Birthday cake rant

MrsBandEgglet

Mummy to 3, expecting #4
Reaction score
My husband is insisting on making the decorations for my sons birthday cake himself arrrggghh! I said we'd make a plain cake ourselves but then buy some decorations off ebay. This was what i wanted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUSTY-FR...Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item3a880bceab and some Planes ribbon to go round it. He's adamant he can make this planes model out of icing himself and won't blumming listen. He's gonna make it look such a mess and he's making it too complicated. Plus, i think it's just gonna be a waste cos he'll realise how hard it is, give up and we'll have to buy this off ebay anyway.

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! MEN!!!!! :dohh::dohh::growlmad::growlmad::growlmad::growlmad::growlmad::growlmad:

I would let him make it.

I love personalising cakes for the kids. They by no means look professional but i would be pretty upset if the husband thought id make it look bad.

Do you have any planes figurines? If it doesnt turn out well id just use small figures to decorate it.

Awwwwwwww me and my oh made our dd birthday cake. It looked shit but it was made with love. We then brought a back up and a friend who makes cupcakes for a living made us 18 nice ones :) it was lovely x

Awwwwwwww me and my oh made our dd birthday cake. It looked shit but it was made with love. We then brought a back up and a friend who makes cupcakes for a living made us 18 nice ones :) it was lovely x

That's what he says, that he wants to make it cos then it's a personal effort. I just want it to look remotely like the Planes character lol, so people do actually get it. We have a Planes theme and the highlight was supposed to be the cake.

How about he makes one and you make one. He can make his his way and you your way :) xx

How about he makes one and you make one. He can make his his way and you your way :) xx

OMG! I can't make it lol, I wanted to just buy one :haha: I'm gonna let him do it and trust him. I'll buy the ribbon, he suggested using wrapping paper as an alternative to this lol :dohh: Ultimately he just wants to save money but I don't think he realises how much he's gonna spend doing it himself.

I think you're going to have to let it go. I can understand that you've got the theme and you want it to be perfect, I honestly can understand that feeling. But I think you have to just accept that he wants to make his son's cake himself, and if it goes wrong it goes wrong. It's just a cake.

If the thread was the other way round, i.e. "I was really excited to make my son's cake and it took me ages, but OH said it ruined the theme of the party and he was embarrassed by it" then I think people would be coming down pretty heavy on the OH.

If you've got the ribbon and you've got other Planes stuff then I think people will be pretty dense not to 'get' that the models are planes, even if they aren't very professional.

x

OMG! I can't make it lol, I wanted to just buy one :haha: I'm gonna let him do it and trust him. I'll buy the ribbon, he suggested using wrapping paper as an alternative to this lol :dohh: Ultimately he just wants to save money but I don't think he realises how much he's gonna spend doing it himself.

LOL I don't think he's going to save money doing it himself, if that's his only reason then he's being daft! x

I agree he wont save money, it costs a lot to get all the bits needed for that.

The idea of using wrapping paper instead of ribbon made me giggle. sorry. Yeah it would save money but a) it wouldn't look great and b) when you attach it to the cake you run the risk of the ink from the paper running the cake.

I made a home made planes cake for ds birthday in sept.... unfortunately I can't find a pic to shw you but I made a dusty out of coloured royal icing. Admittedly, it was shit :rofl: but people recognised it, and importantly my ds did :)..... I much prefer to make his cakes (and I'm no good at it!) as he chooses a flavour (last yr it was carrot cake, this year it was banana and choc) you can't buy children's theme cakes that are something more than boring sponge and lots of sugary icing!

I made a home made planes cake for ds birthday in sept.... unfortunately I can't find a pic to shw you but I made a dusty out of coloured royal icing. Admittedly, it was shit :rofl: but people recognised it, and importantly my ds did :)..... I much prefer to make his cakes (and I'm no good at it!) as he chooses a flavour (last yr it was carrot cake, this year it was banana and choc) you can't buy children's theme cakes that are something more than boring sponge and lots of sugary icing!

Yeah, we saw one in tesco and it looked crap lol. Was a tenner too and pretty small - I have 20 children plus loads of adults coming!! :dohh:

Now I've got all the things I need to decorate a cake it's not too expensive but the first cake I made was over £80 getting supplies :lol:

I would let him make it, he might surprise you :) if not it will be something to laugh about when looking back at pictures.

I think its personal enough your making the actual cake, I think if the only thing your gonna be buying is a plane decoration then go for it. It will 100% cost your OH more to make it than the actual item you want costs.

Xxx

ide let him have a go... i got quite hacked off with my ex because he told me ide ruin my LOs cake making it myself!
told him to sod off, i wanted to have a go & if it was crap... well LO wouldnt remember anyway.

turns out my A* GCSE came in handy.

I see no point in making something yourself if it's going to cost more (and likely not look as good) as one you can buy.

I'm all for a bit of DIY, but only when it makes sense!

I see no point in making something yourself if it's going to cost more (and likely not look as good) as one you can buy.

I'm all for a bit of DIY, but only when it makes sense!

I don't agree with this. I think it's important to make my child's cake and not pointless even if it does cost more..... Plus, you're probably going to spend more by buying a big enough cake for 20+ kids x

It's quite nice in a way - LO will know his daddy spent time making him a cake, even if OH's main reason was to save money!

Maybe you could compromise but in a way that's 'better' for LO. Get a small toy rather than a proper cake decoration for the main plane, but ask OH if he can make other details (no idea what, trees, a runway etc?). Then you get a cake that's definitely recognisable even if there are green and grey blobs around the plane, and LO gets to keep the toy afterwards :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->