Birthday cake rant

I see no point in making something yourself if it's going to cost more (and likely not look as good) as one you can buy.

I'm all for a bit of DIY, but only when it makes sense!

I don't agree with this. I think it's important to make my child's cake and not pointless even if it does cost more..... Plus, you're probably going to spend more by buying a big enough cake for 20+ kids x

I was referring to the decoration, not the entire cake.

If hubby randomly announced he wanted to make Daisy's cake I'd freak. I'd have said I'd already brought the bits I needed (or in my actual case I'd have said I've already ordered one with a cake maker) - I hope it turns out well - if the worst happen you could always pop to tesco x

That's tough. I always have a special place in my heart for Claire's birthday cakes, I'd be gutted if they turned out badly! :nope:

Could you order the bits anyways and have them as back up if it fails? :flower:

I was thinking maybe you could have a main cake with the decoration you want and then lots of cupcakes on the bottom tier that your OH could decorate.

I think it's lovely he wants to do it.
My hubby thought my cakes would be crap but I love that I made my sons 1st and 2nd birthday cakes.
I made him a race track for his 2nd and used real little cars instead of icing ones as I messed those up.

I think the question you need to ask is who are you embarrassed to see the cake? If your child is old enough to be upset fair enoug but if it's just adults why do you care if it's not perfect. Anything home made is worth more than shop bought when viewed in a non monetary light.

Someone said it best, if you wanted to make it and your husband said No it will look crap how would you feel?

If it was because he was wanting to do it for sentimental reasons I would say fair enough but it seems to be for saving money, which it won't, so seems a bit pointless

If it was because he was wanting to do it for sentimental reasons I would say fair enough but it seems to be for saving money, which it won't, so seems a bit pointless

Yeah it is, I think the sentimentality is in that he's making the actual cake himself, which I completely agree with. it'll be much much tastier for a start but he just resents spending about £9 on the planes model that he's certain he can recreate himself. I added up the ingredients and the difference in cost is barely £2 and that's assuming it goes ok. I'm gonna let him do it, and if/when it turns out more of a mess than we can get away with lol I'm just gonna buy Arf a new planes figurine to go on it and he'll get a new toy too.

I hope it turns out ok, he may surprise you! Granted his motives for doing it aren't the best but I think it's nice, so long as he follows through and puts in the effort.

Even if it turns out a little imperfect, I'm sure your lo will love the fact that daddy spent the time doing it himself. Especially when he's older and sees the pictures.

I'd definitely have a back up though!!!

I would let him make it. I'd love it if my oh wanted to do this.
It wouldn't matter to me or the children if it looked rubbish. In fact my son thinks I make the best birthday cakes ever!

I also don't know where the idea that it's going to be more expensive comes from. You can buy pre-coloured icing from cake decorating shops which cost such a small amount. The most expensive thing when I make cakes is that I always put marzipan on under the icing.

I hope it turns out well!
I think you are doing the right thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->