Bit late... Jake Michael is here.

pinkribbon

Mum of 3 boys
Reaction score
My story is rather late because I had a bit of a rough time both before and after birth and I'm still not feeling 100%, this is the first time I've had the time or energy just to sit down and write this! It might be a bit rambled cause I have a huge headache and I'm still tired! :dohh:

27th August was my birthday and I wasn't feeling very energetic at all. I had random cramps here and there and just generally felt under the weather. 28th my Mum and OH ended up driving me to hospital miles away from the one I was meant to deliver at (that one is midwife led and has no doctors) because the antenatal unit at our nearby one wasn't open (ridiculous). They took water samples and suspected preeclampsia. My hands, feet and face were swollen, I had diahorrea and stomach cramps and on and off headaches. They sent me away with a big tub to do a 24 hour urine sample and I returned the next day. I ended up on monitors on and off all day, and they decided I'd have to stay there to monitor me further. They were discussing giving me a sweep and inducing me, although they never really gave me a definate when which at the time was really upsetting. I think I cried on the first night in hospital because I hated being there on my own. There were 2 women on the ward with me and they talked until god knows what time so I never got any sleep.

I'm gonna be honest and say the next few days were a blur. I was having blood taken, urine samples taken, I had to do a chart of how much fluid I was drinkig and passing, blood pressure, temperature... you name it. I was so tired and achey, I barely slept and all the days seemed to merge into one... I remember asking OH what day it even was because it just seemed to be one continuous stretch...

Anyway long story short they told me I didn't have preeclampsia, just leaky kidneys but they'd still have to induce me, so I was moved into the delivery ward and given a tablet thing (can't remember what they were called) up my lady bits to try and start me off. They moved me at 9pm, the ward was so busy with people in the later stages of labour I didn't get seen to until 11.30 so I was exhausted. They told me they'd wake me at 6am to give me another one and then see if they could break my waters. I didn't get any sleep that night as all I could hear was women screaming and honestly I was a bit freaked out thinking it could be me soon!

6am came they gave me another tablet and hooked me up to the monitor yet again, checked my cervix and it wasn't doing anything. They said they'd have to get the doctor to perscribe the 3rd tablet so they'd have to ask his advice. He perscribed it and I was given a 3rd tablet.

4am the following morning I woke up hearing a beeping noise and was curious as to what it was. I sat up in bed and felt a big pressure like I was dying for a wee, so got out of bed to go to the loo. I got just next to the doorway and felt a trickle down my leg so buzzed the midwife and she told me my waters had gone. I asked if I could phone my Mum and OH (they had to stick to visiting hours) and she told me to wait until 8.30am when they could come. By 6am I told her no, I'm phoning them now lol. As my waters continued to leak my bump sort of deflated, that was really wierd.

Can't remember what time it was but someone came in and put me on a drip which throughout the day they turned up which made my contractions stronger and stronger. I was on the monitor permanently so couldn't move off the bed and all the pain was in the base of my back (he was back to back) so I felt like my back was going to snap in half. They gave me a birthing ball which they sat right next to the bed so I ended up sat on the ball with my arms over the bed trying to cope with the pain. OH put heat packs on the base of my back and stroked my back except from when I was having a contraction I felt like I couldn't be touched.

I had 2 injections of diamorphene which made me feel drunk, I remember uttering something about Myleen Klass stealing the limelight which OH and Mum found hilarious. Jake had to have a monitor clipped on his hed becuse they kept losing his heartbeat with the way i was sat so I had wires here there and everywhere. there was a fact card about the epidural pros and cons which I'd read and decided NO WAY was I getting an epidural, but i did end up having one. OH had to sit me up because I didn't have the strength to myself and it did absolutely nothing at all, waste of time. I was about 8cm by the time the anaesthatist left and before I knew it i was pushing. I was convinced I was going to poo and kept apologising in advance but I didn't, and after about 29mins of pushing Jake was born weighing 8lbs 1.5oz.

After the birth i was moved onto another ward full of women and the first night was a nightmare. Even when Jake slept their babies screamed and screamed and the lady next to me didn't even see to hers when it was choking so 3 midwives burst in. I couldn't straighten my back properly after that damn epidural and peeing was painful. I had 2 tears, perinium and labia which wasn't nice. 2 days later I was still in hosp with high blood pressure and a temperature and THE SAME BED SHEETS I'd had after giving birth (you can imagine they were a mess). I was finally allowed to be moved to the hospital that was local to us and ended up staying there a night. Jake cried all night wanting fed and my nipples were bloody and very very painful and that night was just a nightmare. i passed 2 huge clots which needed to be checked over. They then told me I was anaemic so wanted me to stay another night but I literally couldn't hack it and took myself home. I'd been home a night when I couldn't stop throwing up and had really bad diarhoea, we ended up seeing an emergency doctor who said I had gastro something or other and the painkillers and iron tablets they'd given me were making it worse.

OH ended up taking Jake in a seperate room for a night because I was literally hysterical I hadn't slept in a week and was so ill. Once I had some sleep I felt a bit better but I'm still tired and under the weather. I've ended up giving up breastfeeding which I was pretty upset about, but he was constantly wanting fed and with me being ill and sleep deprived I just couldn't cope. My nipples were terrible.

He is a gorgeous baby though, he makes loads of funny faces and farts and snores like his dad. They say you forget the pain after it's happened and that is totally true, giving birth seems like a distant memory to me. Motherhood totally kicks in. I'd never even held a newborn and something just lets you know how to do things!

Congratulations on your baby boy - sorry you had such a tough time, hope you start to feel better soon. x

Congrats on your baby boy! What an awful time you had :(

And kudos for being so accepting about breastfeeding, what's best for your and your baby! xx

Congrats on your baby boy! What an awful time you had :(

And kudos for being so accepting about breastfeeding, what's best for your and your baby! xx

Congrats on your lovely little boy! Sorry you had a bad time in the hospital! xx

oh you poor love, had a right crap time of it hun,- know all about the nipple thing, and gastro however you spell it, but not all at once so i think your well hard! lol!

you've done really really well, he looks a stunner. try and catch up a bit before you get too run down!xxxx

Welldone hun!!! Sorry you've had a rough time, you will feel much better very sn. x x x x x

well done you, he is gorgeous! Hope you start to feel better soon x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->