Bit of a dilema re: stopping breastfeeding and Controlled Crying with 20 M.O

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for everyones opinions on this.
My 20 month old has co-slept with me since about 5 months old, she's always been B/F, I've never expressed, so we are very close. I have decided it is time she went in her own room and its also time to stop b/f.
I chose tonight to give her her last B/F and also to start CC in her own room. So bathed her, then took her to the bedroom and fed and cuddled her for 20,30 mins (was really hard knowing it was her last ever feed ) and then told her she was going into her new bed. Not sure she understood. Was expecting hours of cryin, but 15 mins later she is snoozing away. I'm sure she will be awake again before long but so far so good.

So my dilema, do I continue Breastfeeding a few nights longer so she knows its bath, feed, bed....or do I just kill 2 birds with one stone and stop feeding too? Just worried its a bit much doing both at the same time, but can also see the benefits. Opinions/Advice anyone? xxxxxx

I read that kids are fast learners & if you do it all at once its quicker & easier - otherwise you have 2ce the learning time. (We recently did cc) I was debating about stopping rocking, pacifier,etc all at once or one at a time. We chose to just do the rocking now & deal w/ pacifier later but thats just me. But Megan wasnt breastfed - so cant really know what thats like for both of you.

If you think she can go w/out the bf then I'm sure she can do it all at once. Depends on how you feel about it all. I think its toughest on mommy! Like you said - she was asleep w/in 15 min!

I read that kids are fast learners & if you do it all at once its quicker & easier - otherwise you have 2ce the learning time. (We recently did cc) I was debating about stopping rocking, pacifier,etc all at once or one at a time. We chose to just do the rocking now & deal w/ pacifier later but thats just me. But Megan wasnt breastfed - so cant really know what thats like for both of you.

If you think she can go w/out the bf then I'm sure she can do it all at once. Depends on how you feel about it all. I think its toughest on mommy! Like you said - she was asleep w/in 15 min!

Thanks for the reply, thing is she b/f more for comfort. She doesnt have a dummy or a comfort blanket or anything, so i know its going to be hard on her, but shes wanting feeding every 30 mins through the day AND night, and i know shes not hungry. Maybe I should see how tonight goes? She's handed the CC better than expected, maybe she might suprise me with the b/f too ( fingers x!)xxxxx

I stopped bfing this week too, William is 17.5 months old and was only having a bedtime bf, he's not been very good at relaxing or calming himself before sleep times before so thought he'd struggle but he's coped better than me!

I dropped to just letting him have one side at bedtime for 5 nights after telling him that as he was now a big boy he didn't need booby juice so it was going away, and let him have a drink from a new 'big boy cup' while in his new 'big boy pjs' (with stars on as he's crazy about them!). Then the first night without bf told him it had all gone so he'd have to go to bed without it, he moaned for less than 5 mins and that was it! I came out and cried though!

I would explain it all to LO so she understands whats going on, think William took it on board and was less of a shock iykwim?!

Hope you find something that works for you, I've been relieved that weaning him actually hasn't been a fraction as stressful as I had thought it would be!

:hugs:

I don't really know, but I hope you find the support you need.
I suspect only you can tell how your LO may handle it.
At 14.5 months and back up to 6-7 feeds / 24hrs (cutting 5 teeth atm) I can't imagine H being ok with that kind of change all at once.

I'm also interested to know how this goes for people, I'd like to get to 2 years, but keep wondering where this 'morning and bedtime feeds' will come in.

I hope it goes well for you both, however you arrange it :flower:

:hugs:

I don't really know, but I hope you find the support you need.
I suspect only you can tell how your LO may handle it.
At 14.5 months and back up to 6-7 feeds / 24hrs (cutting 5 teeth atm) I can't imagine H being ok with that kind of change all at once.

I'm also interested to know how this goes for people, I'd like to get to 2 years, but keep wondering where this 'morning and bedtime feeds' will come in.

I hope it goes well for you both, however you arrange it :flower:

Thanks. I also find most people with similar aged toddlers have managed to drop feeds to once or twice a day. That would have been ideal for me but u fortunately Amy has other idea's and is very much a snacker,on and off all day...I wouldnt like tocount how many feeds,I think if she had her way she'd been on all day! Think I'll just play it by ear and see how tonight goes. Feeling incredibly guilty but guess I have to wean her at some point seeing as she is showing no signs of self weaning and causing mesomuch pain nipping my nipples and cutting them :( xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->