was really imense, i remember telling OH that i wanted to poo. I had an epidural with my daughter and had not experienced this before. The midwife said " you dont need to poo, thats your babys head!"
I gave one big push and the head was out, it was a weird feeling, and then another 2 pushes and it felt like a warm slippery snake had come out of me! But the relief and then hearing my baby cry was amazing.

He was quicky checked over, and because of the meconium there was a baby doctor at the delivery but she was not needed because he was fine! A bit pooey but fine! He was lifted to me for some skin to skin contact while i had the injection for the afterbirth. Me and OH was totally amazed and shocked, but how quickly it was happened. My labour from when my waters broke was 3 and 1/2 hours! We were busy staring at our son, while i delivered the placenta, which was actually quite painful, they were digging around and pulling before i got told to give one last push, it felt like i had to give birth to another baby!
I had no stiches or tears, and baby Oscar was born 2.25am on tues 18th may, weighing 7lb and 1 and 1/2 onces :cloud9::cloud9:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/WinterRaine/Photo0629D-1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/WinterRaine/Photo0640.jpg

aaaw he's beautiful. what a good story too. congrats to u both xx :hugs:

just adding some more pics

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/WinterRaine/Photo0662.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/WinterRaine/Photo0197D.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members