• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birthing center & ultrssounds?

macydarling

Reaction score
Hi there! I am currently 7wks along an have my booking appt 1/20 at the birthing center.

First of all, I LOVE the center I chose and everyone has been wonderful to me thus far. I've been dealing with hyperemesis and haven't even had an appt yet but the midwife has been super supportive via phone.

This is my second preg, my first was a mmc. Saw a strong hb at 9wks, no hb at 14wks, baby measured only 9+1. No bleeding or cramping, didnt pass the baby on my own and needed a d&c. I went to a traditional obgyn and really had a horrid experience which I why I went with the birthing center this time.

The only thing is the birthing center does not do ultrasounds. I have been a bit back and forth on this as I figure an early scan won't guarantee anything anyway proven by my mmc. But I wonder how will we know the preg is progressing properly without a scan? I would have had NO idea with my mmc without the scan. I know the center doesn't do ultrasounds in the building but maybe they could send me somewhere else? Or are there either ways to know baby is progressing without a scan?

I will ask at my appt but I sure am curious now. Thanks xx

I'd ask the MW about being referred for a scan. You couls always do a private one if not? Its not like a scan will actually make a difference to if the pregnancy works out but I can see why you would want a bit of reassurance.

I had HG too, so I sympathise, I hope it doesnt last too long for you. I didnt have a scan until 13 weeks either pregnancy partly because I could barely move before that.

I'm sure they will refer you to an ultrasound if something comes up that needs investigating (e.g. bleeding, questions on the fetal position, etc). I am avoiding ultrasounds this pregnancy -- no 20 week scan by choice -- unless something comes up that warrants investigation.

Ultrasounds are totally overused these days, and just about every medical organization recommends that they only be used when medically indicated. Not many doctors listen to those recommendations though. It's true that they don't affect outcomes, and also they can be highly inaccurate when it comes to diagnosing certain anomalies, fetal weight, length, soft markers, etc. I know it's stressful to be uncertain until you feel baby kicks, but I totally think it's worth it in order to have a midwife and birthing centre birth! :)

Once you're far enough along, they will be able to monitor baby's progress by your belly growth and feeling the baby. I know it's hard waiting until that point, but I have to say I agree with pp!

My last ultrasound was for fetal abnormality testing. The only time I got one that wasn't part of that was only because the doppler wasn't picking up a heartbeat. Now that it does, I won't be getting anymore I'm told. They stopped doing them for me at 18 weeks and only that long because I had first trimester bleeding.

Thanks for all the info ladies! Incidentally I wound up admitted to the hospital for a week due to my hyperemesis and they did an ultrasound there! Healthy little nugget with a strong hb!

I do agree that they do more ultrasounds an necessary these days. I totally spaced on the doppler, duh! Hearing the heartbeat thru that will be all the reassurance I need :) the midwife tried it at my 8wk appt but we couldn't hear anything yet, she said it is probably too early. Hopefully at my 12wk appt we will get to hear that lovely sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->